Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The truck ignition coil upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 11:16 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

FYI, these are Granatelli Motorsports zero Ohm wires. You can see the ferrite ring around the wire that reduces RFI. These wires are on the Ascender now, a new set awaits the Trans Am.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[Guess it wants me to put the message here? QUOTE=JakeFusion;18896510]Paul, this is awesome. I was looking at doing the D585 upgrade for my car, but the D585 won't fit with the new Proform Cast Aluminum valve covers I'm doing.

BUT the D581s will fit, and I understand they are just as good.

So, if you want to run that setup, it's something like this:
GM D581 Ignition Coil #12558693
GM LS2 Ignition Coil Wire #12601824
Proform LS Ignition Coil Brackets #69521 for D581 Coils
13" Long Spark Plugs... MSD 39849 or FireCore50 PF-3007 both work

I'll see how this all fits together...
Jake, did you ever get your setup all together? I'm curious as I've got 168000 on my 2000 Z28 and now am getting coils 2 and 8 to start to fail and I had been looking to upgrade my coil situation before putting my new bullet in and liked this setup but what I read on proforms website said they wouldn't work with the gm coils and that doesn't appear to be the case so just curious what you ended up going with!

[/QUOTE]
Old 10-21-2015, 12:02 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Black00SS/65SS
BUT the D581s will fit, and I understand they are just as good.
As I understand it and from testing done at Mega Squirt, the 585 coil is more powerful than the others.

I took the stock D585 brackets and moved it downwards, towards the spark plugs to clear the fuel rail & injectors. Mounted on some nice smoothie covers:

Last edited by Paul Bell; 07-17-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Would these work?
Amazon.com: 5.3L LS LSX Billet Truck Side Bolt Coil Brackets Non LS1 531: Automotive Amazon.com: 5.3L LS LSX Billet Truck Side Bolt Coil Brackets Non LS1 531: Automotive
Old 10-26-2015, 10:33 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

The photo in the page would indicate yes.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not one for fabrication. Rather than trying to come up with some hokey way to mount the oem brackets, or trying to relocate everything. I think I'll spend the 40 bucks and buy the billit brackets. Clean up the engine in the process.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
As I understand it and from testing done at Mega Squirt, the 585 coil is more powerful than the others.

I took the stock D585 brackets and moved it downwards, towards the spark plugs to clear the fuel rail & injectors. Mounted on some nice smoothie covers:
The video of the coil test from MS including the 585 that's been doing the rounds is many years old now, so dont really think it's valid.

I tested current draw of the 3 types of coil I had to hand, and the 585 was no different than the regular round 514 ( And I just bought them cheap off ebay ). I'd no way of measuring actual output, but they both drew the same current when dwelled for same periods, so can't imagine output being much different

The older square LS1 coils only pulled half the current, although people have pushed them well into 4 figures power wise.

IMO any modern coil will perform very very well, I cant see any need to hunt down the 585's
Old 11-02-2015, 09:30 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The video of the coil test from MS including the 585 that's been doing the rounds is many years old now, so dont really think it's valid.
I don't think the passage of time makes these coils less relevant.

It's their ability to handle more dwell as dictated by the PCM's tuning where I think they excel.

The testing done over at Megasquirt showed the 585 coils had 120 milliamps of output, three times that of the LS1 coils.

My engine became more responsive with the truck coils. Any possible power gains that there may or may not be, a more responsive engine was worth the coil upgrade (with a PCM tune for them) to me.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:32 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Has anybody played around with AEM high output smart coils? Looks like Holley re-labels them.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:16 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I don't think the passage of time makes these coils less relevant.

It's their ability to handle more dwell as dictated by the PCM's tuning where I think they excel.

The testing done over at Megasquirt showed the 585 coils had 120 milliamps of output, three times that of the LS1 coils.

My engine became more responsive with the truck coils. Any possible power gains that there may or may not be, a more responsive engine was worth the coil upgrade (with a PCM tune for them) to me.
The 585's cannot handle more dwell, that is well known. They are the problematic coils that fire prematurely when you dwell them much over 4500us. That alone is reason enough to stay away from them.

And as said, the old square LS1 coils are very very old now....there must be at least 6-7 more modern alternatives which are far more powerful.

And the new fad that all the big name brands are re-selling is just the Pantera IGN-1A coil. According to all sources, this is about as powerful as you'll get....but then, stock coils have been used to beyond 2000hp too.

Pantera/Firecore have a new high power 585 replacement based around the IGN-1A, although it isnt quite as powerful as the IGN-1A itself....but it's direct replacement for a 585 in terms of fitment
Old 11-03-2015, 07:23 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Stevie, thanks for all the info.

