Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which intake
LS6
58.97%
BBK
25.64%
Other?
15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Trying to find the right intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
that will change one day or it will take a very long time to mod your car.
ehh i dont plan on building a race car. prob just another full bolt on ls1
Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ye I told myself that for a long time but some of us just can't stop !But for real there are alot of good deals on good used parts here !
Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people who says BBk is no good bases thier facts and info on what everyone else saying about it do the research BBk will give you a few more horses than an Ls6 but if you already have an LS6 intake then dont waste your money,but if you have a stock intake then get the BBK you pick up power and get the "non stock" look you were looking for, I have a BBK and its a proven performer Ive been coming to this site for years,decided to become a member a few years ago I rarely post because of the negative feedback but anyways in my opinion BBK is for the money the best value.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Not sure if your question was answered...

Yes, you can use the stock TB on an LS6

-Will
Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MYSTIC-1SC
You can pick up the LS6 used in good shape for 300-325 all day. Check out the classifieds. If all your considering is this or the BBK, I say go with the LS6. If your concerned about its stock look, smooth and paint it to match your car.
Agreed on both points.

I purchased mine used on this site and someday, when I'm trying to squeeze out every bit of power, I'll eventually sell it on here and purchase a used FAST Setup that I find on here.

If you're looking to get away from the factory looking manifold, do as MYSTIC suggested. Have your LS6 painted.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't believe people still think the BBK intake's metal is a problem.. Cars have been using metal intake manifolds for a long time. Why do people go with the Vic Jr? It's metal. (Someone please dont answer that, it's sarcasm). It's funny people suddenly despised metal intakes once the LS1's came out.

The BBK has proven to have a slight bump in power over the LS6 intake. If coming from an LS1 intake, the BBK is a great choice because it's just slightly more expensive than a used LS6 intake manifold. But if you already have an LS6 intake manifold, save your money, you won't get much. PLUS the BBK can use a larger TB.

Some people complain about weight, but there's no way you're going to actually notice your car is heavier, especially when it's flowing more. It weighs about 15lbs more than stock.

Also, how would air that is being forced into the intake manifold suddenly become less dense inside the manifold? I don't think that oxygen inside is going to just disappear. The cold air outside the throttle body is what matters. Plus you still have a metal TB, heads, and block...

Bottom line: don't follow the lame metal heatsoak intake theory. It's shown gains over the LS6. But stands still compared to the FAST intakes.

Last edited by HoLLo; 01-20-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

x100000 on everything hollo and odawg have said. there has been lots of dynos proving the bbk intake better than the ls6. i accidentally voted ls6 on the poll but i ment to vote for bbk. look up the dyno graphs back to back that studderin did on this site for the bbk, ls6, and fast. i know im going bbk now.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

I read an article on here where some guy tested like five different intakes. I believe he said the bbk was alittle better than the ls6.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its stupid you won't buy a used ls6 intake. The only thing different from a new intake to the used intake will be a film of oil which you will immediately have after 5 mins of driving. So if you want to waste another $300 on the new ls6 intake go for it. If your going to spend $600 you might as well buy a FAST.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
I think its stupid you won't buy a used ls6 intake. The only thing different from a new intake to the used intake will be a film of oil which you will immediately have after 5 mins of driving. So if you want to waste another $300 on the new ls6 intake go for it. If your going to spend $600 you might as well buy a FAST.
^ What he said.

The term "pissing away money" comes to mind. But if you really want to pay double for it that's your business.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

my friend has a bbk says its the worse thing he ever did. It soaks up to much heat. go ls6 or the fast best ones out there.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
^ What he said.

The term "pissing away money" comes to mind. But if you really want to pay double for it that's your business.
Your right. I just dont like buying used car parts from people I dont know.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Default BBK SSI is stronger than LS6 but costs a little more

The BBK puts out more torque and HP thru out the entire power band then the LS6. Yet it only costs a little more than a used LS6. I personally am going turbo and need a car intake. So the best bang for the buck is the BBK SSI. The difference between the BBK and fast is the fast is a little stronger in the upper RPM range but not a tremendous amount (it actually looses a little bit on the low end). To me the fast's slight advantage at high rpm (and loss at low RPM) does not justify the expensive price difference because I can just adjust the waste gate slightly to more than make up for the difference. There have been many dyno tests showing the BBK SSI beating the LS6 thru out the entire power band. And the fast slightly beating the BBK SSI in the upper RPM range, yet loosing in the lower RPM range. See "DYNO PROVEN GM LS1 THRU LS7 PERFORMANCE PARTS" by Richard Holdener. Holdener himself calls the BBK SSI intake a "serious contender against the fast intake" after running multiple comparison dyno tests on the same motor. I trust the dyno testing of the BBK SSI vs LS6 vs fast. Not emotional opinions on the LS6's slight, or fast's tremendous superiority. And the fallacious heat soak arguement is bogus.

