Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks released new exhaust for f-body

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blownws6_nc
I talked to the guy at Kooks that owns the car in the video, It has the polluter cam from tick performance with a good set of heads. I went ahead and placed a pre order with him, so hopefully in 2 weeks, I'll have it. I love my powerflo, but I have always wanted true duals like this, so I'm in.

Is that trans am lowered at all? If so what springs and how is the clearance?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by taman86
ok there always has to be at least one that doesnt follow the crowd and tonight that is me. why in the **** is everyone getting all hyped up over a new true dual system from a name brand company, big ******* deal!!! bassani had a true dual system out back in '07 and kooks is barely putting one on the market?! i have a 2.5" true dual system on my cammed t/a and i can tell you that my custom system sounds a hell of a lot better then that one and im using cheap *** flowtech or dynatech knock off bullets with 3.5" magnaflow tips that look to be a foot long almost. mine is straight back off the headers to x-pipe just behind the tranny, striaght back under axle to the tips. WAY less bends and way better flowing then this over priced POS system. oh and lets not forget the price, 1500 is the cheapest so far is the consenses. to have mine custom fabricated for labor and cost for parts, $400. they want to charge 1500 for a bunch of flashy stainless steel pipes, ya it looks good but it weighs a **** ton and is way over kill. you can even get a custom dual set up with stainless steel for hundreds less, maybe even a grand less. im sorry but there are alot of over spending morons in this country that always has to have to the biggest, flashiest, newest **** out on the market. and people wonder why the economy is **** right now. its because of dumb *** people willing to pay for that flashy **** and willing to do what ever it takes. so please be smart and have common sense people, does it make sense to pay 1500 dollars for a crappy *** flashy true dual system with a big name brand logo on it or get one that out performs and sounds better then this for hundreds less.
AMEN...I just didn't want to be the first to say it. A local shop here has done hundreds of exhaust systems on 98-02 F-Bodys and Vettes locally since 1998. 100% custom SS stuff. His systems are all top quality stuff and look MUCH cleaner with less bends, and will outflow this new Kooks system........$1,000 complete.

Funny. But there will always be the suckers that will pay for a name brand.

Can this Kooks system be used with an aftermarket, cross member mounted TQ arm?????

Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JohnnyBz28
Is that trans am lowered at all? If so what springs and how is the clearance?
No it isn't lowered. It has stock springs.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...how many other companies are designing new product for these cars? Last I saw the only real new product is Chinese knock off stuff.

Most stainless, true dual catback exhausts for any newer car run $1000+. And this is the good stainless, 304, not 409. When you consider that this also includes cats and is actually made in the US, I think the price is right. The price won't be for everyone, and if you don't want to spend it, then don't. However I don't see a need to get your boxers in a wad and get all down on the product. More choices and new products are good even if not everyone wants to spend that kind of money.

FWIW, anyone looking for these systems, we have 5 coming in soon. Contact us @ 443-730-9428 for special group buy pricing.

ok there always has to be at least one that doesnt follow the crowd and tonight that is me. why in the **** is everyone getting all hyped up over a new true dual system from a name brand company, big ******* deal!!! bassani had a true dual system out back in '07 and kooks is barely putting one on the market?! i have a 2.5" true dual system on my cammed t/a and i can tell you that my custom system sounds a hell of a lot better then that one and im using cheap *** flowtech or dynatech knock off bullets with 3.5" magnaflow tips that look to be a foot long almost. mine is straight back off the headers to x-pipe just behind the tranny, striaght back under axle to the tips. WAY less bends and way better flowing then this over priced POS system. oh and lets not forget the price, 1500 is the cheapest so far is the consenses. to have mine custom fabricated for labor and cost for parts, $400. they want to charge 1500 for a bunch of flashy stainless steel pipes, ya it looks good but it weighs a **** ton and is way over kill. you can even get a custom dual set up with stainless steel for hundreds less, maybe even a grand less. im sorry but there are alot of over spending morons in this country that always has to have to the biggest, flashiest, newest **** out on the market. and people wonder why the economy is **** right now. its because of dumb *** people willing to pay for that flashy **** and willing to do what ever it takes. so please be smart and have common sense people, does it make sense to pay 1500 dollars for a crappy *** flashy true dual system with a big name brand logo on it or get one that out performs and sounds better then this for hundreds less.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My LPP system was $825 for the whole system, headers and x-pipe, made from 321 polished stainless steel (whatever that is).

