Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability update, Meziere EWP 4 yrs on 2 different motors still going strong!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reliability update, Meziere EWP 4 yrs on 2 different motors still going strong!

Like the Title says, MEZIERE ewp 4 years and still going strong. I first added the Meziere EWP back in 2006 as the last mod to my 346. It didn't give me much of a hp gain but then again cant say specifically what it gained as it was added at the same time as afr 205 heads and an asp ud pully. I do know that I was getting 29-30 mpg cam and exhaust only. On the way back to Detroit from Dallas area I only stopped once for gas (but did pull into my garage on fumes) on a 1200 mile trip. Left Dallas topped off, and did the same in St Louis area then made it home just before the check guages light should come on for low fuel. 34 Mpg !!!

Fast forward to 2009/2010, the 346 is pulled due to issues. A new 402 is built and dropped in. All parts from the 346 were re used, including the Meziere ewp. Making more power then before and the EWP has no problems keeping the engine cool. 2010 I take a trip to Vengeance Racing looking to make my 402 perform better. Sold my afrs, cam and exhaust but kept my Meziere EWP !! After adding TFS, custom cam, and ARH 1 7/8 and putting down back to back runs of 541 rwhp 505 rwtq it was time to put the MEZIERE ewp to the test. You ask whats that? How about Georgia Heat !!! Before leaving for the burbs of Detroit Ron from Vengeance Racing took a ride with me for drivability purposes etc. I was curious to see how my engine temps were going to be in the 100* heat. To my surprise my coolant never got above 192* sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for extended times in that unmerciful 100 degree heat. As soon as we got rolling the temps would cool back down to high 160's (167-169) I run a 160 stat, and fans come on at 180 and 190 respectively. Needless to say the Meziere EWP works and works well at keeping your motor cool even in the harshest of conditions, and does it over the long haul as well. Biggest thing though, is the gas mileage gain. I like to take my car on trips and I not only need to know I am not going to be stranded but will not go broke do to fuel costs getting there. My 402 when in cruise mode gets 27 mpg. A big part of that is due to the MEZIERE EWP.

Great product so don't listen to the naysayers that they don't last and can't cool the engine like a belt driven pump. I've got 4 yrs of driving that says otherwise. With that being said, I am realistic. Got a backup in the garage for that inevitable day. Picked it up to prevent downtime. Hope to see many more miles of trouble free driving with my Meziere. Will update if and when she ever fails. Knock on wood.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know. I've always been a bit leery of them on a street car/dd. It's good to know they will hold strong. Have you ever had any issues with running a little warm? I plan to do a little auto cross/hpde, so I don't want any cooling issues.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Have never had any issues running warm. Then again I've never done any auto cross racing either. I'm willing to bet the sustained RPMS of auto X may begin to catch up to the Meziere EWP and would suggest you go with a high flow belt driven. Don't forget about your radiator, and might want to think about an oil cooler. Several good options on the market that will take care of both needs in one unit. Larger capacity radiator with built in oil cooler. I've had my LG SuperCool since 2006. Does a great job.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good deal...I will look into both. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

An EWP has always been on the bottom of my "things I may do one day" list and after reading your post it has moved up a few spaces. Thanks for the info and be sure to keep us updated!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks. When coupled with a ud pully, the two mods let the motor rev faster, and better gas mileage. That is when driven accordingly. LOL, but not many of us do it. Nice bonus for the track. Shut motor off, pop hood and turn key fwd and the pump runs circulating coolant while the motor is off. Nice bonus if the rotation at the track is quick.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

How many miles do you think the pump has on it total - over the 4 years and 2 engines? I know you did some long trips, just wondering how much you drive.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

this is great info. i guess they are worth their cost after all. no tune is needed with one either right?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't wait to put mine on. That, plus 1 7/8 Kooks - TD's should net me a decent gain in RWHP
Old 05-22-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by massls1guy
How many miles do you think the pump has on it total - over the 4 years and 2 engines? I know you did some long trips, just wondering how much you drive.

High 20's K.

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
this is great info. i guess they are worth their cost after all. no tune is needed with one either right?
No tuning at all at least to my knowledge, can't think what would need adjusted. All it does is reduce parasitic loss allowing the motor to rev quicker. Some people have hp gains others don't so depends on who you ask. I'd expect highway gas mileage gains if you are cruising. I know when the ud pully and EWP were added together I saw a 4-5 mpg gain, hard to believe but true. Keep in mind that is 6th gear 70 ish mph with cruise set. Let the computer control everything, all Im doing is steering .... My 402 has gotten a best of 27 mpg, but the temptation to go wot is hard to say no too especially when something worth racing gets next to you and dares you. 25 mpg is pretty easy even with a little playing, but again keep in mind this is on extended trips and cruising in 6th at 70 ish mph. I still have 3.42's, very good highway gear.