This is why the entire heat soak arguement is bunk. The LS6 also suffers from heat soak, the BBK aluminum intake does have a little more. Almost every intake in drag racing is made out of aluminum includinig 6 second pro-mod PSCA cars, NHRA top fuel funny cars and rails, and every other fast class (8 seconds or faster in the 1/4). The incoming air passes thru the intake so fast the slight difference in temp is not going to matter. Especially on a boosted motor with intercooling and/or meth injection.

Bang for the buck the BBK SSI beats the LS6 hands down. The fast is good if your staying naturally aspirated and like to burn money for a small advantage in the upper RPM range.

Another thing the LS6 and fast will not stand up to harsh nitrous back fires. The BBK aluminum and other aluminmum manifolds will survive them. So that expensive fast or cheaper LS6 may end up a twisted piece of junk for you nitrous users.

Hpbob1
Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hpbob1
The BBK puts out more torque and HP thru out the entire power band then the LS6. Yet it only costs a little more than a used LS6. I personally am going turbo and need a car intake. So the best bang for the buck is the BBK SSI. The difference between the BBK and fast is the fast is a little stronger in the upper RPM range but not a tremendous amount (it actually looses a little bit on the low end). To me the fast's slight advantage at high rpm (and loss at low RPM) does not justify the expensive price difference because I can just adjust the waste gate slightly to more than make up for the difference. There have been many dyno tests showing the BBK SSI beating the LS6 thru out the entire power band. And the fast slightly beating the BBK SSI in the upper RPM range, yet loosing in the lower RPM range. See "DYNO PROVEN GM LS1 THRU LS7 PERFORMANCE PARTS" by Richard Holdener. Holdener himself calls the BBK SSI intake a "serious contender against the fast intake" after running multiple comparison dyno tests on the same motor. I trust the dyno testing of the BBK SSI vs LS6 vs fast. Not emotional opinions on the LS6's slight, or fast's tremendous superiority. And the fallacious heat soak arguement is bogus.

This is why the entire heat soak arguement is bunk. The LS6 also suffers from heat soak, the BBK aluminum intake does have a little more. Almost every intake in drag racing is made out of aluminum includinig 6 second pro-mod PSCA cars, NHRA top fuel funny cars and rails, and every other fast class (8 seconds or faster in the 1/4). The incoming air passes thru the intake so fast the slight difference in temp is not going to matter. Especially on a boosted motor with intercooling and/or meth injection.

Bang for the buck the BBK SSI beats the LS6 hands down. The fast is good if your staying naturally aspirated and like to burn money for a small advantage in the upper RPM range.

Another thing the LS6 and fast will not stand up to harsh nitrous back fires. The BBK aluminum and other aluminmum manifolds will survive them. So that expensive fast or cheaper LS6 may end up a twisted piece of junk for you nitrous users.

Hpbob1
Thank You. I have been contemplating this for a while and you just helped my decision. BBK it is.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Captain Double Post

Ls6 is the best intake imo,besides the fast,just have it powdercoated,
Old 01-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Captain Double Post

ls6 is the best deal ,300 and works great,I would rather have the stock look of a ls6,than the bbk,I just do not like the way it looks,I think bbk and I just think (mustangs) lol I know that is dumb but that's me I guess lol,but I would never by a intake new,why pay more?you get the same thing,for the price you are gonna pay for a new ls6 ?you can come close to a used fast set up, good luck man I hope what ever you get you like,I'm just rambling
Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

How much. Does it have egr fitting
Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

If you are trying to do it by not spending much, go with the LS6 intake.
SSI is good in the event you backfire. It won't crack. But if you are just gonna run all engine, not needed.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Curious how the TBSS intake and the LS6 intakes stack up?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Go bbk If heat soak was really an issue with them then it would most defantly show up on a dyno as the car has restricted airflow around it. If you were buying a used intake I would say go ls6 but you want new so go bbk!!!!