Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks True Dual 2.5" Bolt-On Over Axle Setup, Need Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks True Dual 2.5" Bolt-On Over Axle Setup, Need Feedback

Went over to Kooks Custom Headers this morning. George Jr. and Nick had a nice surprise to show me. They had just completed a customer's car with a true dual x-pipe system running all the way over the axle with tailpipes/tips.

We are now looking to make a production direct bolt-on true dual system. This true dual system will fit the Kooks LS1 f-body headers with no fabrication at all, it will also bolt-up with no welding necessary utilizing stock exhaust mounts and other fabricated hardware included.

If you were to use this system on another aftermarket header, some fabrication may be necessary. The x-pipe will follow the same design as their y-pipe, allowing for a slip-fit on one side to adjust for the headers. The only problem is that all headers do not have the same location/length/etc. I would say most aftermarket header systems won't require much work besides cutting back or adding some piping to fit on the collectors.

Nick took me for a spin in the car. The car sounds awesome at idle. While cruising it is very mellow until you jump on it, then it really comes alive. There is no banging or fitment issues, everything is clearanced and ready to bolt up.

Anyways, we need some feedback on this system. I did have sound clips from this morning, but the files were corrupt so I will have to get more clips another time. Here are some sneak peek pictures.

As the system stands right now, this will be the components included:

- (2x) Bullet style mufflers
- Slip-Fit X-Pipe
- Available with Magnaflow hi-flow cats (As pictured) or without cats (Offroad x-pipe)
- Aluminized steel 2.5" piping
- All hardware

Please note that this will not be the finished product, as we are taking new measurements for a system that will work with an aftermarket driveshaft loops rather than the stock crossmember. Also this system was fabricated with 4 total bullet mufflers (2 before axle, 2 after axle), in which Kooks had to modify the passenger floorboard to allow for the extra 2 mufflers. The production system will have 2 mufflers located after the axle to allow for most ground clearance and so that you will not have to modify the floorboard.

We are not too sure about using the Dynomax bullet mufflers yet, we will be doing some dyno testing on a few different mufflers to see what produces the numbers.

This system will be retailing for around $1200, but we will be offering a special introductory pricing. If the positive outlook is there, we will be taking deposits soon and production should commence within 4-6 weeks.

So please we could use all the feedback possible. I'll get one question out of the way now - No, we do not plan on making a stainless steel system bolt-up system.

Thanks for your input,
Matt Sorian
Old 01-09-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Looks good Matt. How will it look and fit with the Spohn torque arm??
Old 01-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Looks good.
Yeah it looks nice. Looked great when Blue2kss got his done there 6 months ago, I think the 4 muffler setup is a bit overkill though, The system is really clean. Good luck with it. When I eventually get a h/c combo going in I will def, have them install a true dual setup.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that looks awesome

but good god 1200 bucks
Old 01-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Banned

We will be working close with Kooks on this project. We will be bringing in numerous project cars of ours to test fit everything. We are hoping to make a system that will fit the any torque arm including the Spohn (The BMR Xtreme Duty may be excluded because of it's crossmember location).

Silver98: We are actually making this a production system, meaning you could buy it and have it installed with us or at Kooks.

Tally: That's the market value on a full over the axle true dual setup right now. This is not the final price, but I wanted to give an estimate of what it might be.

I will have final pricing I hope sometime next week.

- Matt
Old 01-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Default Nice set-up

Hi....I'm very interested in your system. I might even volunteer my near- stock '99 Trans Am for testing The set-up looks similiar to the LS1 Speed version. Aluminized piping should be okay. However, I'd really like to see some nice stainless steel mufflers over-the-axle. In addition, interior noise, drone and resonance must not be a problem - I want it for a daily driver. Also, it should produce torque and horsepower under-the-curve or demonstrate increases in all RPM ranges. Finally, is the "x" placed in the best location for making power? Please keep me updated. It would be great to see a complete package from the headers all the way back to the tips; expensive, but fair. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Banned

As I said, we are still doing test fits and runs with these systems. We will be trying a bunch of different options so we can make the most usable power. Using stainless steel mufflers is one of our considerations actually, as I said it's still in the works.

I guess it is similar to the ls1 speed version, considering both of ours go over the axle but we are backing this with 40+ years of Kooks experience and a whole lot of money invested in R&D. On top of that, we include stainless steel cats in our kit, we'll also be making an offroad kit that will work out to be cheaper.

Well if you figure everything out... You can get into a set of Kooks stainless longtube headers plus the true dual system for under $2000. Compare this to Kooks + y-pipe + aftermarket catback you will be in the same range.

Anyone interested can start leaving me email messages to matt@ttperformance.net, I will put you on a mailing list to receive further information.

