Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK SSI intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoky02
Aren't all the carburated intakes aluminum? Is heat soak one of the problems with that setup?
who uses a carburated car as a daily driver any more
Old 03-12-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres my thread about the BBK, i love the way it looks

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...bk-intake.html
Old 03-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02*C5
who uses a carburated car as a daily driver any more
good bit of people use carb style intakes with fuel injectors and a TB

And im sure a fair amount of ls swap people use a carb
Old 03-12-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Here we go with this NOOB *** "heak soak" bullshit.

Like ive said before and probably have to say again, next time you drive your car for a while AFTER it gets to operating temperature, pop the hood and see how long you can hold your hand on your plastic intake.

Dont bother PM'ing me the results as ive already tried it.
Your right but most plastics will give you an very slight edge in heat exchange and while we might not see the difference after a whole day of driving in 100 degree weather this will make a difference in the track, when every one is trying to extract .10th of a seconds. Now we can sit here and argue semantics back and for but like i said, if FAST the best intake out there saw no difference in performance between metal and composite (plastic) then all their intakes would have been made out of aluminum not composite.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02*C5
Your right but most plastics will give you an very slight edge in heat exchange and while we might not see the difference after a whole day of driving in 100 degree weather this will make a difference in the track, when every one is trying to extract .10th of a seconds. Now we can sit here and argue semantics back and for but like i said, if FAST the best intake out there saw no difference in performance between metal and composite (plastic) then all their intakes would have been made out of aluminum not composite.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the BBK is better than the FAST, or that aluminum is better than plastic for an intake. What is being argued here is that the aluminum is not as bad as people make it out to be. Im sure 99percent of the reason the fast intake is composite is because of the weight.

Hell, one could argue that the bbk and aluminum are better, because they are more boost and nitrous friendly.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VeTTeMaNC486
good bit of people use carb style intakes with fuel injectors and a TB

And im sure a fair amount of ls swap people use a carb
I guess I missed the boat because out of all the guys that I know only 1 uses a carb and he does not use his car as a daily driver, as a matter fact he uses it for the week end round ups and track days only. He has an SS he uses as a daily driver go figure.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

my race cars have aluminum intakes and my street cars do they ant nothing wrong with it if you can get a bbk cheap than go for it its your car and your money get what you like
Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This heat soak argument is such a bunch of BS. Does anyone actually have numbers to back this **** up? Because I don't believe it for a minute.

The temperature gradient between the intake and the ambient air isn't enough to heat up jack $hit with an engine constantly refreshing the plenum/runners as fast as it does.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

I had the BBK intake and I liked it. I only got rid of it because a guy wanted to switch his LS6 intake for mine cuz he was adding a blower. I thought it was a descent trade. But yeah they do heat up, but i dont think it affected it that much. I say get it unless some one sells you an LS6 one.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

What I've read about them they don't make much, if any, more power than the LS6. But they look nice polished. More of an appearance mod than anything. I don't buy into the heat soak issue that much either. Its true in theory, but doubt you would see much difference at the track as a result of plastic vs aluminum.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

My car had a BBK intake on it when I bought it. Along with TSP heads, cam and long tube hearders its making 431rwhp. I've heard both good and bad comments about it.

One thing I just experienced and wanted to give you a heads up on though ...

Theres a metal plate attached to the underside of the manifold by 14 small allen head screws. I just found out tonight that 4 had worked out and were sitting on the valley pan, all but 2 of them were really loose. I would suggest some kind of sealer on those screws before you put the intake on. Trust me ... if enough of them come loose it will make a noise that will have you thinking your engine is eating itself alive. Sort of like a cross between a squeal and a lifter tick. Here is the piece I am talking about.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Teching In

LMAO at this heat soak bs

FAST intakes are pretty much the only composite performance intake that I can think of off the top of my head.

Not saying there is anything wrong with that, they make a great intake.

But take a look around at the race track and see what 99% of people are running. It may make some sort of MINIMAL difference in IAT's, but it is hardly something I would worry about on a 10-12 second car.

If I were to buy a FAST it would be because of it's great airflow characteristics, not because of the material it's made out of. In fact, I would rather have a FAST made out of aluminum. That way I wouldn't have to worry about ruining it because of a small nitrous backfire.

Last edited by DNKFXSTANG; 03-12-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Did you put some lock tight or something on the when you put them back in blazer?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, I used blue Loctite.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Good deal, thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

No problem at all, glad to help.

