Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust... several questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the tsp y- pipe with moroso spiral flows and pacesetter lt's. Love it. The spiral flowas are a little quiter than the bullets in my opinion.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
I'm going to resurrect this one...

I've been spending countless hours searching around on the web for videos of true duals, catback systems, CATless systems, mufflers and just about every sound clip known to man. I think I may be changing pace here...

I heard a video of a camaro that had no mods except kooks headers, kooks CAT'd Y-pipe and a Corsa Catback exhaust... boy did that thing sound furious!

Can anyone with ACTUAL experience tell me what kind of noise difference INSIDE the car I'm going to get idling, cruising and WOT with and without CATs on the car? Or better yet, because reading words describing it can be worthless, albeit somewhat helpful, send me a video or point me in the direction of one.

I'm getting really torn between the millions of exhaust combinations out there now. I think I'm going crazy!
When I decided wanted to add LTs and an Aftermarket Y-pipe, I started doing the same thing. Researching videos, sound clips, and reading every opinion posted.

I had added SLP's Loudmouth Catback to the car the summer after I bought it (2004) and liked it alot. It sounded great and my plan was to simply keep it in place and add the LTs/Y-pipe to it.

Well, throughout all my research I keep coming across the same opinion. And that opinion was, LTs with a Y-pipe and LM1 was a receipe for a terrible sounding car.

"Obnoxious." "Unbearable." "Raspy." "Sounds like a 'Farm Truck'." (Ha! That one always makes me laugh.) And a thousand other comments.

"Well, ****!", I thought. What am I gonna do now? I didn't want to do something to my car that would make it "unbearable" to drive. But on the other hand, I didn't want to ditch a perfectly good and very well flowing catback. And, not to mention, spend another $500 for a new catback system, on top of the cost of the headers and Y.

What I decided was that I'd get my LTs/Y-pipe, install them on the car, and see how "terrible" this catback really is, before I go changing my entire setup. I did take some of the advice I'd read. I went with a Catted Y-pipe, in hopes it would eliminate the "rasp" this setup is known to cause.

So I finish with my install and fire up the car and... WOW! My car was definitely louder. But you know what, it sounded good. I liked it. And I still like it. And contrary to the popular opinion, I think LTs, Catted Y-pipe & LM1 sound pretty ******' good.

So what I'm trying to get at is...

Exhaust note is a matter of opinion. What sounds good to one person, may be a train wreck to another and vice versa. Please keep that in mind while doing your research.

You can do all the research in the world, and it can give you an idea of what you may want, but until you make a choice and actually hear the end results you'll never know for sure.

My advice is to pick two or three setups that you think you'll like, debate the pros and cons of each and then take your best guess and see what happens.

But then again, this is just my opinion and what truely matters is yours.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Well said
Old 05-11-2010, 06:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well said and a wealth of knowledge old friend!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Well said
Originally Posted by JET-HOT
Very well said and a wealth of knowledge old friend!

LOL. Thanks... to both of you.

Quick Reply: Exhaust... several questions.