Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick noise after header install

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick noise after header install

So I installed headers a few months ago and the car has been driven may two to three times a week and I have noticed that there is a tick tick noise at idle and even when i'm just driving. I took it to a muffler shop and the only thing they could think of is the gasket in between the header and the block because they don't see a leak at all. Is this what everyone else thinks and should I take it off and replace it? Also when I am at a higher gear and just driving on the highway in 6th, the car seems to have more noise coming from the engine. Maybe its all relivant to this, just let me know what you guys think
Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i installed headers not too long ago. before the install i noticed a previous owner broke off the very first manifold bolt on the driver side (primary #1). no leak what so ever. took off the manifolds and sure enough the bolt was broken off flush with the head. i was pissed. i said **** it and installed them anyways because it wasnt leaking before. i just put high temp gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket and sure enough no leak. i guess i got lucky. if i were you i would reinstall them with some high temp sealant and see if that works.
good luck!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a ticking noise that I thought was a header leak after I did my headers. Turned out to be a loose spark plug. I'd find out which side of the car the tick is coming from and then make sure all the spark plugs on that side are tight. The loose spark plug I found wasn't even that loose, I turned it maybe a quarter turn and the ticking dissapeared.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Could be many issues like stated above, but with a header install, you sometimes get lucky and other times you are chasing that tick. What gaskets did you use on the install? Most stick with the factory ones and have had the best luck. I actualy used some seal for good gaskets on mine, and they are great. Also, did you retighten the header bolts after the first few heat cycles after the install? As far as more noise from the engine, that comes with the LTs on the car. The collector is now under the car instead of near the engine where the cats were. Also the cats were taking out some of the noise as well. So with the LTs on, you will seem to hear more noise near the block as well comming from around the collectors at the bottom of the car. Once you figure out that tick, things will start to sound better.

Last edited by tdevil55; 08-05-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

i have a tick noise also after installing LT's, LS6 manifold, but I'm pretty sure my tick noise might be a bent pushrod, because a manifold bolt broke off into the head and i had to remove the head to get the bolt out and i just had the pushrods out in the open not really taking care of them. I'll be putting new hardened pushrods soon hopefully it fixes it.

GL on figuring out your problem. hope its something simple
Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya i bet it is a leak at the gasket
Old 08-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys hopefully I will have a chance to work on it this weekend
Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 PM
^^^^x1 Registered User

Ur best chance is to look at the gasket 1st. Is probably not put on right or u need some of the seal.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

have no worries, i believe there is nothing wrong with you car. I have been chasing the magical ticking ghost myself. After doing plugs/wires/headers etc... my car developed this also.. i have checked evertyhing at least 3 times and can not find anything. it did not tick before the headers, but then started ticking after. I have just come to the conclusion that it is valve train noise, that is now more noticable because of the LT's. It is annoying as hell but has not had any perfomace issues at all.

I have checked plugs, wires, bolts, all my welds on my exhaust are good etc... and still have found nothing wrong.

Let us know, keep us informed if you find anything, but this has been almost a year and a half for me, and no problems, just annoying tick.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found I could "hear" more of the valve train once headers were in. My headers were ceramic coated too. No leaks in exhaust, but it seems to me the thinner walls allows more upper frequency sounds out.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

What gaskets are you using? Gm mls ftw! I had a tick shortly after I installed headers. Went back over the header bolts. One must have been a bit loose. No more tick.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Restricted User

don't worry about the little ticking noise. It is just the noise the headers make. I notice me and both my friends with headers all have that very faint ticking noise. It is just the sound of the headers. I have gm metal gaskets and the bolts are tight and perfect and you still get that faint ticking noise, but thats just the sound of ur headers.

Quick Reply: Tick noise after header install