Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are headers proven? Anybody with headers plz hlp

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
my car has 241 heads and cast iron
Correct..
Old 06-16-2010, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaunt

To add on to this, it would be a misrepresentation to say headers (at least long tubes) are only going to help your peak HP numbers on the dyno. That's simply not the case. There is power to be had at many places under the curve, and specifically, in the power band.
what does this mean?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey OP. It's me off Z28.

Like I said man don't worry. You wil see gains even with out the tune. As soon as you can retune. Bc with out your cats and O2's your cars going to not run the way it is SUPPOSED to run. I promise you you will love the difference in power once you get everything adjusted. At first I didn't feel a WHOLE LOT of a gain but I found out my exhaust was leaking from the Y pipe and all the way back to the tips. Had EVERYTHING welded shut and that helped a LOT. Just got to consider all variables when putting on aftermarket performance parts. The tune alone helps out a lot just like others have said.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
what does this mean?
LTs are made to pick up peak power and not low end grunt, like shorties would.

More than anything it gives an "illusion" that you are losing power down low. Reason is is because say you pick up 20Rwhp up top and only 5Rwhp across the curve. It will seem like you don't have as much "get up" as you did before, even though you have more.

Hopefully I explained that in easy enough terms. Not exact on but gives you an idea of what they are talking about when they say this.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Headers and tune, I gained around 30rwhp
Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Launching!

PUT THEM ON! And what the hell is DA? I feel like a tard not knowing the abbreviated word.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Justus67
PUT THEM ON! And what the hell is DA? I feel like a tard not knowing the abbreviated word.
Density Altitude. If you go to the strip and care if mods do anything for you or if you could have had a MUCH better night if weather wasn't ****, know it.

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...e=Calculate+DA
Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Got it.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z99ls1
its weird that headers only ls1 camaro/ta's break 12's with just headers though. Cuz that cant happen stock
Actually I was able to get into the 12's with just a lid and SLP catback. This was an M6 car though.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Why isn't there a poll on this thread?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Lemons, thanks for the link.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you're not actually losing ANYTHING down low, at all? Not a big deal for a car that's meant for speed, but let's say you want to do a full exhaust to a truck. On a truck, you definitely don't want to lose any low end power because you need it for pulling/hauling, so are long tube headers still OK for a truck? If the primary size argument is true (in the LS1's case it's 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8), then I would think you'd want smaller primaries for a truck if you're worried about the low end.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You are losing down low. Put some headers on and drive up some big hills at part throttle at a lower rpm and tell me it didn't hurt you. Don't even go WOT so you won't have any sense of relativity. As far as the trucks go, I tuned an Avalanche recently before and after a header swap. It felt pretty strong for what it was but after the header swap it felt like ****. It's more exaggerated in that case because it's a 6000lbs truck with a 5.3 and not a 3600lbs f-body with a 5.7, but it's still a loss either way.

You're losing exhaust velocity (which some people confuse for back pressure). The bigger the primary the more you are hurting the exhaust velocity. You only want what you need and no more. The problem is that it's always changing. The higher rpm you go the more exhaust flow you need. In the lower rpms you need very little.

Kinda like how VTEC works in Hondas. You don't need it down low, but up high the VTEC kicks in and all hell breaks loose.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Install them! I picked up headers/ORY/exhaust almost 2 months ago... big difference. Haven't had a chance to go to the track since headers/ory/exhaust/tune, but im hoping to go soon.

I was lucky enough to come across LT headers, ORY and exhaust for $125. You'll feel a difference without a doubt. Also, you'll love the sound of your exhaust after headers!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Justus67
Lemons, thanks for the link.
No problem.
Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You are losing down low. Put some headers on and drive up some big hills at part throttle at a lower rpm and tell me it didn't hurt you. Don't even go WOT so you won't have any sense of relativity. As far as the trucks go, I tuned an Avalanche recently before and after a header swap. It felt pretty strong for what it was but after the header swap it felt like ****. It's more exaggerated in that case because it's a 6000lbs truck with a 5.3 and not a 3600lbs f-body with a 5.7, but it's still a loss either way.

You're losing exhaust velocity (which some people confuse for back pressure). The bigger the primary the more you are hurting the exhaust velocity. You only want what you need and no more. The problem is that it's always changing. The higher rpm you go the more exhaust flow you need. In the lower rpms you need very little.

Kinda like how VTEC works in Hondas. You don't need it down low, but up high the VTEC kicks in and all hell breaks loose.
Jon, would you happen to have any dyno graphs actually showing before/after header swaps and actually losing Rwhp down low? I am interested.. I would be surprised if you actually lost Rwhp throughout most under the curve. I am sure there might be a small dip or two, but nothing you would notice. 2-3Rwhp at most I would assume.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lemons12
No problem.

Jon, would you happen to have any dyno graphs actually showing before/after header swaps and actually losing Rwhp down low? I am interested.. I would be surprised if you actually lost Rwhp throughout most under the curve. I am sure there might be a small dip or two, but nothing you would notice. 2-3Rwhp at most I would assume.
I have one from my CTSV, I added LTs and an aluminum flywheel and retuned. It's down maybe a 1 rwhp, it's kinda hard to even see 2 lines up until about 3000 then it's starts to be more of a difference, but that's headers and a 40lbs loss of weight off of the crank. So it's hard to know whats what.

