Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Both SLP catbacks

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Both SLP catbacks

Here are photos of two SLP cat backs. I believe one is considered the Dual Dual and the other is the Powerflo.

The first muffler was removed from a stock 2000 firehawk.

The second muffler was purchased from a third party and the initial application is unknown. I believe it could be an original CME muffler, just judging where the cuts where made on the tail pipes to remove the previous exhaust tips.

I have done some searching and have become more confused. It was stated that the muffler that came on firehawks was the SLP dual dual muffler.

The SLP dual dual only came on cars and could not be purchased. The aftermarket SLP powerflo cat back could be purchased from SLP. The first pics of muffler 1 look to be like the "powerflo" muffler only because it looks to be straight through, but from reading this doesn't make sense because it came on the car and therefore must be the dual dual?

To me the second muffler looks to be the Dual Dual muffler because it is not straight through.

Does anyone know which muffler is which?
Was the information about the Dual Dual muffler coming on firehawks incorrect and did SLP actually install the Powerflo muffler on the firehawks and SS?

Both pics are from passenger and driver side of the muffler where the tail pipes exit.

Muffler 1 (removed from firehawk)

Muffler 2

Last edited by pir7tr; 04-23-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sound clips of each one

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FqlFPKhsTaU thats LT ORY and powerflo muffler

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3wZClVDmjAw thats LT ORY and Dual/dual muffler
Old 04-23-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they are both dual duals.

The proflow catbacks have the mufflers before the exhaust tips, so its prob not that

How to tell slp dual dual-they are all stainless steel with dual tips on each side. Fairly big muffler with 8 spot welds on the top and 8 on the bottom of the muffler. My camaro had the Dual dual with CME tips. Camaros could be optioned with either tips
From my understanding none of the SLP cars received powerflow system. I believe they are fairly new to the market to begin with.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure that they are the same mufflers
Old 04-23-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by somws6bird
I think they are both dual duals.
Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
I am pretty sure that they are the same mufflers
I'm not so sure they're the same. They are similar, but they don't sound identical. I'm sure they could have different LTs/ORY Setups, but they should still sound more alike.

I guess its possible one has the "Cone of Silence" and the other does not.

The proflow catbacks have the mufflers before the exhaust tips, so its prob not that.
The new PowerFlo Catback System from SLP does have resonator-mufflers just before the exhaust tips, but I believe he's refering to the old Powerflo setup. It was simply a typical Catback System with a crossflow muffler.

How to tell slp dual dual-they are all stainless steel with dual tips on each side. My camaro had the Dual dual with CME tips. Camaros could be optioned with either tips. Fairly big muffler with 8 spot welds on the top and 8 on the bottom of the muffler.
This is correct.

From my understanding none of the SLP cars received powerflow system.
I agree with this, as well.

Here is my brother's 02 35th SS, if you'd like to compare your videos to one with a car I know has Dual Dual. The first video is the car with factory manifolds and Y-pipe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8OwAIhkbWk

The second is after adding Jet Hot LTs and a Pacesetter ORY...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piZSXBqSXfk

My bro just ordered a TSP ORY (with the Flowmaster Merge) to replace the Pacesetter with it's shitty merge. As soon as it arrives, we'll get it installed and I'll post another video.

I hope this helps. Keep this thread updated. I'm curious to know what you find out.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^^I actually added those videos as favorites on my you tube account previously before this thread to help compare sounds. I have also seen the other 4 or 5 videos including the install etc.

What I believe after doing some more searching, and correct me if I am wrong.

Both mufflers are the exact same casing with the 8 weld spots.

I know there is a new generation SLP powerflo system that can be added to the LM catback that has the small mufflers before the dual tips. I actually have those small mufflers on my CME true dual set up right now, hah.

Anyway, SLP had two catbacks in the early 2000's. SLP Dual Dual and SLP powerflo. The Dual Dual exhaust system came on the SS and firehawks while the SLP powerflo catback could be selected as an option or purchased from SLP. The Dual Dual system came on most of the CME systems.

Some of the cars ordered with the SLP powerflo exhaust system included the "cone of silence," for noise/pollution restrictions etc.

So now I do believe that the first muffler I have pictures of and also seeing how its through style helps me conclude that it is the SLP powerflo catback without the "cone of silence", leaving muffler 2 the dual dual catback which makes since by noticing the extra baffle closing it off and forcing the exhaust flow through the entire muffler before exiting.

Last edited by pir7tr; 04-25-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-than-d-d.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-silence.html
Old 04-25-2010, 12:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Neither one of those are the Powerflo
Old 04-25-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Neither one of those are the Powerflo
What are they? What is the powerflo catback muffler?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is what mine sounds like and it is the D/D. I thought mine had the ring of silence so I hacked the tail pipe and it turns out there was no ring of silence. When I looked inside the muffler it looked exactly like the one in your first picture. I have no idea what that other muffler is though, but it sure sounds good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_b8PZTpO_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vbo6w0SWaU
Old 04-25-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^Thanks for sharing, that does sound good. In the first video does the car have LT's with an ORY or catted Y-pipe?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by pir7tr
^^^^Thanks for sharing, that does sound good. In the first video does the car have LT's with an ORY or catted Y-pipe?
It has LT's with a custom 3" ORY that goes to a 3.5" flowmaster merge collector to a 3.5" manual cutout than out the factory exhaust which is 2.75" I pipe with a crush bend. I love the dual dual as it keeps the car nice and quiet for cruising around. Only problem is the I pipe I believe, as open cutout gains 17hp / 15 tq. Look how much the muffler tames the car. The exhaust came stock on the car so it was nice to not have to spend money on a catback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed8s0ovoQDU
Old 04-25-2010, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Here is what mine sounds like and it is the D/D. I thought mine had the ring of silence so I hacked the tail pipe and it turns out there was no ring of silence. When I looked inside the muffler it looked exactly like the one in your first picture. I have no idea what that other muffler is though, but it sure sounds good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_b8PZTpO_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vbo6w0SWaU
Sounds good and nice shifting too.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you purchase your D/D from SLP or was it optioned from the factory?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:38 AM
9 Second Club

It has LT's with a custom 3" ORY that goes to a 3.5" flowmaster merge collector to a 3.5" manual cutout than out the factory exhaust which is 2.75" I pipe with a crush bend. I love the dual dual as it keeps the car nice and quiet for cruising around. Only problem is the I pipe I believe, as open cutout gains 17hp / 15 tq. Look how much the muffler tames the car. The exhaust came stock on the car so it was nice to not have to spend money on a catback.
This ^
Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Haha wow!

Quick Reply: Both SLP catbacks