Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ported throttle body PICS

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ported throttle body PICS

Name:  IMG_0067.jpg
Views: 2090
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0068.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0074.jpg
Views: 2936
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0080.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  125.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0083.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  94.5 KB

This is my first time porting anything. let me know what you guys think? I used two different file bits on my dremel. I can take pics of what they looked like if anyone cares. I followed with 220 grit sanding drums. last I sanded by hand using 220 > 800 > 2000. Then mothers aluminum polish by hand.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

very clean.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks extremely good. How long did you take to do it?
Old 05-14-2010, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Good job, i need mine done like that.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

so clean you can see the iPhone.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great. Mine looks like that when I did mine years ago. As a matter of fact it still looks like that.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

What file bits did you use?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

looks like you went through the sidewall in the low spot how did you fit it?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks good, can you get some pics of the bits?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Restricted User

nice work. not a big fan of the epoxy mod personally, but still very nice work...
Old 05-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Launching!

wow thats some nice work, is that still the stock blade?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6nJAX
nice work. not a big fan of the epoxy mod personally, but still very nice work...
I'm still trying to figure out the benefit of the epoxy mod alot of people do. Is it a proven part of the port job? What pro's and con's have you experienced or seen in doing it?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

very professional looking work. nice job.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
I'm still trying to figure out the benefit of the epoxy mod alot of people do. Is it a proven part of the port job? What pro's and con's have you experienced or seen in doing it?
i always say that to each his/her own and what works for some is not always tried by others. like fishing... i like to use fresh shrimp and my brother like to use frozen. we both catch fish, but go about it a different way.

my (and this is only mine) experience with the epoxy mod is that it sometimes (and i did say sometimes not always) seperates from the housing as the metal constantly heats and cools. i have repaired several t/b's where i had to remove the epoxy entirely. could it have been a bad mix, of course. bad application, of course. does it happen to every throttle body that i have seen with the mod, nope not even close. i, me, and only my opinion is that i would rather not give anything the opportunity to be inhaled into my motor if i dont have to.

now back to giving this guy props. the port job looks great, the polishing looks awesome and it appears that the epoxy is seated nice and tight. job well done in my opinion.....
Old 05-15-2010, 06:40 AM
TECH Resident

i always say that to each his/her own and what works for some is not always tried by others. like fishing... i like to use fresh shrimp and my brother like to use frozen. we both catch fish, but go about it a different way.

my (and this is only mine) experience with the epoxy mod is that it sometimes (and i did say sometimes not always) seperates from the housing as the metal constantly heats and cools. i have repaired several t/b's where i had to remove the epoxy entirely. could it have been a bad mix, of course. bad application, of course. does it happen to every throttle body that i have seen with the mod, nope not even close. i, me, and only my opinion is that i would rather not give anything the opportunity to be inhaled into my motor if i dont have to.

now back to giving this guy props. the port job looks great, the polishing looks awesome and it appears that the epoxy is seated nice and tight. job well done in my opinion.....
Fresh shrimp FTW!!!! Seriously though, are people using something like JB Weld??
Old 05-15-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

how bout a ............how to..............guide
Old 05-15-2010, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dude, how have you not done the TB Bypass mod yet living in CA lol?

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins.../tb_bypass.htm

You don't need to buy the BMR kit to do it, just go to Lowe's and find a fitting that will slide in the 2 hoses and make sure its tight and ur done. Easy power lol
Old 05-15-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

looks really awesome, did you knife edge the blade and the tb ends, doesn't look like it.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are some pics before I cleaned up grooves and polished it. You can see the knifed edge and trimmed shaft tho, I finished that first.

Name:  IMG_0046.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0045.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  61.0 KB
Old 05-16-2010, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

first of all I want to say thank you for all the nice comments as they mean a lot! I try to take pride in the work I do and really hate when people do modifications the shitty way.

Originally Posted by FearTheDeer
so clean you can see the iPhone.
Lol I posted that pic b/c I thought that looked cool. Thought it could prove the polish job!

Originally Posted by Ls1Rook
What file bits did you use?
I used number 115 and 117 in the pics. not sure if these are the same dremel brand ones I used but they looked just like that!

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  53.9 KB

Originally Posted by 98PurpleT/A
looks like you went through the sidewall in the low spot how did you fit it?
I did go through the sidewall on the left just a tiny bit. By bit got stuck in a small groove just barely too long and it grinded through. It sucks, but it was an easy fix and was very small. The epoxy I used was metal / concrete epoxy from home depot.

Originally Posted by 05GTO6SPEED
looks good, can you get some pics of the bits?
see above post.

Originally Posted by OMGls1jz
wow thats some nice work, is that still the stock blade?
Yes, its still the stock blade. I knifed the edges and polished the cross hatched grooves off of both sides.

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
I have not been able to drive the car after the port and polish [I am waiting for my Midwest fabricated 9, in the meantime the car is supported by jack stands with a blown rear ], but I may have some credibility being an engineering student. I passed fluid dynamics last semester ( flowing intake air can be treated as a fluid) and believe the epoxy greatly reduces turbulence the cutout creates. I also believe the intake air temp. sensor ( Correct on type of sensor?) would not be affected by the mod in my case. When the intake valves open you want as much air/fuel mixture to fill the cylinders as possible in that brief amount of time the intake valve is open. The epoxy lowers the overall drag force of the intake channel which can make the air travel faster, maximizing the amount of air in the cylinder. Again this is my opinion.

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
That looks extremely good. How long did you take to do it?
I really spent my time on the project working on it over a couple days.
I would say about 6-7 hours.

thanks for props man. I totally respect your comment. Like I said some people do things the shitty way. I took my time and sanded the material well so that the epoxy would stick and stay. The epoxy is rated with a max temp of around 500 *F I believe. I dont think Intake air would ever reach that with a fast toys ram air kit. I hope the epoxy would be stable enough to not contract and expand with that high of a temp. :twocents: What do you fish for? :-)

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
how bout a ............how to..............guide
I could try to make one, but dont have pictures of the complete process. Would maybe need someone to take some pics of a stocker. I was a little disappointed seeing the sticky for this mod had deleted pics.

Originally Posted by djfury05
dude, how have you not done the TB Bypass mod yet living in CA lol?

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins.../tb_bypass.htm

You don't need to buy the BMR kit to do it, just go to Lowe's and find a fitting that will slide in the 2 hoses and make sure its tight and ur done. Easy power lol
Lol thanks for the reminder. I did this mod a while back but returned it back to stock because the hose was rubbing a pulley one day. I will do it!!!

hope this helps someone!

Quick Reply: ported throttle body PICS