Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you safely weld headers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

This is actually a very common problem. Those primaries get very, very hot right there. I had an air tube weld crack on a set of steel Hedman headers also. My fix was to pull the header off, take a thin piece of sheet metal about 2x2 inches, add the right curve to it, then tig weld it over the hole. Kind of like a patch. It worked great until I sold them. This is the fix I would recommend for this type of problem.

Also, I honestly don't blame the header makers simply bc they cannot control physics. Only guaranteed fix to prevent this would be to make the headers out of a metal too expensive for anyone in their right mind
Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My uncoated rusty *** pacesetters have been on my car rain and shine in MD for snow season and by the beach in NC during the summer and now in FL by the water and my Air/EGR tubes are as solid as the day they were made.

I do not know about Kooks but I have never heard of this happening with pacesetters I could be wrong but my 6 year old headers don't lie either. They have close to 45k mikes on them and 6 years of driving. If it were me I would be pissed off after shelling out almost a grand for headers and y for this to happen.

Quick Reply: Can you safely weld headers?