Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so i bought a weiand manifold at the swapmeet...got an idea.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i bought a weiand manifold at the swapmeet...got an idea.

i went to the swapmeet this morning and got my self a weiand intake manifold. One small issue with it, the throttle body flange was cut off and it had a small s tube tack welded to it. It looks like they did it for clearance. So i cut the tacks and pulled the s tube off. Now i have the manifold and flange. My question, would i gain any low end tq if i would add a 2" tube in between the throttle flange and manifold? if its a waste of time ill just get it welded back to the original spot. Any input would be great.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

weld the stock flange back on,a smaller tube would restrict air flow killing power.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Think he means a 2" length of tubing, not diameter

You wont notice any different by adding a little tube. 25.1ci of plenum volume is minor. Throttle body spacers dont work for port injected manifolds like they did for TBI/carb apps. It would however be a great place to install nitrous bars and related
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed, weld it back on, no tube extension. If you want to improve its' performance open it up to a larger intake diameter. I think I remember that mine was able to be opened up to as much as 88mm. It was a few years ago, but, think that's correct. It will reduce the pressure drop into the plenum @ high RPM WOT. This will improve peak HP & under curve HP & TQ. I realize that the question was related specifically to torque & the torque idea wasn't gonna work out. So, thought an increased HP mod may be helpful. I have measured the gains in airflow & manifold pressure before & after the increase in inlet size. It is a worthy mod.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

word, i think itd be good opening out the tb, and if you have some $ have it ported (but garage-port-jobs arent worth it)