Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004 | 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

great thread. based on what i've read i'm going with GReddy. I like the Accurate Machines' design but what's the price and hose size.
Old 02-24-2004 | 06:28 PM
Restricted User

Well I will pm you with some information. But from what I have seen, the Accurate can has the 3 main thing covered where as the greddy is questionable.
1. Accurate has baffling - Greddy does not
2. Accurate has lines in the cylinder to keep oil from climbing the walls - Greddy does not
3. Accurate has a drain plug - Greddy does not.

You decide. I would ask that you call the shop or email them. Todd will be happy to answer any questions.
Old 02-24-2004 | 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlackHawk131
Well I will pm you with some information. But from what I have seen, the Accurate can has the 3 main thing covered where as the greddy is questionable.
1. Accurate has baffling - Greddy does not
2. Accurate has lines in the cylinder to keep oil from climbing the walls - Greddy does not
3. Accurate has a drain plug - Greddy does not.

You decide. I would ask that you call the shop or email them. Todd will be happy to answer any questions.
if price is right...i will cancel my Greddy and buy Accurate Machines dude (it's kinda of funny when an old fart like me says "dude"), find a job in sales and retire early

BTW, Greddy uses a 15 mm hose (i like)...what's Accurate Machines' hose size. Currently, I have some ricer catch can that's maybe 3 mm at the smallest point of the intake/outlet connectors...which means not enough air flow to blow out a candle. size does matter

Last edited by hugger427; 02-24-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2004 | 07:41 PM

It was said earlier that there nothing in the Greddy can but 4 walls..... I like the pics of the Accurate can. Can I get a price and place to get this? PM if need be
Old 02-24-2004 | 09:29 PM
dug
Banned

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
http://www.villier.net/kyfbody/videos/chrismdyno.wmv

take a look at this, do think its oil consumption? I had it looked at by brent at TEA, i have done a leak down test and compression tests, and its all good, but after going to WOT, and then ;etting off, it does this ****. Keep in mind that this was while the car was about 1 point too lean, but I had it tunned, but the smoke keeps comming. Some folks have told me that its just the way some LS1,s are. But i only loose about 1/4-1/2 a quart every oil change, so maybe the can will fix it.

Guys, tell me what you think
The video sums up my car. The last time at the track if I slowed down at the end with the car in gear thered be all kinds of smoke. So much that the guy int the ticket booth thought the motor blew up. Luckily I was runnin race gas. I wonder how much oil was being drawn in between the shifts.

My car burnd lots of oil since Ive ownd it. When I swapped the intake there was all kinds of oil drippin out of the old intake and in the ports. It was ridiculous. I think headers make the problem worse by scavenging the intake gases. Increasing the suck on the pcv. Also drivin styles affects oil consumption from the pcv. Cruisin around just above idle probably minimizes it whereas cruizin around at 2000rpms makes it worse. This is probably why cams make it worse. They cruise smoother at higher rpms than stock.

Anyways heres a link to instructions of building a catch can by Nine Ball.

http://divetx.org/ls1info/article.php?sid=273

Im gonna make this and put it on this weekend. Hopefully this solves the oil burnin problem.

Yeah, oil in the combustion chamber is very bad because it lowers the octane ratin of fuel. If you think you have this problem and dont fix it you should probably run race gas when racing..
Old 02-24-2004 | 10:53 PM
Restricted User

First off the video shows a car with ring problems not a pcv issue. That is way to much oil to be pcv. The rings were for sure bad on the piston. This could be the problem with you car. Sounds like you need to do a compression test on each cylinder.

This is a cheap can that nine ball is showing, but I would much rather have a can that looks good, stock and yet is functionally better. This can will not take a lot of pressure as the accurate machines can.

You guys keep saying that headers CAUSE the problem. A PCV system use the motors vacuum to pull air out of the crankcase. With headers, you have a more volume through rpms therefor pulling more air. More air flow will pic more moisture. The problem still is not headers, but the pcv system and how it draws air.

Grant
Old 02-24-2004 | 10:56 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by hugger427
great thread. based on what i've read i'm going with GReddy. I like the Accurate Machines' design but what's the price and hose size.
Hugger,

I will tell you that the hose size is plenty on this setup. I can pull the hose off and you could use it as a vaccum cleaner.