This system is $1500 without the headers. However, I would still consider purchasing it because it looks beautifully designed, and it's the ONLY full 3", true dual, over the axle, bolt-on exhaust for LS1 f-bodies. It would eliminate a lot of the cabin noise I have due to my dumped setup, and it looks like it would tuck up even better. It's a beautiful exhaust system and if I had the coin I'd switch over to Kooks long tubes and this true dual system.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Wow did anyone notice that ugly A** Hood on that TA.. All I can say is TRASH.!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at all the haters coming out of the woodwork. Just as I suspected...the internet delivers yet again.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blownws6_nc
I talked to the guy at Kooks that owns the car in the video, It has the polluter cam from tick performance with a good set of heads. I went ahead and placed a pre order with him, so hopefully in 2 weeks, I'll have it. I love my powerflo, but I have always wanted true duals like this, so I'm in.
I throught it was a stock car with only kooks exhaust , not bad i also ordered for my bird .

but here's questions that should answered, my car has BMR's suspension without the panhard relocation kit , what of suspension parts i need to complete the installation without issues ?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
AMEN...I just didn't want to be the first to say it. A local shop here has done hundreds of exhaust systems on 98-02 F-Bodys and Vettes locally since 1998. 100% custom SS stuff. His systems are all top quality stuff and look MUCH cleaner with less bends, and will outflow this new Kooks system........$1,000 complete.

Funny. But there will always be the suckers that will pay for a name brand.

Can this Kooks system be used with an aftermarket, cross member mounted TQ arm?????

Does the local shop jig build them and sell them across the US? Driving to Florida isn't exactly an option for everyone who wants a nice set of stainless duals routed out the back. And without bench numbers, how do you know what either setup flows?

I don't see any reason it couldn't be used with a trans crossmember-mounted torque arm; a chassis-mount would probably be an issue.

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
So...how many other companies are designing new product for these cars? Last I saw the only real new product is Chinese knock off stuff.

Most stainless, true dual catback exhausts for any newer car run $1000+. And this is the good stainless, 304, not 409. When you consider that this also includes cats and is actually made in the US, I think the price is right. The price won't be for everyone, and if you don't want to spend it, then don't. However I don't see a need to get your boxers in a wad and get all down on the product. More choices and new products are good even if not everyone wants to spend that kind of money.

FWIW, anyone looking for these systems, we have 5 coming in soon. Contact us @ 443-730-9428 for special group buy pricing.
I don't like the sound and think it costs too much ($2000 for headers and the non-catted system would be a bit better), but I'm not going to call the system a piece of **** and trash on Kooks for not putting their setup out earlier - the fact that they're bringing it out now shows there's still a lot of demand for aftermarket parts for these cars. If people only ran "OG company" stuff, we'd all have SLP headers and Loudmouth systems

Originally Posted by WARP211
Wow did anyone notice that ugly A** Hood on that TA.. All I can say is TRASH.!!!
...and that's got what to do with this thread?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to heavy for me, i like just a y-pipe.....
Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by philsblwnz28
But you don't even know how much it weighs...
Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
But you don't even know how much it weighs...
Its gotta weigh double what a Y-pipe setup does. Its a nice exhaust & should last a very long time, real nice if you got their headers. You can see it hangs down quite a bit with that bracket that goes under it. Not $1500 worth it to me.

Originally Posted by philsblwnz28
Same here. Lighter & it still sounds very good.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

I might look into this down the road. Looks like a nice system and glad to see something new for the older gen cars.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These two sentences pretty much sum up your entire post...

mine is straight back off the headers to x-pipe just behind the tranny, striaght back under axle to the tips. WAY less bends and way better flowing then this over priced POS system.
Let's break it down...

mine is straight back off the headers to x-pipe just behind the tranny, striaght back under axle to the tips.
You're kidding right? Under the axle? Can't see any issue with that...

