Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 04:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Solid Motor Mounts

what are the advantages and disadvantages of these? besides weight.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest going with poly motor mounts unless your building a all out race car.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Im not happy with my poly motor mounts (will be getting rid of them)......they still let the engine torque up and smack close fit exhaust systems (my x-pipe) on the floor

I'm going to motor plates soon
Old 01-12-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
Im not happy with my poly motor mounts (will be getting rid of them)......they still let the engine torque up and smack close fit exhaust systems (my x-pipe) on the floor

I'm going to motor plates soon
You can fabricate a motor torque strap to keep it from moving around..nothing to it.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Solid mounts aren't a good idea on the street. You stand a good chance of cracking the block around where they bolt in due to the torque and bumpy roads. i don't advise it unless its a track only car. Poly mounts should work just fine. IMO
Old 01-13-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Taspeed
Solid mounts aren't a good idea on the street. You stand
a good chance of cracking the block around where they bolt in due to the torque and bumpy roads. i don't advise it unless its a track only car. Poly mounts should work just fine. IMO

Madman told me this about using solid mounts that bolt in the factory motor mount location. He says they found that the stress (on high HP motors) on the side of the block in that small area was distorting the case and could cause block cracking.

His feeling (and mine) is that if you are going to go with a solid mouting of a motor, it needs to be a plate mount (front and mid) which will spread the load over the entire front and rear of the block thus preventing damage.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
Madman told me this about using solid mounts that bolt in the factory motor mount location. He says they found that the stress (on high HP motors) on the side of the block in that small area was distorting the case and could cause block cracking.

His feeling (and mine) is that if you are going to go with a solid mouting of a motor, it needs to be a plate mount (front and mid) which will spread the load over the entire front and rear of the block thus preventing damage.
Exactly why i went with plates. 2 bent mounts and 2 cracked cylinder liners, no more of that
Old 01-13-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by y2khawk
Exactly why i went with plates. 2 bent mounts and 2 cracked cylinder liners, no more of that

hey...any update on the next set?
Old 01-13-2004, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Would the solid motor mounts(Spohn) be ok on an iron block?
Old 01-13-2004, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

now you guys have me worried! I have madman solid mount, should I switch over to poly and TQ strap it? I don't wanna crack my block!
Old 01-13-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nickn20
now you guys have me worried! I have madman solid mount, should I switch over to poly and TQ strap it? I don't wanna crack my block!
well Madman told me they DO NOT make those anymore because they where having problems with blocks cracking
Old 01-13-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Street car = poly mounts, and a strap if you think you need it.

IMO: If an exhaust is still hitting after poly motor mounts.. the exhaust is the problem, not the mounts.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

HOw bad is the vibration in the car with poly mounts?
Old 01-13-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

One of the other things to consider is that for clutch swaps solid mounts make it a bit harder to get to those top bolts as the motor doesn't lean back like it does with stock mounts.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:20 PM
FormerVendor

Nice to see this post. Ya would think Madman would have said something to his customers who are using his product. I would love nothing more than to crack a 10k dollar solid roller motor over some POS part known to cause problems like this......
Old 01-14-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
IMO: If an exhaust is still hitting after poly motor mounts.. the exhaust is the problem, not the mounts.
the exhaust is the problem......but with a car that must go over speed bumps (huge MOTHER F*er that look like small mountains) and is lowered ~1.5", the exhaust MUST be as close to the body as possible (actually want it closer than it is)

Originally Posted by BigBlackZ28
HOw bad is the vibration in the car with poly mounts?
seems basically stock......though if you put the hood up, you can watch the tip (the front up in the air) move a slight bit...

I'm looking forward to the shake, rattle, and roll of the plate mounts
Old 01-14-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cammin BeaSSt
Nice to see this post. Ya would think Madman would have said something to his customers who are using his product. I would love nothing more than to crack a 10k dollar solid roller motor over some POS part known to cause problems like this......

People who have MAdman solids would do well to CALL him and ask his feelings on their aplication. He said at low to mid power levels its not really a problem (still not a wonderful idea) but cars that are makeing "big HP numbers" could be in trouble
Old 01-14-2004, 06:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

This discussion about solid motor mounts and LS1 motors AND my comments are being taken out of context. I have ONE engine builder that is having problems with ring seal. He is blaming my mounts. I havent proven or disproven his claims. I have numerous mounts out in cars that actually race and I havent had any problems. I am not selling any mounts right now till I can see what the problem this engine builder is having.

Hopefully this will explain my position.

225-343-9029
Old 01-14-2004, 06:49 PM
FormerVendor

Thanx for chiming in... I am not a "bigdog", but I think I make enough power to crack a block if indeed there is a problem. Shoot me a PM if you find out any info that could be beneficial to me...

Ron
Old 01-14-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MADMAN
This discussion about solid motor mounts and LS1 motors AND my comments are being taken out of context. I have ONE engine builder that is having problems with ring seal. He is blaming my mounts. I havent proven or disproven his claims. I have numerous mounts out in cars that actually race and I havent had any problems. I am not selling any mounts right now till I can see what the problem this engine builder is having.

Hopefully this will explain my position.
.....well that changes some things. From the way you told me on the phone, it seemed like you were against solid mounts.