Last edited by BlackHawk131; 02-25-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2004 | 05:08 AM
Launching!

So where is the Accurate Machine's part available ?
Old 02-25-2004 | 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I ordered my GReddy the sales person on the phone did not answer most of my questions regarding this product...no surprise when dealing with these big parts warehouses. But when I called Accurate Machines...I talked to Todd, a car nut, and the guy who designed and manufactures them.

That said, I was very impressed with the time he spent answering my questions. Additionally, he is willing to modify my can with larger connectors to accomadate a bigger hose...AT NO CHARGE. Is this a dream, if so don't wake me up.

As far as sponsoring this board, he is working with sponsors to sell this product.

Thanks Grant for the comparo
Old 02-25-2004 | 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hugger427
When I ordered my GReddy the sales person on the phone did not answer most of my questions regarding this product...no surprise when dealing with these big parts warehouses. But when I called Accurate Machines...I talked to Todd, a car nut, and the guy who designed and manufactures them.

That said, I was very impressed with the time he spent answering my questions. Additionally, he is willing to modify my can with larger connectors to accomadate a bigger hose...AT NO CHARGE. Is this a dream, if so don't wake me up.

As far as sponsoring this board, he is working with sponsors to sell this product.

Thanks Grant for the comparo

I AGREE!
Also new hose connectors to match can and not the brass ones .
Sounds like the catch can of choice.
I have one ordered and he said as soon as the new connectors are out he will send them to his customers.
Great service........
Old 03-06-2004 | 11:49 PM
Restricted User

So, how is everyone's can working????

We can all say " " to Todd!!

Old 03-07-2004 | 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Here is a pick of my setup real quick..... works like a charm....
Attached Thumbnails PCV Oil Catch Can-dscf0154.jpg  
Old 03-07-2004 | 08:21 AM

I have to say this for Todd.... He is very helpful and answers all your questions. I have emailed him alot and he always gets right back to me. His cans are an awesome design and many colors to boot! Im ordering mine today!
Old 03-07-2004 | 08:35 AM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

I ordered it in Black - it looks completely stock!! I like it, this year and more driving will tell. Highly recommended.
Old 03-07-2004 | 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I cancelled my Greedy order and went with the Accurate Machines Can. Todd has been great. He answered all my questions and my can was shipped the day I sent him the paypal. My can is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I plan on installing it next weekend.
-Mike
Old 03-08-2004 | 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is a very well made can. well worth the money from a quality/funtional standpoint there's nothing close that i've seen. Like wise i cancelled my GRaddy for the the AMC and glad i did
Old 03-08-2004 | 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 67pete
So where is the Accurate Machine's part available ?
Yea like he said, where can I find one and will one of you that ordered one either e-mail or pm me the info.
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2004 | 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

I have a home made catch can.It cost around 18-25 bucks to make and most parts can be found at local hardware store.It is small and works great. The problem with using the paint can is that the paint can can't take the pressure of the pvc system.The pressure can crash the paint can.You can check my set up at www.govettego.com This is not my web site this is just where I saw the mod so I take no credit for coming up for the idea.
Old 03-08-2004 | 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokin' joe 00 ss
Yea like he said, where can I find one and will one of you that ordered one either e-mail or pm me the info.
Thanks!
I bought my Accurate Machine Works catch can from Grant, here's his e-mail: bmrfirehawk@verizon.net

I received it very fast after I sent the PayPal payment to him. IMHO, the best can out there!
Old 03-08-2004 | 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

I just got my catch can. This thing is very well built. There is no way this can could collapse from the pressure. I have heard some stories of cheaper cans collapsing. I like the baffle and the groves on the sides to keep the oil from climbing the walls. The drain petcock is a nice feature as well. I can't wait to install this on the weekend! I had placed an order for a Greedy and decided to cancel that order to get the Accurate Machines Can and I'm very happy I did. Todd was great and responded to emails quickly. Thanks to BlackHawk131 for pointing me towards Todd!!
-Mike

Quick Reply: PCV Oil Catch Can