Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vacuum leak? Please help!! MONEY RACE FRIDAY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kmracer
one quick test that'll confirm it being a vacuum leak is, if you have vacuum brakes still, with the car running press the pedal rapidly. if rpm fluctuates, a vacuum leak is your problem.
that's freaken awesome. I was having problems after my 92/92 instal with it idleing high until it finds it's idle again. I was thinkin it was just in need of a re-tune but wouldn't hurt to try this and test for a vacuum leak.

To the OP, sorry to hear about this. Your car is a freaken monster and i hope you can get it all figured out.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
Good to know, but I have Aerospace drag brakes all around.
do you have a manual master cyl?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a manual master cyl?
Yea its a manual master from burkheart chassis. I was thinking today and this problem started happening around the time i installed my lingenfelter 2step, and timing tuner. If the box was messed up and kept pulling timing would this cause a similar problem as to what I have? I am going to unplug it from the coil packs tommarow, and see if that changes anything. But that still doesnt make any sense as to y it is locking the converter in the 1/8th mile.

One other question I have is if the car was tuned on TR6 plugs, and I switched to a BR7EF would it not run right? Or at least not as strong as it would with the TR6 plugs? I had a buddy mention that to me just as a idea.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, honesty (if possible) i'd take the computer out of the equation and put TCC on a switch. alot of mustang guys do this with solid results. +3-4mph.

and what it'd do is (depending on how right the idle is now) is foul pugs quicker. you're running a colder plug, and thats a "side effect." to the detonation resistance a colder plug gives. depending on how often you spray, you might wanna put a tr55 in until you're at the track. i'd even say pull a plug after some street driving. you should be pulling your plugs fairly often anyways.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the converter lockup on a switch that I use when running the quarter mile. that is why its weird. I have the car in manual 3rd, and it still locks up in the 1/8th. The switch is not stuck grounded, or anything like that ether.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

you might wanna check it, obviously something funkys going on. is it wired in with the pcm at all?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

you might wanna check it, obviously something funkys going on. is it wired in with the pcm at all?
I checked it the other day, and everything is good. It just wired to the pin wire that when grounded locks the converter. I forget which pin exactly.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Have you checked the PCV piping? The Y fitting hidden behind the manifold under the cowl seems to burn away. Ya can't see it, just follow it with your fingers.
I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything because this could be BlackWS666's problem too. My car also started to idle a little high. On my car, the vacuum line circled in red, has pretty close to no vacuum at the end where it attaches to the drivers side valve cover (near the firewall). If I detach the vacuum line from the valve cover the idle isn't affected at all. However, it does make a "putt-putt-putt" sound. I hooked a vacuum gauge up to that spot and it reads 0. Anywhere else the vacuum reads about 7" (I have a large cam so it will read low at idle).
What would cause there to be little to no vacuum in that area? Would that cause the idle to be high?

Quick Reply: vacuum leak? Please help!! MONEY RACE FRIDAY!!!