Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver exhaust questions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Daily Driver exhaust questions!

Hey guys. Lookin into finishing my exhaust. I need something that I COULD take to get smogged, specialty shop is alright, and will make the most power. I was thinking of pacesetter longtubes and a catted y? I have the GMMG cat back right now and want to do headers/y-pipe. Reccomendations? Advice? Anything appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced my rusted out Hookers/ORY with Ebay longtubes and a TSP catted Y, it's a really nice setup, I would highly recommend it for the price
Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Teching In

I have American Racing headers, their catted Y through a hooker catback. Flows great, sounds great, and it passes the sniffer. Make sure you get a true Y. You could always go custom with a Flowmaster 2-1 merge, magnaflow metallic cats. Regardless of your choice, pay attention to how the 'Y' is merged. If it looks like one pipe shoved into another and welded, it is, and will sound and flow like **** compared to the quality stuff.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Teching In

I dont think PS LT's pass smog IIRC. But I live in FL, where there are no smog checks, so im not 100% sure.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SleeperD
I have American Racing headers, their catted Y through a hooker catback. Flows great, sounds great, and it passes the sniffer. Make sure you get a true Y. You could always go custom with a Flowmaster 2-1 merge, magnaflow metallic cats. Regardless of your choice, pay attention to how the 'Y' is merged. If it looks like one pipe shoved into another and welded, it is, and will sound and flow like **** compared to the quality stuff.
I have a identical set up just with qtp headers. No rasp at all very nice deep rumble. When you get on it has a nice bark, but not to much attention from the law. Whichever you do go stainless and be done with it once.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Where I live they also do "smog checks"

They do a "visual" and then hook up to my OBD and scan. As long as you dont have any check engine lights, you pass.

I have LTs, ORY and Borla. No AIR, no EGR.

Depends on what they check for. Do they actually sniff or do they just scan? Find out first and then decide.
Seeing as how your in the Republik of Commyformia, you might be fucked :/ I've heard you can't even pass with headers in some places
Old 11-01-2010, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

I
Originally Posted by 1Psycho
Hey guys. Lookin into finishing my exhaust. I need something that I COULD take to get smogged, specialty shop is alright, and will make the most power. I was thinking of pacesetter longtubes and a catted y? I have the GMMG cat back right now and want to do headers/y-pipe. Reccomendations? Advice? Anything appreciated. Thanks!
No LT on the market will pass visual in CA, not even with cats. Best thing to do is find somebody that knows somebody and youll be good for sure.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
I

No LT on the market will pass visual in CA, not even with cats. Best thing to do is find somebody that knows somebody and youll be good for sure.
haha you beat me to it. yea finding 'a smog guy' would be your best bet. but 400 bucks is expensive. or you could get longtubes with the correct AIR and EGR fittings on them so they stay functioning and swap them for your exhaust manifolds every two years. whatever you do get a catless y pipe cuz they are illegal if they have cats anyways since they are moved from stock location.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
I just replaced my rusted out Hookers/ORY with Ebay longtubes and a TSP catted Y, it's a really nice setup, I would highly recommend it for the price
I've heard the ebay headers/tsp catted y is a popular set up. What kind of power are you making to the wheels with it?

Originally Posted by SleeperD
It still passes in CA? I've heard a bunch of people tell me that no matter what, a cat back is the only thing thats gonna pass without knowing somebody. Thanks for the Y pipe info too.

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
haha you beat me to it. yea finding 'a smog guy' would be your best bet. but 400 bucks is expensive. or you could get longtubes with the correct AIR and EGR fittings on them so they stay functioning and swap them for your exhaust manifolds every two years. whatever you do get a catless y pipe cuz they are illegal if they have cats anyways since they are moved from stock location.
$400 is a little expensive, hopefully I can find someone for a little less. Haha, like you said, even if a catted Y is illegal, might as well go all out since it'll be illegal no matter what. I still have a year and a half left 'till I gotta go to the sniffer again so it's a little ways away.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

And anywhere I can find hooker headers for a couple hundred bucks? I'm on a budget but love the hookers and dont wanna shell out 8 bills for em...
Old 11-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

From what I can tell pacesetter seems to be the way to go interms of price... and I hear they are decent quality too...
Old 11-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

I got mine from byunspeed

It was a good expereience, but Im sure any of the sponsors on here will help you out..

PS: Look for one of them running a special!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GMCBURBAN
I got mine from byunspeed

It was a good expereience, but Im sure any of the sponsors on here will help you out..

PS: Look for one of them running a special!

Sweet! Thanks..look like they have great pricing. Whats the difference between ceramic coated and black painted headers though? I notice that ceramics cost like $120 more..is it worth it?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

Sweet! Thanks..look like they have great pricing. Whats the difference between ceramic coated and black painted headers though? I notice that ceramics cost like $120 more..is it worth it?
ceramic coating looks nicer and keeps under hood temps down a lil more. from what a buddy told me his painted pacesetters started chipping off the paint after they had heated up overtime. if you are gonna have the car 'smoged' than just delete ur EGR and AIR and get a set of TSP 1 7/8 long tubes.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

ceramic coating looks nicer and keeps under hood temps down a lil more. from what a buddy told me his painted pacesetters started chipping off the paint after they had heated up overtime. if you are gonna have the car 'smoged' than just delete ur EGR and AIR and get a set of TSP 1 7/8 long tubes.
Could I get the painted ones and go over em in a coat or two of high temp paint? The sniffers a year and a half away so it's not too big of a deal, I'll probably just throw the stocks back on for an hour, take it over, smog it, and throw it back on. Would a cat back with a cam pass a basic sniffer though or would I still need to go to a shop that will ''test'' it?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Could I get the painted ones and go over em in a coat or two of high temp paint? The sniffers a year and a half away so it's not too big of a deal, I'll probably just throw the stocks back on for an hour, take it over, smog it, and throw it back on. Would a cat back with a cam pass a basic sniffer though or would I still need to go to a shop that will ''test'' it?
not sure about the paint thing but you can try it. and yes a cam and a catback will pass if you have your stock manifolds on and stock y pipe. but your limited to cam selection. no more than -4* of overlap. so -4* -5* -6* and so on will pass.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

not sure about the paint thing but you can try it. and yes a cam and a catback will pass if you have your stock manifolds on and stock y pipe. but your limited to cam selection. no more than -4* of overlap. so -4* -5* -6* and so on will pass.
Alright, thanks. So if I go with a bigger cam could I take it to a specialized shop and would it "smog" or would I be stuck putting the stock cam back in because anything over -4* wont pass any sort of "smog"?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Alright, thanks. So if I go with a bigger cam could I take it to a specialized shop and would it "smog" or would I be stuck putting the stock cam back in because anything over -4* wont pass any sort of "smog"?

if your gonna have your car smogged illegally your car will never have to go to a smog shop. and if you find someone to do it illegally all they will need is your dmv paperwork to scan and cash. but if you ever get pulled over by chp or something and they send you to a ref station your car will not pass the sniffer if you have a cam that has more than -4* of overlap even with ALL your stock exhaust stuff and smog equipment hooked up. now if you had a cam like the 224r or the 222/226 114lsa EPS cam or something like that it TECHNICALLY would pass the sniffer test LEGALY with all of your STOCK exhaust stuff on. than after your test throw the longtubes back on. and you can make 400+ rwhp with both of those cams with a set of STOCK 243 heads and longtubes.