Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best headers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best headers?

I am gonna start to save for headers and I have two questions:

1) How long does install take? My local shop is pretty good, so a ball park guess would be good enough.

2) What headers should I get? I am just gonna save for the headers that are most recommended. Keep in mind I have LM so something that won't be raspy would be nice. Thanks guys, advice is much appreciated.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you dont mind paying more, you outta check out the stepped header designs
or if you want the best economical header, either Hooker or Pacesetter

as for install, if they're really good with LS1's, it shouldnt take more than 4 hours on a lift, really shouldnt take half that long
Old 01-14-2004, 12:05 AM
12 Second Club

Any header is going to be raspy unless you get cats. Install at most shops is about 200 or so bucks. Just get long tubes with a catted y-pipe and you'll be fine. Dualling you car out is trash anyways.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:20 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

most shops charge 350-500 bucks depending on what LT's there installing. save the money and do it yourself.

based on price its:

pacesetters
jethot/hooker
kooks/qtp/flp

there are others like TTS and SLP but the above are the most popular. cats and LM doesnt sound too bad, will sound even better if you install a bullit in the I-pipe in addition to the cats.

and i dont know what the **** Rafeal is talking about but duals are awesome, period.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

jrp has a good list there and I agree about the bullit muffler. I had one on my old car and it kept the rasp down to almost nothing.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jrp
most shops charge 350-500 bucks depending on what LT's there installing. save the money and do it yourself.

based on price its:

pacesetters
jethot/hooker
kooks/qtp/flp

there are others like TTS and SLP but the above are the most popular. cats and LM doesnt sound too bad, will sound even better if you install a bullit in the I-pipe in addition to the cats.

and i dont know what the **** Rafeal is talking about but duals are awesome, period.
So out of those what would sound good with my LM? Cats are a must, I live in California. I am pretty sure long tubes are illegal as it is, but oh well. So cats, LM, and what is the question!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:13 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i live in cali as well and am running duals w/o cats now . the choice of LT's wont really effect the sound, there all relatively the same design anyway.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jrp
i live in cali as well and am running duals w/o cats now . the choice of LT's wont really effect the sound, there all relatively the same design anyway.

Haha you crazy bastard. California Emissions are soooooo lame. I am thinking Pacesetter or Hooker. Do you have an opinion?
Old 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Cali also, as a matter of fact, I live about 8-9 miles from you hehe. I too could care less about Cali emmisions, as long as I remove everything before smog testing, which wont happen for more than a year for me. I am working on a deal with a guy for some Hooker headers right now, with y-pipe also. As you said cats are a must, and are often checked unlike LT headers. Pacesetter headers are great, but the y-pipe is ****. You will need a custom one fabbed up. Look on the boards for deals on headers. Most come with an ORY and you will need to have some cats welded in, which is what I'm going to do. Gonna buy some CarSound cats with the headers.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

i just finished putting in my jet-hots yesterday and love them