Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug gap????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug gap????

I own a 2000 LS1 Trans AM. I am about to put the following bolt ons on this car. I already have true duals with an X-pipe and am adding these:

Pacesetter Ceramic LT's
Magnaflow Hi-flow cats rated up to 6.2L
MSD plug wires
NGK TR55 plugs
SLP lid
3x3 Fernco Coupling (smooth bellow substitute)
Ported TB from WS6nJAX
Bosch 13111 O2's for upstream

Followed by a DYNO

With this being said, what should my gap be on my plugs?!?!? I don't want to start this project til I have all the info I need. Already have writeups off of here for header install and so forth and this site is great so I am looking to you guys again for help!! Thanks alotand I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would probably run 0.040 in your application simply because that is the recommendation for the stock NGK plug for the car. I do not know GM's original recommendation.

As a practical matter any gap is a trade off. A larger gap gives a fatter spark, while a narrower gap is more likely to actually fire and therefore less likely to misfire.

If you were racing you would presumably run the largest gap that did not cause misfiring during the course of a single race. The maximum practical gap being about 0.060" (You would also run the coldest plug that did not foul.) Conversely, if you did exclusively long distance touring you would run the narrow gap (.040") to avoid frequent maintenance.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkman
I would probably run 0.040 in your application simply because that is the recommendation for the stock NGK plug for the car. I do not know GM's original recommendation.

As a practical matter any gap is a trade off. A larger gap gives a fatter spark, while a narrower gap is more likely to actually fire and therefore less likely to misfire.

If you were racing you would presumably run the largest gap that did not cause misfiring during the course of a single race. The maximum practical gap being about 0.060" (You would also run the coldest plug that did not foul.) Conversely, if you did exclusively long distance touring you would run the narrow gap (.040") to avoid frequent maintenance.
I don't race this car. It's my baby. Don't get me wrong, if I'm at a light and some punk pulls up next to me I get down on her, but other than that just cruise her every now and again. Otherwise she is parked under a nice cover!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything else being stock, heads/cam you can run .050". Good to see that you're adding long tubes. IMO, Long tube headers should always be the first mod. You'll get a lot of differing opinions on the gap. Just run the largest gap possible that doesn't miss. I run .046" w/ a lot more mods & power on NGK TR55's without issue.

Quick Reply: Spark plug gap????