Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. Catch Can routing issues (I searched) (Pics provided)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help. Catch Can routing issues (I searched) (Pics provided)

I have spent hours searching for the answer, and I still can't find what I'm looking for.

I'm currently installing a RevXtreme catch can on my 2001 SS (should be LS6 intake).

I'm having issues with how to route the plumbing.

Here is what I have at the moment: (Can is mounted, but I have yet to connect or disconnect anything)

From my searching, I believe I want this:

However, if you look back at MY pics, I don't have a valley cover port as shown in the pic above.

My questions are:
1.) Could the previous owner have put the LS1 manifold on before I bought the car?

2.) If my intake is the LS6, how do I run my lines? I believe my confusion comes from the fact I only have ONE location on the intake manifold to put a line in, but the last two imagines I provided show TWO locations. I don't have a port valley cover, as shown in the last picture.

Pics would be a HUGE plus.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 01 ss vert; 06-06-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your catch can is going to "interrupt" the existing hose that runs from the valley cover outlet to the intake manifold. So you remove that line and replace it with two: (a) one runs from the valley cover outlet to the top of the oil catch can; and (b) the other runs from the side outlet of the oil catch can to the intake manifold.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

But WHERE is my valley cover? According to my pics, I don't have one like the last few photos I submitted do. This is where my confusion lies.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pardon me, I am on a small lap top and I got confused as to which pictures are of you motor. Your catch can (in theory) should interrupt an existing line than runs from the back of the engine (where it pulls vapor from both valve covers) to the intake manifold. The line from the back of the engine connects to the top of the oil can and a line from the side of the oil catch can runs to the intake manifold. Do you have such a line? (from the back of the motor to the intake manifold).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Oil Catcher.pdf (147.8 KB, 511 views)
Old 06-06-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have the LS6 intake, but LS1 valley cover for the PCV system. You can upgrade to an LS6 valley cover/PCV system if you want (should help with oil consumption) - write up on LS1howto (get an +04 cover with an internal PCV valve though).
As for your current set-up...the LS1 PCV runs from the back side of the driver's valve cover around the back of the intake and meets with the line coming out of the back of the passenger valve cover, which then runs up to the front side of the intake.
You want your set-up to look like the first pic you posted with the red fender.

The diagram and last pic you posted are for the LS6 PCV system.

Ideally, if you are doing the catch can because of oil consumption, you should do the LS6 PCV swap first, as this keeps oil in the engine. Then if you still have issues, go to the catch can...the catch can just prevents oil for being dumped into the intake, but does not solve the original issue, which is a poor design for the PCV.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
You have the LS6 intake, but LS1 valley cover for the PCV system. You can upgrade to an LS6 valley cover/PCV system if you want (should help with oil consumption) - write up on LS1howto (get an +04 cover with an internal PCV valve though).
As for your current set-up...the LS1 PCV runs from the back side of the driver's valve cover around the back of the intake and meets with the line coming out of the back of the passenger valve cover, which then runs up to the front side of the intake.
You want your set-up to look like the first pic you posted with the red fender.

The diagram and last pic you posted are for the LS6 PCV system.

Ideally, if you are doing the catch can because of oil consumption, you should do the LS6 PCV swap first, as this keeps oil in the engine. Then if you still have issues, go to the catch can...the catch can just prevents oil for being dumped into the intake, but does not solve the original issue, which is a poor design for the PCV.

Thank you very much!

This is the information I needed to know. I wasn't aware that some LS6 intakes still had the LS1 valley cover style PCV system. I'll look into it further.

Last edited by 01 ss vert; 06-07-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

this is what you want

Old 06-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
this is what you want

This is correct for the RevX can also. Inlet (from crankcase) is the center top fitting, outlet is the side fitting on the old model can he has. It is one w/out the integrated checkvalve. Mine is the latest and both inlet & outlet is on the top and the PCV is built in.

Quick Reply: Help. Catch Can routing issues (I searched) (Pics provided)