WAY less bends and way better flowing then this over priced POS system.
Where do we start with this one....

"WAY less bends?" How many? Let me guess...it was cheaper to go under?
"...way better flowing?" Show us the bench flow data...
"...this over priced POS system." I have a feeling based on your analytical evaluation and unbiased opinion, it won't be too difficult in really determining who owns the POS.

I'm glad Element captured most of what the "Internet Experts" forget when they can't get what they want...

Jig fixured = dimensionally correct and repeatable.
Demand = healthy aftermarket industry = variety.

Would I buy one...maybe, but I'm content with mine. I'm sure the majority won't (hopefully can't) argue the quality will be there. Seems a little steep out of the gate, but how many times have we seen prices drop on account of decline in demand or market saturation of similar components? If you can't afford it...or justify the expense, call "Billy Bob's House of Pipes" and bend yourselves a sweet aluminized rig and move on
Old 10-15-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

So i'm guessing with the needed suspension upgrades, this wouldn't work on a convertible?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can we get some pics from the side mounted on a car while on the ground, showing exactly how much clearance there is? This sytem looks great, as long as you don't end up with like 2" of ground clearance! It amazes me that there was a ****-load of people asking, hell...begging for a mail-order over-the-axle true dual exhaust and now its here and its got all the right ****, cats/no-cats (your choice), REAL 304 SS not shitty 409!

I love the guys out there that say...oh look at My true-dual exhaust it was MUCH cheaper then your $1000+ exhaust! Well yeah, it should be, its nothing but straight pipe and goes under the axle, hell, I could build that in my garage! I am certainly not impressed with a hillbilly exhaust that is underneath the axle!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LPE 403
These two sentences pretty much sum up your entire post...

Let's break it down...

You're kidding right? Under the axle? Can't see any issue with that...

Where do we start with this one....

"WAY less bends?" How many? Let me guess...it was cheaper to go under?
"...way better flowing?" Show us the bench flow data...
"...this over priced POS system." I have a feeling based on your analytical evaluation and unbiased opinion, it won't be too difficult in really determining who owns the POS.

I'm glad Element captured most of what the "Internet Experts" forget when they can't get what they want...

Jig fixured = dimensionally correct and repeatable.
Demand = healthy aftermarket industry = variety.

Would I buy one...maybe, but I'm content with mine. I'm sure the majority won't (hopefully can't) argue the quality will be there. Seems a little steep out of the gate, but how many times have we seen prices drop on account of decline in demand or market saturation of similar components? If you can't afford it...or justify the expense, call "Billy Bob's House of Pipes" and bend yourselves a sweet aluminized rig and move on
Old 10-15-2010, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

I truly appreciate Kooks going to the time and expense to design this system, especially for a car that production stopped almost 10 years ago. It shows that our cars are still popular and I really like the system.

This would be perfect for the guy that hasn't bought headers yet, but wanted Kooks anyways and also needed a quality catback system. The price is high, but you get what you pay for. The only drawback to me might be the clearance issue. ***I second the request for a ground clearance shot to see how bad this might be around speed bumps and steeply angled driveways. If it looks good, then I might purchase.***

Also, in regards to price, I've convinced the wife that buying cool parts for my old car is still better than spending $40K on a Challenger/Mustang 5.0/Used C6. The price is still less than I'd be putting down for a downpayment, so I'm justified!! Now, if I can only convince her to buy it for me for Christmas!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My GRottyohann headers are rusting out; therefore, I would need some new headers anyway. I puchased a used SLP DD because there were a lot of people saying it sounded really good with long tubes and no cats...I'm not that impressed though! I got a quote over the phone from Stainless Works, starting at $1200.00 and "will most likely more"
Old 10-15-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can buy LPP's stainless steel true duals for $400 shipped.........................you have to be stock height for you not to scrape but it's a stainless steel true dual system. It is very possible to have a custom system fabbed up for you for under $500, especially if you know the right people.
LPP true duals are dumped before the axle..Dont compare apples to oranges guys. And they barely have mufflers on them..Just some type of resonaors.
I am not hating on LPP..I have their stainless long tubes on my Trans Am and I am happy with them..

Quick Reply: Kooks released new exhaust for f-body