I was more talking about the loss during part throttle driving in the lower rpms (that you would normally be driving in). It's more apparent on an M6 car. I do think that stock stalls take more of a hurting at the track because they take so long to get up into the rpms and the first 60' is everything. You'll just about always notice stock stall A4 60's are slightly worse with headers, but they pull a little harder on the big end and sometimes make it up and have more MPH.

The exception is LS1Rook who gained .05 in the 60' and .4 in the 1/4 in worse weather, but to be honest his numbers are stellar by any stretch for what few mods he has. What all is done to your car LS1Rook? What's it weight and why do you not have a stall yet? Or do you have a small stall? I was running 8.1s/12.5s with draglites and not cutting those 60's.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

Wow man I really thought you were smarter than this! Installing headers on any car/truck will increase the hp and torque output of the engine. Please people, if you are gonna post information on this site make sure that it is facts and not just your oppinion! The goal of performance exhaust headers is mainly to decrease flow resistance (back pressure), and to increase the volumetric efficiency of an engine, resulting in a gain in power output. The processes occurring can be explained by the gas laws, specifically the ideal gas law and the combined gas law. When an engine starts its exhaust stroke, the piston moves up the cylinder bore, decreasing the total chamber volume. With the exhaust valve opens, the high pressure exhaust gas escapes into the exhaust manifold or header, creating an exhaust pulse comprising three main parts: (factory manifolds do not utilize this effect) The high-pressure head is created by the large pressure difference between the exhaust in the combustion chamber and the atmospheric pressure outside of the exhaust system. As the exhaust gases equalize between the combustion chamber and the atmosphere, the difference in pressure decreases and the exhaust velocity decreases. This forms the medium-pressure body component of the exhaust pulse. The remaining exhaust gas forms the low-pressure tail component. This tail component may initially match ambient atmospheric pressure, but the momentum of the high- and medium- pressure components reduces the pressure in the combustion chamber to a lower-than-atmospheric level. This relatively low pressure helps to extract all the combustion products from the cylinder and induct the intake charge during the overlap period when both intake and exhaust valves are partially open. The effect is known as scavenging. Length, cross-sectional area, and shaping of the exhaust ports and pipeworks influences the degree of scavenging effect, and the engine speed range over which scavenging occurs. Headers work because of the savaging effect they have on an engine (this is also why having the correct ory merge collector like a mufflex or flowmaster is important). As the exhaust gases are being pushed out of the engine and pass through the collector they start to savage more air into the engine in turn creating more h.p. and torque. This affect it has on the engine is also the reason you would want to get the engine tuned after a header swap. You are pulling more air through the engine and causing it to run somewhat lean. Adding more fuel to compensate for the added air flow will again help the engine make more H.P. !!

Last edited by odarabla; 06-16-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

Here are a few links you can read to help you understand more about whats going on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_efficiency

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_pressure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_gas_law
Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by odarabla
Wow man I really thought you were smarter than this! Installing headers on any car/truck will increase the hp and torque output of the engine. Please people, if you are gonna post information on this site make sure that it is facts and not just your oppinion! The goal of performance exhaust headers is mainly to decrease flow resistance (back pressure), and to increase the volumetric efficiency of an engine, resulting in a gain in power output. The processes occurring can be explained by the gas laws, specifically the ideal gas law and the combined gas law. When an engine starts its exhaust stroke, the piston moves up the cylinder bore, decreasing the total chamber volume. With the exhaust valve opens, the high pressure exhaust gas escapes into the exhaust manifold or header, creating an exhaust pulse comprising three main parts: The high-pressure head is created by the large pressure difference between the exhaust in the combustion chamber and the atmospheric pressure outside of the exhaust system. As the exhaust gases equalize between the combustion chamber and the atmosphere, the difference in pressure decreases and the exhaust velocity decreases. This forms the medium-pressure body component of the exhaust pulse. The remaining exhaust gas forms the low-pressure tail component. This tail component may initially match ambient atmospheric pressure, but the momentum of the high- and medium- pressure components reduces the pressure in the combustion chamber to a lower-than-atmospheric level. This relatively low pressure helps to extract all the combustion products from the cylinder and induct the intake charge during the overlap period when both intake and exhaust valves are partially open. The effect is known as scavenging. Length, cross-sectional area, and shaping of the exhaust ports and pipeworks influences the degree of scavenging effect, and the engine speed range over which scavenging occurs. Headers work because of the savaging effect they have on an engine (this is also why having the correct ory merge collector like a mufflex or flowmaster is important). As the exhaust gases are being pushed out of the engine and pass through the collector they start to savage more air into the engine in turn creating more h.p. and torque. This affect it has on the engine is also the reason you would want to get the engine tuned after a header swap. You are pulling more air through the engine and causing it to run somewhat lean. Adding more fuel to compensate for the added air flow will again help the engine make more H.P. !!
I don't disagree with any of that, but it also doesn't conflict with anything I've said.

They will make more power, but at a certain rpm range. You just simply loose too much exhaust velocity and energy at low rpm to make power.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 PM
10 Second Club

I don't disagree with any of that, but it also doesn't conflict with anything I've said.

They will make more power, but at a certain rpm range. You just simply loose too much exhaust velocity and energy at low rpm to make power.
Why wouldn't you believe any of this? You are not going to lose any power anywhere in the rpm range when installing high performance long tube tuned exhaust headers. Now it will move your peak #'s higher up in the rpm range but you shouldn't lose any h.p. at all.

Here is a comparison test write up you can read.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...est/index.html

Quick Reply: Are headers proven? Anybody with headers plz hlp