Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow Catback question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fitment on my Magnaflow catback is appalling. The hanger on the driver side tailpipe comes no where NEAR the rubber grommet it's supposed to hang on. The tips are impossible to get perfectly straight and even, will not happen, period. The over-axle pipe is difficult to get to clear the upper panhard bar, I struggled with it for quite some time.

To top it all off, it doesn't sound that great. It's as quiet as stock and with stock manifolds and cats I much prefer the sound of the factory exhaust, although those nasty black flat tips were hideous... not that the truck tips on the Magnaflow are much better.

The reason why the Magnaflow catback is popular is it's the cheapest stainless steel catback that's quiet for daily driving and flows decent.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flows good, Fits poorly, good if your seeking something quite.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackBADaSS02
My Magnaflow fit fine. It took a little bit to adjust it, but I have no problems with it clearing anything.
pictures please you would no crap be the first I have seen without custom welding to get a magnaflow to fit fine with "adjustment out of the box" I know when I installed mine the passenger side pipe was contacting the over the axle pipe just to get it into the hanger and it was still angled up and the muffler sat low. Exhaust shop had to cut alittle out of the I pipe to get the mufller higher and then do some more work on the tips to get mine dead on. then it started to hit the panhard bar so i sold it for 50 bucks just to never see it again.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by skopers3
Nope, I think my ears are fine. I have the Magnaflow on my own car and am not the biggest fan of it in person, so forgive me if your vid doesn't mean **** to me.
Yours sounds like **** because your not running cats. It's not your muffler that is poor sounding.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I purchased a used Magnaflow catback on here. It came with a foot long or so resonator installed in the I pipe. It sounds real good in my opinion. Its about 99% rasp free...And this is on a h/c car without cats.
And I am not one of those guys that's defending a product just because he has it..One thing that I really hate is rasp..I think mine would of been raspy if it wasn't for the resonator that the previous owner installed.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
I purchased a used Magnaflow catback on here. It came with a foot long or so resonator installed in the I pipe. It sounds real good in my opinion. Its about 99% rasp free...And this is on a h/c car without cats.
And I am not one of those guys that's defending a product just because he has it..One thing that I really hate is rasp..I think mine would of been raspy if it wasn't for the resonator that the previous owner installed.
To be honest, there isn't a single catback you could put on the LS1 and it not sound "good", or "poor". Your choice in cat-back will have little to do with the overall sound. They all sound good. When you get into ORY's without resonators is when you will begin to get rasp and sloppiness.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by got milk??
pictures please you would no crap be the first I have seen without custom welding to get a magnaflow to fit fine with "adjustment out of the box" I know when I installed mine the passenger side pipe was contacting the over the axle pipe just to get it into the hanger and it was still angled up and the muffler sat low. Exhaust shop had to cut alittle out of the I pipe to get the mufller higher and then do some more work on the tips to get mine dead on. then it started to hit the panhard bar so i sold it for 50 bucks just to never see it again.
Not a very good pic, but I have about 1/2" clearance over the upper panhard bar, and about 1/4" clearance from the panhard bar bracket. I didn't have to cut or weld anything.
Attached Thumbnails Magnaflow Catback question.-dscf1063.jpg  
Old 10-16-2010, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a mag on the 98 car. Sounded good to me. Not as good as the borla I have now though. But the mag fit good,flowed good,sounded good,and no problems with it but hey...thats jmo
Old 10-16-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a 230/227 112 cam, all bolt ons, longtubes, and ory and magnaflow catback and i am not really impressed at all. It is not really loud. It sounds okay. I purchased magnaflow on my car after running longtubes, ory, and LM1 on my old Z28. and i actually kinda missed how loud the LM1 was. Dont really care for the rasp tho...LOL.

I do plan on selling my catback if i could sell it, but i want to run TSP duals with dynomax bullets. If not, i might actually end up buying hooker catback. I know the hooker might not be as loud as magnaflow, but i think it has a deeper more muscular sound to it than magnaflow.

My wife says, i cant even hear your car pulling in the driveway..LMAO..DAMN..
Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get an electric cutout, totally fixes that problem, and allows you to be quiet around cops. Love my DMH e-cutout!
Old 10-16-2010, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skopers3
Good flowing, poor sounding, IMO
yup!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1

My wife says, i cant even hear your car pulling in the driveway..LMAO..DAMN..
Shes lieing and trying to curb the male ego
Old 10-17-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Shes lieing and trying to curb the male ego

Hahaha.. honestly man it is not really loud. My next door neighbors truck is louder than mine. I also have a buddy who lives around the corner who is running duals and i can hear him start up his car.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

I like mine.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

I LOVE my Magnaflow catback. I'm running logtubes and a TSP catted y pipe. There were ZERO fitment issues (except for the y-pipe banging), the catback went in with no problem. As for the sound, everyone has their opinion, but I got tired of my dumped catless duals and love this sound soooo much more. Its a much cleaner and refined sound, but still very aggressive when you get on it. And when I want to make more noise, I just open the cutout!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

I own it and agree with you. The upside is after its been on a few years you can polish it and it looks new.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine has been sqeeking for the last 2 weeks and now it just sounds like its literally about to fall off.. crawled under it and pushed on it hardly moves? idk i need to get it on a lift and mess with it. i plan on getting longtubes soon but i am so damn torn about catted or ORY with the magnaflow
Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't bag on other people's stuff for no reason, but I just want to give my opinion. Magnaflow cat-backs for the f-body sound like complete **** IMHO. They flow great and make awesome power like they should, but those Z71 truck tips, poor fitment, and shitty sound on every one of them I've ever heard turn me off to it. About the fitment issue mentioned earlier, every one of them that I've seen in person under the car fits like complete butt. I'm not trying to start a CB pissing match or offend anyone in here, just giving my opinion.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like the tone its just too quiet , everyone has their own personal opinion about sounds but the tips def belong on a truck lol i just cant take the falling apart sounds anymore
Old 10-18-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

the thing is people love magnaflow because its not too loud, stainless steel, and its priced tough to beat. But if i would do it over again i would do hooker catback, and GMMG, or duals! Magnaflow is not loud at all. im not sure why people think it is loud. it sounds okay. its got a mellow, smooth, crisp sound.

Plus alot of people think its raspy. magnaflow is not raspy at all. Loudmouth is raspy.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Catback question.