Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust... several questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
For a car that has no modifications at this point, other than a lid, what are your feelings on going Kooks LTs, no CATS and True duals over the axel and out the stock locations? At this point I think my decision is all about the mufflers... which opens up a whole new can of worms
I'd say it would be a great start. I used the magnaflow #14419 bullets when I had my TD's. They were nice and absolutely no rasp with them and they tuck up nice under the car, but you might can fit them in the rear just before the bumper cover to give you more clearance under the car.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue98Z
I'd say it would be a great start. I used the magnaflow #14419 bullets when I had my TD's. They were nice and absolutely no rasp with them and they tuck up nice under the car, but you might can fit them in the rear just before the bumper cover to give you more clearance under the car.
Is there a difference in sound depending on where the mufflers are placed?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JET-HOT

Your in luck if you would like the Race Jet-Hot Brand LT1 Headers... I have a sale going on them now for $325 coated in the Extreme Sterling Plus your shipping!!!

Sorry for the
Wow. Thats amazing. You guys at Jet Hot, STILL don't know what motor was in what years of the F-body. 1993-1997 has the LT1 motor, while 1998-2002 was equipped with an LS1.

My 1999 Firebird Formula with the LS1 won't be needing any more LT1 parts. Long story-short, no thanks.

There is a long story behind this, that I'd rather not go into in this thread.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mumbles ------ Your response should be sticky-d because of your indepth response and answers to just about every question regarding exhausts. Thank you for taking the time to respond with such detail.
Thanks, man. I hope it helped.

Like I said, good luck with piecing your exhaust together.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Is there a difference in sound depending on where the mufflers are placed?
I doubt it.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How about the the stainless steel wool? Does it really kill rasp better than anything else?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Interesting comparo I did. True duals vs. single 4 inch:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...pics-vids.html
Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Wow. Thats amazing. You guys at Jet Hot, STILL don't know what motor was in what years of the F-body. 1993-1997 has the LT1 motor, while 1998-2002 was equipped with an LS1.

My 1999 Firebird Formula with the LS1 won't be needing any more LT1 parts. Long story-short, no thanks.

There is a long story behind this, that I'd rather not go into in this thread.

OOohhh Your Majesty... Ooh Darn those typos, Mumbles I mean to say! So sorry for the typo on LS and LT... Although I would love to see your LONG story and this schooling that you think you can pass along! Oh and thank you SO much for the years in your post... I always got lost as I open my garage with new parts in hand not knowing what was in my 97 SS vs. the 98 Hurst FB!!! At least I know my GTO has the LS2… Got something right today…. Yipppeeeee
Old 04-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Teching In

I know... I a million threads on this already, but I want MY questions answered here and now... in one place.

I've had a P2040 (or whatever it is for bank 1 below threshold) SES code for several months now and I know it's the CATS, so instead of spending $1,000 to replace the stock CATs with new OEM CATs, I decided to just utilize the opportunity to upgrade

I've decided without a doubt, I'm going with Kooks headers. Don't try and change my mind because of the price... I'm getting them. Period.

My questions are, what to do after the headers... Do I get a off-road y-pipe (ORY) and no CATs? Do I go CAT'd y-pipe? Do I do a 3" CAT back? Do I go 2.5" true duals? I'm looking to spend money, but to spend the RIGHT money is key.... I just don't know witht he gazillion options out there. There are so many freakin' threads on this topic it'll make your head spin with pros and cons and "this is better than this" etc., etc.

Just want some opinions from some serious exhaust experiences. Don't give me your "SLP didn't fit for ****" or "Ebay headers rock" because I don't want to hear it... Thank you ahead of time and I look forward to this thread getting loooong

Adam
lol Im in the same boat with you.. Ive had that same code for a couple months now as well and im sure its the cats. Still trying to decide what to do, but I got headers already and I think im just gonna go with catted y.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JET-HOT
OOohhh Your Majesty... Ooh Darn those typos, Mumbles I mean to say! So sorry for the typo on LS and LT... Although I would love to see your LONG story and this schooling that you think you can pass along! Oh and thank you SO much for the years in your post... I always got lost as I open my garage with new parts in hand not knowing what was in my 97 SS vs. the 98 Hurst FB!!! At least I know my GTO has the LS2… Got something right today…. Yipppeeeee
PM sent.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mumbles
PM sent.
Thank you sir!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The other thing to consider is, should I let the shop I'll have doing the install order the parts or should I order them and just hand parts to them... I guess it depends on how warranties (if any) work for the particular shop (???)
Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

I ordered my parts and handed them to the installer.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FST SS
I ordered my parts and handed them to the installer.
Make any difference either way? I guess not. I will obviously know if they mark them up or not. I guess I might as well just buy everything and hand it over...
Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mumbles - Might you have any deep insights on the different bullet mufflers that can be incorporated into a TD system? You provided such in depth insights before....
Old 04-16-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mumbles - Might you have any deep insights on the different bullet mufflers that can be incorporated into a TD system? You provided such in depth insights before....
I'm sorry, I wish I could be of some help, but the only bullet muffler I'm familiar with is one from my Loudmouth System. I've never been a part of a True Dual installation on a 4th Gen F-body, so I'm not even sure which direction to point you in.

I know computer speakers don't really give the most accurate representation of what an exhaust sounds like, but my only advice is to check out this site and YouTube for other's setups to see what appeals to you.

Like I said before, good luck and be sure to post up when you decide what you plan to use. I'd love to hear when you get it completed, too.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've done ALOT of research on this, and for me, I'm going with the Ebay headers and the Ebay dumped TD setup. For the price, I couldn't turn it down. The TD's cost only slightly more than a y-pipe for my headers to the Borla I had, so I said, why not. I know that doesn't help you any, but thats what I went with for now. Long term (not exactly long, year tops), I'm gonna go with the ARH 2" race headers with 4" collectors, with dual electric cutouts right after the headers, and no cats going into either a custom TD over the axle or most likely the Bassani TD setup. The Bassani TD setup is the only over the axle TD system for these cars, so if thats what you want, thats your only option aside from a custom setup, which with stainless with be VERY expensive. Then you have to find a shop with a mandrel bender, which I don't even have locally, so thats your next problem.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bottom line is, I always get anxious and stall when I'm about to shell out a couple grand for something!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to resurrect this one...

I've been spending countless hours searching around on the web for videos of true duals, catback systems, CATless systems, mufflers and just about every sound clip known to man. I think I may be changing pace here...

I heard a video of a camaro that had no mods except kooks headers, kooks CAT'd Y-pipe and a Corsa Catback exhaust... boy did that thing sound furious!

Can anyone with ACTUAL experience tell me what kind of noise difference INSIDE the car I'm going to get idling, cruising and WOT with and without CATs on the car? Or better yet, because reading words describing it can be worthless, albeit somewhat helpful, send me a video or point me in the direction of one.

I'm getting really torn between the millions of exhaust combinations out there now. I think I'm going crazy!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone???

Quick Reply: Exhaust... several questions.