Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lid delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
why would you want it up front...
that moves it away from the point of combustion...
you want the IAT as close to the combustion point as possible without being effected by the combustion heat itself...

example...
at the front of your car...on a cold day... IAT see's 30*
but the air that goes into your intake is at 55* because of the heat of the engine bay...
now you have inaccurate fueling because of bad IAT placement

if you have it just past the Throttle body...
that 55* air is going to be seen by the IAT and your fueling will be corrected properly.(assuming you have the tune dialed in correctly)
I moved mine cause I bracketrace the car and I need the iat to read the same everytime. We don't see temps out here that cold but when it gets 100 plus, I don't need the iat next to the engine pulling timing. I need it to read true ambient temp, not hot *** air coming in through an airbox on top of a hot radiator.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
ive seen a few slp lids have a problem with one or both of the latch popping open. Why i sold mine
Thats a motor mount problem not a lid problem. Or they arent tucking the front of the lid in the base like its supposed to.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my lid now hasn't popped off once I even have a solid sleeve that dosnt flex from TB to lid
Old 03-04-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Moving IAT

I agree! I always enjoy when measurement/test procedures are modified to get desired results. [bracketracerZ28] Do you work for climate researchers at the East Anglican climate center?

[QUOTE=soundengineer;12981001]why would you want it up front...
that moves it away from the point of combustion...
you want the IAT as close to the combustion point as possible without being effected by the combustion heat itself...

Last edited by BRD-PREY; 03-04-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-04-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if anyone wants to trade their lid for my fipk, pm me, lol!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the FIPK kit with the free ram air mod and it works great, just cut a hole in the sheet medal radiator support that comes with the FIPK kit under the filter and the air comes up past the radiator through the hole you cut to the filter. Sure when you are sitting still you will get some heat from the motor but when moving the air coming in is fresh. I can't say for sure if it is faster than a lid or not, ( I had a lid), but with the FIPK when I first installed it I could hear the air rushing in the TB at WOT so louder is better right?