Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops got the Dump....need pipes. (ls1)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cops got the Dump....need pipes. (ls1)

Got pulled over and cop says that the car was too loud. Popped my hood and actually went down to check my exhaust... says I have mods....but he will let the engine compartment go because it wasn't crazy. (Lid, Fuel Rail, Strut bar were visible) but because I had no Exhaust pipes (tips and tail pips) he gave me a ticket....grrr... my question is where can I purchase just the pipes? Y-pipe to muffler dumped so I need to get the full pipes..and what would the range be (Shop)?
Old 01-12-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Move out of ****-ville. California sucks *****.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree cali is way to strict and other states are catching on,so glad I don't live there,go to a exhaust shop ,you could always buy a lm1,or lm2 catback used there pretty cheap I sold one for 160,still have another one,but you could just have a exhaust shop run one pipe over the axel and dump it,should be pretty cheap and I think it would sound better
Old 01-12-2011, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

exhaust shops out here are getting shady...went to a few here in stockton and they wanted somewhere in the 2-400 range for the piping because it has to be custom bent... really?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

and yes CA does suck...but its my home. Should have kept the LM1 pipes FML!!! but I sold it for 400...so yeah couldn't let that one get away.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What do you have exhaust wise at the moment.

Headers/stock manifolds
catted Y, ORY

You want something dumped after the Y correct?

If so just throw a Borla XR1 with a turndown on the end of your current Y-pipe.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Used cat backs have got to be cheaper than $400 and then at least you would have mandrel bends. Most exhaust shops do not have mandrel benders.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least you only got a modified exhaust ticket... should be just a fix-it. But find someone parting out their camaro and you may be able to buy something off of them to keep cost down.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

JBA Shorties Hi Flow Cat 3" Y pipe Powerstick turned down...its a mod ticket because I didn't have pipes in stock exhaust mounting locations
It was a sheriff in San Joaquin County...strict as a **** gotta go ref and provide proof to the court...
Old 01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn this state....
Old 01-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Captain Double Post

Yeah I just saw a used hooker catback go for 200 shipped,pretty cheap as there are a few other,your better off looking for a lm1 and just running your power stick on that
Old 01-12-2011, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Yeah the idea is to run something like the LM1 or TSP Rumbler. Since I have the powerstick....bah...idk didn't wanna buy another catback but it looks liike that'll be the case
Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Was it a city cop or was it CHP...?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

(whaa your pollluting the air) (f the man) our country is becoming a dictatorship
Old 01-12-2011, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

it was a SJC Sheriff....
Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

There are some reasonable NEW catbacks out there. Hooker is one and the Jegs catback ($250) is another. If you hate the sound, you could always swap just the muffler later and still keep all the piping that came with it.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Teching In

glad that texas cops just park on a freeway and wait for speeders and not go lookging for this stuff.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

yeah I'll be looking into the hookers system and keeping an eye out for a used LM1 LM2...do you guys think the Pypes piping system will have enough bends and curves to maybe get it to fit ? I know they made pre-bent pipes.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd go with something you know will work for sure. You could always just hang some "fake" tips that look like you have an exhaust/muffler in the back like stock but still keep urs now. Id add a resonator though to smooth things out and kill the rasp/drown, that may be just enough to keep them away.
Yeah TX has a lot of troopers on the highway handing out tickets without even talking to you first (had it happen to me twice ) At least up here in MI they give you a chance to say "well uhh see here officer, this well thing happened and caused me to need to go 90mph instead of 70, i swear it wasnt my fault...." haha but then again, going 20+ over the speed limit really bears no excuse so I could see why they dont even bother listening to your BS.

How come all the Hot Rod car shows on TV build the cars in CA and then you see them driving around town when obviously the car is not state legal? Do they just pray no ******* cop who really wants to make someones day pulls them over for "testing the car out"? Just curious as I know there are a lot of performance shops out there but why when you cant even drive the car on the street? (I understand for track only cars but that only accounts for a certain % of sales).
Sorry for the rant, good luck with the exhaust. The magnaflow is very cheap for it being completely stainless, and its shiney too. Its prob one of the more quiet setups but still flows extremely well if you really want to quiet things down. The hooker is a little bit louder for sure.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

Nice gesture I'll look into it

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
I'd go with something you know will work for sure. You could always just hang some "fake" tips that look like you have an exhaust/muffler in the back like stock but still keep urs now. Id add a resonator though to smooth things out and kill the rasp/drown, that may be just enough to keep them away.
Yeah TX has a lot of troopers on the highway handing out tickets without even talking to you first (had it happen to me twice ) At least up here in MI they give you a chance to say "well uhh see here officer, this well thing happened and caused me to need to go 90mph instead of 70, i swear it wasnt my fault...." haha but then again, going 20+ over the speed limit really bears no excuse so I could see why they dont even bother listening to your BS.

How come all the Hot Rod car shows on TV build the cars in CA and then you see them driving around town when obviously the car is not state legal? Do they just pray no ******* cop who really wants to make someones day pulls them over for "testing the car out"? Just curious as I know there are a lot of performance shops out there but why when you cant even drive the car on the street? (I understand for track only cars but that only accounts for a certain % of sales).
Sorry for the rant, good luck with the exhaust. The magnaflow is very cheap for it being completely stainless, and its shiney too. Its prob one of the more quiet setups but still flows extremely well if you really want to quiet things down. The hooker is a little bit louder for sure.

Quick Reply: Cops got the Dump....need pipes. (ls1)