Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird situation

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for chiming in Salemetro.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:22 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

It's not fuel no need to check further the gas squirter trick verified that. Problem is electrical
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by salemetro
With a name like Waitforme Performance, I think it's safe to say it's the PCM LOL

Sorry...not trying to be an *******....I just could not resist. Seriously though....sorry to hear about your problems. From everything else you've described, I honestly think that the PCM is highly suspect.

One other thing....vaccum leaks?? I've seen them do some strange things. Just a thought.
vaccum gauge is reading almost -20ish. almost perfect and a vaccum leak would probably cause a high idle.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Just read the frustration thread here spike...sucks to hear about the problems! But I can definitely relate. When I received pcm/wiring harness for my transplant (later on I discovered this after A LOT of pulling my hair out)-the pcm that they had sold to me was programmed terribly! I took to a tuner near me and he discovered that the original programmers did a lot of unneccesary timing thus causing my engine to really bog at the beginning of wot AND causing it to run lean.
I agree with Cam-pcm is seeming suspect. All other operations seem to be running on par from what I can see on the vid or read from your posts.
I will ask some gear heads around here who are neck deep in vette hybrids, if they've ever run into this kind of problem.
Just a side thought-maybe your maf sensor is faulty??
Hang in there bud, you'll get it!

Very very nice ride btw
Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Teching In

K-I've done some research today and I've come up with some options for you to check
Before we jump to the pcm being the problem...
I've checked your two codes to see what they mean and here's what I've come up with;
The codes that you have retrieved are ONLY for a 3.8L ecm out of an 02 transam. They don't show up for any ecm's out of a 5.7L transam/camaro. Are you sure the ecm that was given to you/prorammed was out of a 5.7L vehicle? (I know you said it is a stock tune as well)
Besides that..
DTC-P1514 : Actual MAF & Speed Density is Greater than Expected

DTC-P1518 : Loss of Communication Between PCM & Throttle Actuator Control

Now here's the consensus of the gear heads that I've asked about these codes. Your TPS is probably not gettin the 5 volt reference or ground to it. It seems that its not seeing your throttle move so its unable to reference the computer values so that it can increase the injector pulse.
Take a regular Multimeter and read the ohms at the sensor itself. One wire- 5 volts, one sensor and one ground. Check the the sensor to ground with the key off and you should get some resistance with that. It will sweep with the throttle opening.
Next, check the power to ground with the key on to check for voltage.
Check with your pcm tuner to see what pcm he used for you..start with that then move on to checking the TPS.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Thanks a lot for your help Jz.

Cam and I are almost sure the pcm is to blame for this strange behavior. I believe its either poorly tuned or a defective unit. Im waiting reply from Jesse @ waitforme about the problem. Hes in Longon, England at the moment tuning a car. Im gonna try a 243 from a truck this week-end tho. It has the blue/green connectors but its supposed to work at least.. thats what I red here. I have a 12200411 pcm that I asked to be programmed for a stock 02 Camaro T56. Of course I had a couple of DTCs deprogrammed from the computer, like the rear o2s, EGR. Now if p1514 and p1518 are V6s only codes, it looks even more suspicious. I know late V6 cars had DBW.

One thing that I feel is strange is; if the engine runs, and I unplug the TPS, nothing happens, no codes, no change in the engine behavior. Just like you said, the pcm is not seeing its signal.

Ill jump in the garage in a couple of mins to re-test the TPS.

Thanks a lot fellow canadians to help me out with this. Ive been depressed this week just thinking about this. lol
Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Your TPS is probably not gettin the 5 volt reference or ground to it. It seems that its not seeing your throttle move so its unable to reference the computer values so that it can increase the injector pulse.
Partially true but the engine will still reference RPM and mainly run off the crank trigger pulse count. The TPS sensor will only affect the PE tables which tie into your comments about injector pulse. If you un-hook or have a malfunctioning TPS it will still run and run quite well actually it will just go lean as crisco when you hammer on it as PE will not enable.