Good Luck with your build !
Old 02-11-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VeTTeMaNC486
People act like plastic cannot get hot too, like physics does not apply to plastic.

It is funny everyone always hates on the BBK because of "heat soak" and it being "heavy", but no one ever rags on the METAL single plane style intakes with METAL elbows.

This being said, if I were to go from an ls1 intake and didnt have much money, id def. do a BBK intake. If I already had an ls6 intake Id just stay with it as I would not feel it would be worth the time/money to swap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dyno-Proven-GM-L...item27b60fea66

this book shows on a heat soaked motor the bbk ssi beats the fast 78... the bbk did 7 more hp and 4 ft tq more than the fast... half the price too...
Old 03-03-2011, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

Default BBK SSI vs Edelbrock pro Flo XT for street/strip?

Great info on BBK SSI guys.

I would love to see a dyno comparison of the edelbrock pro flo XT vs either a BBK SSI or a LS6 on the same motor. Best would be a cam only LS motor.

I am guessing the BBK SSI has longer intake runners so it will have quite a bit more low and mid range torque and the Edelbrock Pro Flo will suffer at low and midrange RPM's yet take over at higher RPM above 6000.

I am probably going to buy the BBK SSI for my LQ4 with turbo cam, stock 317 heads and S475 75 MM turbo going into my 74 camaro with turbo 400. I am looking for 1000 to 1200 fly wheel hp eventually after I put forged pistons and rods in my short block and crank up the boost to 20 lbs or so.

Anybody seen or have a dyno test sheet of the Edelbrock pro flo vs the LS6 or even the new Holley Sheet metal style intake vs a LS6??? The holley is the same production sheet metal type design style as the edelbrock pro flo XT so the power band characterstics will be very similar.

I dont want to rev my boosted motor much above 6500 so the BBK SSI looks like it will be strongest thru my powerband boosted on the street and at the track.

Hpbob1
Old 12-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Reviving this one.

The test engine was equipped with a Comp XR275HR cam, Accufab 80mm TB, LT Hooker Headers w/ collectors and no mufflers....

Name:  LS1vsLS6.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  LS1vsBBKSSI.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  112.5 KB

Pulled these from this thread.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347366
Old 12-02-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok guys...let me explain something that might help with this "heat soak" idea.

If you have a room that stays at a static temp, oh let's say 72 deg and you place several items in this room, block of wood, block of alumn, block of ABS plastic, block of copper, block of glass etc...whatever you want. There are a few numbers you can measure on each item.
Each of these items have a type of "insulation" property and a "conducting" property along with others, but we will talk about these 2. Materials that have a better conductivity will absorb energy at a faster rate. Energy=heat in this instance.
Lets say you take each of these items out of a 50deg room and place them into this room at 72deg at the same time and same fashion.... you will have a rise in temp in each item at different rates!! Whichever item has a better conductivity will inherit the ambient temp at a faster rate and the item that has the better insulation property will inherit the ambient temp at a slower rate. I.E I dont know the properties exactly but the list would probably go as follows from fastest to slowest.... copper, alumn, glass, plastic , wood etc...
EXPERIMENT: walk into this room and put your hand on each item...each item will feel a different temp because each item absorbs the heat out of your hand at a different rate even though they are all the same temp! You are in fact felling cold because now you are having a lack of heat in that part of your hand.

Now you know the rate at which these items "heat soak" or better put, absorb heat. Now once all of these items reach the ambient temp in the room at 72 deg and the room stays constant then they all will remain at that temp.

Now lets take this old saying about heat soak and look at it. If you have a drag car lets say N/A and you want to squeeze every once of power so you can beat your opponent then thats why you see guys icing down their intakes before the run including letting the car cool all the way down before a run. Now think back about the conductivity of alumn compared to plastic. The plastic in this case would be beneficial so it wont absorb a ton of heat very fast before you even run it down the track. Now all in all what intake makes the most power when everything is at a constant temp including the motor then that is about intake design etc... FAST is known for its great designs including BBK.

If its a street car and they both are within a HP gain you like when they are tested with consistency then buy the cheaper one or prettier one or whatever you find first. It dont matter unless you have a car you like to push to the burnout box! lol
Hope this helps...sorry it was long

Quick Reply: BBK SSI intake