Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got my hooker headers in today.....did i get ripped?? pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree thats how my hookers looked on my lt1 car they worked great.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Launching!

^^^ He knows what he's talking about. I thought they would leak myself, but after some research and shopping around for new headers myself some do come that way. I say put them on and if they leak send them back. The bung thing is kinda strange though. Every set of headers I've ever owned the bung was on the inside.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Launching!

well it seems like there are mixed feelings on how the flanges look and if they will seal properly or not... and i appreciate all the info.
can somebody comment on the o2 bung being on the outter part of the collector.... every pic i've ever seen on here of a header install the o2 sensors connect to the inner part of the collectors... on these, the bung on the drivers side is on the inner part but the bung on the passenger side is on the outter part of the collector.... you guys with hookers, are yours like that??
Old 04-04-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I can see there is only a couple of intelligent people in this thread. Do some research on what a milling machine is and what it does. All headers I have seen are welded from the inside of the primary. They chose to overweld them, then mill the welds flat to give you a true seal. As you can see its a full thickness weld around each primary, and even after they milled it flat, the weld is still wide enough to seal. Just bc its manufactured differently then another set of headers doesnt mean its a defect. Those headers WILL seal. End of thread. To the naysayers, they obviously dont know **** about ****.
^^^^ He is right, most headers are manufactured this way, and will actually seal better than a header with a completely flat flange. This design will compress the raised area around the ports against the gasket. With a flat flange it will compress more at the bolts then around the ports.

Maybe some people should learn a little more about cars before saying something looks like ****, and they should send it back. When I build headers at work the flanges look just like that. I fully tig weld the headers together, run a large bead on the inside of the flange, then mill everything flat. That will also take out any warping that could have happened while welding.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99345hp
^^^^ He is right, most headers are manufactured this way, and will actually seal better than a header with a completely flat flange. This design will compress the raised area around the ports against the gasket. With a flat flange it will compress more at the bolts then around the ports.

Maybe some people should learn a little more about cars before saying something looks like ****, and they should send it back. When I build headers at work the flanges look just like that. I fully tig weld the headers together, run a large bead on the inside of the flange, then mill everything flat. That will also take out any warping that could have happened while welding.
that's exactly what the mechanic told me that i talked to.... a few ppl said i was dumb for listening to him but he's an excellent mechanic and has a ton of experience......... any input on the location of the passenger side o2 bung?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

I have had 4 sets of headers, and all of which had the o2's on the inside of the headers. IMO, Either Hooker makes them that way (b/c I have never had hooker Headers) or that was just a mistake. I'd call Hooker and ask.

As for the Primaries at the Flanges, All 3 of my Pacesetter headers were that way, and even the set I have now are that way. As long as the headers are "true" all the way across, They'll seal just fine! You can check them with a runout gauge or a Flat piece of steel. Like a Ruler or Yard stick. Just use the edge of it and make sure it's straight and has less than .010" (I think it is) of warpage... Either way, as long as the gasket can seal against the header and head and compress a little, you'll be fine!

Good Luck!! And I would not have a problem running them on my car as long as they were true all the way across!

Just my .02!

James
Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

the bung is like that on my hookers to, they are made this way... why, i dont know, but it doesnt hurt it either way, just slap them on
Old 04-04-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nothing wrong with those headers. my hooker lt's looked just like that. use new gm gaskets and you won't have any problems with any exhaust leaks.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also, there's no problem with the o2 bungs welded on the outside of the collector, they should have supplied you with o2 extensions.

don't listen to everything you read on here, you're mechanic is right, install them already
Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look fine to me, thats how the hookers were for my 68 Firebird. The flanges dont have to be flat, the tubes extend past the flanges so that when you tighten the bolts it puts more pressure against the gasket sealing area. If it were completely flat it would spread the torque out and would have less pressure on the gasket. If they are installed correctly and torqued evenly as headers should be, they will not leak.

EDIT: Pretty much what 99345hp said
Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Launching!

well i called the ws6store today and they said they were shipped directly from hooker and that they have never had any issues with them... but they would be more than happy to replace them if i wasnt happy... they have excellent customer service..
but after some of the past few responses i think i am going to go ahead and have them put on.... just need to know if i should use the stock gaskets or buy new gm gaskets... and if i get new gm gaskets where can i pick some of those up at?

also, the guy at ws6store said if i did decide to send them back i could order another set of hookers or i could get the jet-hot headers... what should i do?

Last edited by brandon_01_ta; 04-05-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM MLS gaskets from your local dealership will be $20 or so... My ARH loooked like this....
Attached Thumbnails got my hooker headers in today.....did i get ripped?? pics*-dscn0465.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use factory gaskets.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

again too my hookers looked the same way,and they have never leaked with gm gaskets,go with them i say man they are good headers.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99345hp

Maybe some people should learn a little more about cars before saying something looks like ****, and they should send it back. .
Amen.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

they're fine. where does exhaust come out people? where is there pressure?

oh. thats right. AT THE PRIMARY. it'll seal up nice and tight there, nothing else matters.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Mine looked worse than that, the jet hot coating even coagulated on the bolt holes (manifold side) and they sealed up just fine with the gaskets that were included (actually Hooker forgot to put the gaskets and 02 extensions in the box but they did send them to me no problems). I'm happy as can be with my Hooker 2468-2HKR Longtubes and custom 3" exhaust. See my Garage for a pic of the exhaust system.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Dude, those are the weirdest headers I've ever seen. Looks like they were made in Mexico or something kinda like knock offs, instead of Hooker headers they are "Booker headers".
Where do ya think hooker headers are made now. In mexico
Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i bought some new hooker 1 7/8" the flangles did NOT look like that at all id return those in a new york minute
Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can buy some new exhaust gaskets at thunderracing.com...some people re-use their old gaskets but it's up to you. i'd use new ones personally.

Quick Reply: got my hooker headers in today.....did i get ripped?? pics*