Ive been depressed this week just thinking about this. lol
Ahh dont sweat it man just keep focused on it and stay methodical and you'll get there. If these builds were easy everyone would do it and very few do and actually pull it off. Your at the goal line so these little set backs get extremely frustrating at this stage. In the end it adds provenance to your build and these are the stories you'll tell ten years on

Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cam
In the end it adds provenance to your build and these are the stories you'll tell ten years on

Thanks man, youre so very right about that. I dont know if its the "pressure" from my friends and family that saw me working on this thing for the last 5 years... "So? You found it yet?" "Any ideas what it could be?" "Daddy lets go for a ride" Gahhh. heh

I just finished testing the TPS. Everything is there. 5V ref, ground and sensor signal. As I open or close the throttle, the signal goes from .49V to 4.83V and the wire is uncut from the TPS to the PCM with 0.02ohm.

Now, everything points at the pcm. I wish I could find a 12200411 local to try. Ill try a 243 this week-end and see how it goes from there.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Haha yeah wait until you get it running what they'll all say. "I never thought you were going to finish blah blah " "We had bets that you would sell it off blah blah" I heard a ton of stuff afterwards that was more hilarious than before.

As a small note. After going through all my gremlins at start up stage I decided that a tuning suite like HP or efilive etc. is not a nicety but a necessity. You can do so much and verify any electrical circuits with its scan tool. Plus you will always want to tweak the tune a little as you drive it you'll notice some room for improvement here and there and without the tools your stuck.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Launching!

True. Which one did you end up buying? The pro one or the standard?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Hptuners Pro. I really REALLY wanted efi-live but my new set up is an e38 PCM and the odd thing is the VATS patch through efi-live does not work so you cannot disable VATS with efi-live and my e38 PCM. Although efi-live has a full update with VVT tuning tables so i really wanted to buy it for this reason but the HPtuners beta has the VVT tables and a successful VATS patch and from all the feedback i received the beta is stable and working fine so in the end this is what swayed me. Too bad though as all the tuning support out there for VVT is with efi-live so once again Im stuck out in the cold on my own trying to figure this stuff out before anyone else LOL Im a glutton for punishment and frustration... I'll be sure to post up about it all once I dial it in though.

In your case though there really is no clear cut advantage to either HP or EFI-live they both do the job and do it well. Im not certain about how the cost all works though they have this stuff priced more confusingly than cel phone companies do.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Launching!

lol. Amen that about the price.

I guess Ill do my homeworks before pulling the trigger. Its a lot of money.
In the meawhile, Ill make a few phone calls tomorrow and try to find a tuner that is local to me.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Hmmm... coincidence?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...s-own-way.html
Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

I saw that thread yesterday and wondered the exact same thing... Once who knows? But twice? Starting to smell bad....
Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 0411 PCM, just reflash it with whatever OS you're using

Dont know enough about that guys problem to even begin to deduce a solution

Runs like crap all around isnt very specific
Old 04-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Launching!

He updated his thread, hes describing exactly what my engine is doing.

Pocket, would you lend/sell me that computer? What about reflashing it, where can I have this done?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Dude, read my last, it is just like your issue. Wait4me is out of country? weird! They will get an earful Monday I bet.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...own-way-2.html
Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Ok so my new injectors showed up. I just installed them and still have the same problem. If I unplug either the injectors or the coils on cylinder #2,3,5,8 the engine doesnt "care" at all. SES dont come up. Im gonna have a GM tech check it this week-end.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:42 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

You gotta try another PCM. Ebay?? five7kid bought some stuff off an ebay member who sells PCM'S for cheap. Cant hurt
Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cam
You gotta try another PCM. Ebay?? five7kid bought some stuff off an ebay member who sells PCM'S for cheap. Cant hurt
Probably what Ill do. Ill just have the car scanned first. I just swapped coils and the trouble moves on the new coil, I guess bad coils can be ruled out.

Quick Reply: Weird situation