- Matt
Old 01-09-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it definately looks like a badass setup

keep up the good work and keep us posted
Old 01-09-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

$1200 is too much $$$. Especially if they're going to be mass-produced. The above system is identical (mostly) to the LS1SPEED.com dual exhaust (also $1200) and I have not seen too many cars with that exhaust, actually only one locally that I am aware of. You will get alot of interest, tirekickers, and window-shoppers, but not alot of buyers IMO. Lower the price to $800 or so, and you'd sell a bunch.

Shawn
Old 01-09-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

we dont control the price or the cost of manufacturing but remember this our system has cats i dont think ls1speeds system does have cats

george
Old 01-09-2004, 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Nice.

I got my headers and X pipe from Kooks.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

If it were 1200 with cats and was 49 state emission legal, I think I'll be selling my Kooks ORP I would be ESPECIALLY interested in the introductory price (maybe even a little better discount for returning Kooks\TTP customers

I would be interested in the sound clips I don't want a really loud car. Its one thing to sound mean on WOT but I don't want it loud all the time. Point of reference my 93 h\c car had headers\no cat\dynamax ultraflow and it was just too loud. A cat quieted down quite a bit so this system with cats may sound good???
Old 01-09-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
If it were 1200 with cats and was 49 state emission legal, I think I'll be selling my Kooks ORP I would be ESPECIALLY interested in the introductory price (maybe even a little better discount for returning Kooks\TTP customers

I would be interested in the sound clips I don't want a really loud car. Its one thing to sound mean on WOT but I don't want it loud all the time. Point of reference my 93 h\c car had headers\no cat\dynamax ultraflow and it was just too loud. A cat quieted down quite a bit so this system with cats may sound good???
im sure it wont be 49 state your headers are not 49 state any header that moves the cats makes them not 49 state but how many people are out there with headers with no problems this system will be for ls1 cars only mat said at speed the car was very quiet inside the cabin untill you cut it loose and it has a very nice tone at idle if we get enought intrest they will be built and the first batch will be 25 systems

george
Old 01-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

On one hand I really appreciate the effort to keep it tucked up nice above the tunnel brace. It's very clean looking compared to most dual systems I've seen that hang down and scrape road pizza.

But on the other, man o' man, $1,200 bucks? A Mufflex system costs nearly half that much............
Old 01-09-2004, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

I have less than 800 in my duals and coated headers combined.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Banned

The system today did have 4 mufflers, the mass-produced one will only have 2 mufflers but maybe an option for 4. It was abnormally quiet for an x-pipe true dual system, which leads me to believe that the 2 muffler system will be decently quiet also. Nick was cruising around 2000 RPMS just feathering it and it was nice & quiet. I'd imagine @ 1500rpm in a stick on the highway it would be silent with the radio on.

As I said, the $1200 is not a figure set in stone it is a starting point. I will work with George Jr, Nick and the entire Kooks team to get the price as low as possible. As with their headers, you are paying for quality exhaust products not something thrown together.

Brew: The Mufflex system does not include a x-pipe or cats.

Oh and here's another something to ponder. Kooks true duals vs. Kooks single catback --

Going by rough pricing:

Kooks 1 3/4 Longtube Headers (Stainless Steel) - $865
Kooks Catted Y-Pipe - $515
Mufflex 4" Catback w/ dual tips - $630

Total $2010.00

------------------------------------------------

Kooks 1 3/4 Longtube Headers (Stainless Steel) - $865
Kooks True Dual Exhaust System with stainless hi-flow cats - Approximately $1200

Total: $2065

Difference: 55.00 for a true dual system!!! Also, if used a Corsa or a GMMG exhaust, it would be more expensive than true duals.

Plus you guys will love the sales and packages we are going to come up with for introducing this to our product line.

I don't want this thread to turn into "Why is Kooks $1200"... I wanted positive or negative feedback on the system itself, not the cost. As I've said many times in the past to many people, you pay for what you get.

- Matt

Last edited by TTPMatt; 01-09-2004 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Banned

black z: You were able to get headers (I assume pacesetter coated headers for around $330)
+ x-pipe, tubing all the way out the back, mufflers, tips + labor for only another $470?
Old 01-09-2004, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Any reason why they aren't considering Stainless Steel pipe?
Old 01-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Banned

Plain and simple, stainless sucks to work on. When stainless goes from hot to cool down it has a tendency to disfigure. On top of that all stainless has to be TIG welded. Basically, it would send costs a lot higher between labor, tubing, etc.

- Matt

Quick Reply: Kooks True Dual 2.5" Bolt-On Over Axle Setup, Need Feedback