My basically stock LS1 engine responded well when I upgraded to the D585 coils with a tune for them. I still think they're a decent bolt-on upgrade.

These Pantera coils look interesting. They're well spoken of in several forums. Are they a direct plug & play replacement for a LS2 style coil? Are there full specifications available for them? Does somebody make a valve cover bracket so they can be mounted as stock coils are?
Old 02-27-2016, 06:40 PM

Default D585 Upgrade on C5z

Just finished the upgrade and did some very simple mods to get the brackets lower than if just bolted in. Only had to swivel the coil #3 on the passenger side so it will clear the fuel line. Put my covers back on and you would never know.

Now for the results: I went in NOT looking for a HP increase. I have a larger cam than stock and wanted to tame my idle a bit and look for throttle response and smooth RPM's. After a few minutes of start the car, the idle was NOTICABLY smoother and engine is running smoother. WOT seems stonger, but will wait until the dyno to check this.

This was well worth the upgrade.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by kerdmantheone
....idle was NOTICABLY smoother and engine is running smoother. WOT seems stonger, but will wait until the dyno to check this. This was well worth the upgrade.
Welcome to LS1tech!

Yes, this seems to be a common improvement these coils produce.

What car is this for?
Old 02-27-2016, 06:54 PM

Paul

This was for a 2003 Z06 Corvette with the LS6. Installed Headers, Cold Air Intake, Custom Cam and tune. Not sure how the upgrade would of gone stock, but definitely work with my combo
Old 02-28-2016, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default The IGN-1A Coils for LS-X

Hi Paul, the answer is YES.
I do, Sake Bomb, Redline Weber, DIY, and many others provide our IGN-1A coils with brackets and sub-harness to fit the LS-x engine family.

The best news is the our IGN-1A coils, sold by Holley, ARE required by NHRA to be fitted to ALL Pro-Stock cars when competing at a NHRA race.

Lance
The following users liked this post:
SweetJohnny (07-24-2023)
Old 02-28-2016, 09:11 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi Paul, the answer is YES.
I do, Sake Bomb, Redline Weber, DIY, and many others provide our IGN-1A coils with brackets and sub-harness to fit the LS-x engine family.

The best news is the our IGN-1A coils, sold by Holley, ARE required by NHRA to be fitted to ALL Pro-Stock cars when competing at a NHRA race.

Lance
Thanks for stepping in here!

Are there available and comparative specifications between these coils and the various stock GM coils available? Max output voltage, miliamps, etc.
The following users liked this post:
SweetJohnny (07-24-2023)
Old 03-01-2016, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

seems we have another player in the LS coil game ! but has anyone mounted it in the stock location with the stock wiring harness yet ?

speaking of which.....has anybody used the firecore coil or the performance distributors truck coil ( no longer listed on their website BTW ) ....both claim increased output over the stock GM coil
Old 03-01-2016, 05:15 AM
9 Second Club

AFAIK Firecore resells the Pantera stuff.....in fact pretty much everyone is re-selling their IGN-1A coils now too.

Although it's Firecore offering the 585 direct replacement.

Granatelli were talking about some direct fit coils they sell in another thread, and claiming proven power improvements etc. I asked them to provide graphs showing these gains over stock coils on an LS but to no avail.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default IGN-1A Coil Mount and Output

Hi "SJ" our IGN-1A coil brackets place the IGN-1A coil in the stock location though the Plug Wires, in the kit, have different coil ends as that coil has a HT post not the original A-Bit post.
The Wiring "sub-harnesss" is also included to interface to the stock GM Loom.
We make our version of the GM coils, (585, .etc.) for FireCore with 10% greater output though those coils are a ten AMP coil.
The kit includes FireCore wires and I use the 250 OHM wire as it allows the spark to last longer.
The plug "gap" should be .065" as this coil, IGN-1A, has a much high voltage output.

Hi Paul, Jala,(Jari Lane) has also tested the coils you ask about.
His results, an independent tester, state most GM ten AMP LS coils are 80-105 mj@40KV
His same testing of the IGN-1A coil states 280 mj@ 8.5 m-seconds dwell with 80+Kv and a 25 AMP charge current capacity based on dwell truncation.

Spark Duration is LONG with IGN-1A coils AND this allows for a lower Spark Advance setting.

Lance
Old 03-02-2016, 06:17 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Thank you Pantera EFI for sharing that info.

I see in your catalog valve cover brackets for these coils. Why is left & right different?

Where are these items available for purchase? I understand the coils can be had under several band names such as Holley through dealers like Summit but who carries the brackets?

Many people here, including myself, use Granatelli zero Ohm wires. Can they be used with these coils?

Quick Reply: The truck ignition coil upgrade