Originally Posted by SHovV
I can't wait to put mine on. That, plus 1 7/8 Kooks - TD's should net me a decent gain in RWHP

Those headers should pick up a good amount, don't hold your breath on a big added gain from the ewp. Some people have gained 0, yes zero, others have seen 5-10 rwhp. Who do you believe. The one thing I can guarantee is that your motor will rev quicker and easier with a reduction in load. Slightly better gas mileage too.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice long term report. I've been looking into installing my Meziere EWP.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bearcatt
Nice long term report. I've been looking into installing my Meziere EWP.
Perfect timing on commenting on this thread. Don't think it was a hiccup with the EWP, more likely the Stat was stuck. My car was warming up much quicker then usual as I left work to head back to the burbs. At any rate I notice the temp hit 223 so I pull over and open the hood. Not sure if the EWP is working due to how loud the motor is. I check the obvious no loose or disconnected wires to the EWP and fuse appeared to be intact so I inspect blockage of the RAD. No blockage found. Coolant temp is flucuating 221/223. I shut down the motor, turn key forward and verify the EWP is in fact working, it was. I restart the motor and whatever is she was having was gone. Temps dropped down pretty quick. BTW both fans were working so that wasn't it. I am going to theorize that I may want to consider replacing the STAT. I am guessing that since everything else was working fine the only thing it could be is a stuck STAT. Or a stat that wasn't opening fully. If this happens again or becomes a problem I will pull the EWP, and install my NEW backup with a new STAT. Send the 4yr EWP back to Meziere for a rebuild and save it for the next swap.

On a side note, its been hot as hell here in Michigan the last few weeks. Temps in the upper 80's, low to mid 90s with plenty of humidity. We all know that is a recipe for higher coolant temps, and a bigger strain on our cooling systems in general. At any rate, the LG SuperCool Rad, and Meziere EWP have more then been up to task for 4 years and counting. Never an issue until this little glitch. Ran the car all over yesterday too, and no issues.

**Can you change the stat without removing the EWP? Just for future reference in case I start having issues. Should be quicker to change the stat and burp the cooling system them remove the EWP.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by massls1guy
I think Im around 30,000 miles now. I really should've kept better records.

When its time for a rebuild I will be re using my EWP again.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
**Can you change the stat without removing the EWP? Just for future reference in case I start having issues. Should be quicker to change the stat and burp the cooling system them remove the EWP.
I've had more than enough room on my Camaro to change the t-stat without removing the pump. I just removed the intake including the throttle body, drained the radiator, pulled the upper hose (no coolant comes out at that point), unscrewed the upper neck, swapped the thermostat, and reassembled. Pretty easy, and not very messy.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Perfect timing on commenting on this thread. Don't think it was a hiccup with the EWP, more likely the Stat was stuck. My car was warming up much quicker then usual as I left work to head back to the burbs. At any rate I notice the temp hit 223 so I pull over and open the hood. Not sure if the EWP is working due to how loud the motor is. I check the obvious no loose or disconnected wires to the EWP and fuse appeared to be intact so I inspect blockage of the RAD. No blockage found. Coolant temp is flucuating 221/223. I shut down the motor, turn key forward and verify the EWP is in fact working, it was. I restart the motor and whatever is she was having was gone. Temps dropped down pretty quick. BTW both fans were working so that wasn't it. I am going to theorize that I may want to consider replacing the STAT. I am guessing that since everything else was working fine the only thing it could be is a stuck STAT. Or a stat that wasn't opening fully. If this happens again or becomes a problem I will pull the EWP, and install my NEW backup with a new STAT. Send the 4yr EWP back to Meziere for a rebuild and save it for the next swap.

On a side note, its been hot as hell here in Michigan the last few weeks. Temps in the upper 80's, low to mid 90s with plenty of humidity. We all know that is a recipe for higher coolant temps, and a bigger strain on our cooling systems in general. At any rate, the LG SuperCool Rad, and Meziere EWP have more then been up to task for 4 years and counting. Never an issue until this little glitch. Ran the car all over yesterday too, and no issues.

Even if the problem is the EWP, 4 years and about 30K is still very good.
I would be happy to get that kind of use out of one.

I will be curious to see how it turns out with the thermostat theory.
I must admit I myself would probably just install the backup pump
with a new thermostat. I would then send the original to Meziere for
a rebuild.

I learned about Michigan weather, I was in Michigan last week, while in Waterford it was 100 degrees and overcast, it started to peltdown rain bigtime, in a matter of 10 minutes the temperature dropped down to 75 degrees. My buddy has a digital thermometer in his car. I would not have believed it if I didn't see it.

All in all I still find your long term EWP report very helpful.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey MeentSS, the Meziere EWP has a neck and built in stat housing. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do quite as much as what you posted. Keep in mind my stat is built in to the EWP. I should probably go and read the ls1howto.com write up. Last time I went there the site was down. Will check later.

I can vouch for that temp drop BearCatt. I was surprised by how quick it dropped more then how much it dropped. Seemed like within about 2 mins time the temp readout dropped from low 100s to mid 70s.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Hey MeentSS, the Meziere EWP has a neck and built in stat housing. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do quite as much as what you posted. Keep in mind my stat is built in to the EWP. I should probably go and read the ls1howto.com write up. Last time I went there the site was down. Will check later.

I can vouch for that temp drop BearCatt. I was surprised by how quick it dropped more then how much it dropped. Seemed like within about 2 mins time the temp readout dropped from low 100s to mid 70s.
Are you saying yours is a different design from mine? The stat on mine sits directly behind the upper neck, and is a standard, old school SB Chevy thermostat. Does yours have something different?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fast377
Good to know. I've always been a bit leery of them on a street car/dd. It's good to know they will hold strong. Have you ever had any issues with running a little warm? I plan to do a little auto cross/hpde, so I don't want any cooling issues.
I had one in my old ride and never had an issue. New owner still has it as well. I paired mine with a painless wiring relay kit and never an issue. Too bad they are so expensive for the LS1s, or I would get one.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Teching In

What capacity EWP do you have 35, 40 or 55 GPM?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Mkelcy
What capacity EWP do you have 35, 40 or 55 GPM?
I'm pretty sure he runs the street pump just like I do, which is 55 GPM.

Quick Reply: Reliability update, Meziere EWP 4 yrs on 2 different motors still going strong!