Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapping headers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wrapping headers?

Im thinking about wrapping my new Kooks. I just got my extended sunoco and im worrying about underhood temps a little more than i should i think. If i wrap the headers it will obviously help with underhood temps and be easier on everythign in there right? I know wrapping kooks in all their beauty is a sin, but if it makes me go faster/safer then so be it
Old 01-21-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to do the same with my Kooks on my 396 project.

Everyone says not to wrap headers, that it will shorten the life of them, but I wrapped some
headers that I had on my old 383 IROC and never had a problem. Prior to them being wrapped **** was melting under the hood.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
but if it makes me go faster/safer then so be it
quantify this with proof, then consider the "sin" part. bet you won't wrap them.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your worried about underhood temps get them coated, don't wrap. You will keep in extra moisture from wrapping during cool down causing your headers to rust faster.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Let’s correct a few myths here.

-Stainless steel headers will not rust or rot if wrapped.

-Wrapped headers will reduce underhood temperatures dramatically.

-Coated only headers will reduce underhood temperatures only slightly.

-Wrapped headers will increase exhaust gas temperatures promoting faster exhaust gas flow which will result in some horsepower gain.

-Higher exhaust gas temperatures will allow the O2 sensors to operate better.

Wrapped headers is a good idea.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 01-21-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The answer may depend on the application - specifically what the headers come close to. For anyone installing headers in a 2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V the case in favor of wrapped headers is compelling. Those with unwrapped headers report heat damaged motor mounts, starters, and wiring harnesses with some frequency. Those with wrapped stainless steel headers do not to seem to have these problems.

Header wrap is not the only answer, of course, since you can always wrap your starter, motor mounts, and various wiring harnesses.

I don't have headers yet, but likely wrap them if I get them.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

OP, what is "extended sunoco"?

I would think that the first goal of aftermarket performance parts is to increase the performance of the car. Looks are secondary and should only be considered if it doesn’t adversely affect the performance gains.

If wrapped headers offer performance gains, so be it. Shiny looking parts don’t win races.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Let’s correct a few myths here.

-Stainless steel headers will not rust or rot if wrapped.

-Wrapped headers will reduce underhood temperatures dramatically.

-Coated only headers will reduce underhood temperatures only slightly.

-Wrapped headers will increase exhaust gas temperatures promoting faster exhaust gas flow which will result in some horsepower gain.

-Higher exhaust gas temperatures will allow the O2 sensors to operate better.

Wrapped headers is a good idea.

What about wrapping ceramic coated headers?

Last edited by ROCNDAV; 01-21-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
OP, what is "extended sunoco"?

I would think that the first goal of aftermarket performance parts is to increase the performance of the car. Looks are secondary and should only be considered if it doesn’t adversely affect the performance gains.

If wrapped headers offer performance gains, so be it. Shiny looking parts don’t win races.

the extended sunoco hood is a 5" cowl that extends to the windshield. Im running for clearance purposes for a victor series manifold and accufab throttle body. I didnt feel like cutting the hell out of my stock hood and a viberglass hood ovver nice weight reduction over the nose
Old 01-22-2011, 08:33 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

AHHH. Thanks. I shoulda known that one.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I trying wrapping my Kooks while they were on the car with poor results. Ended up taking it off. Eventually got them coated which really made a difference in the under hood temps.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
What about wrapping ceramic coated headers?
I've read it's not a great idea. Something about the wrap wearing off the ceramic coating, I think?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I found what I was looking for. It was in response to a question if Jet-Hot coated headers can be wrapped too

Originally Posted by JET-HOT
Can it? Yes... ALTHOUGH it is not something that we recommend or approve of although I have it done on one of my cars. Wrapping a coated header can cause issues so I would to a little research prior to doing so, as well the wrap can cause the coating to breakdown MUCH MUCH sooner than it should as you are unable to car for the coating.

With that said though I do have it done on one of my cars. Even with the coating I was still peeling paint on my hood and finders so I had to do something. This is the part that is NO fun though. Every 2 or 3 months I pull them off and look everything over to make sure I do not have any cracks as well looking for moisture and/or oils that are soaked into the wrap. While I have the wrap off I hit the parts with a little aluminum polish and start that dirty deed of rewrapping the parts. That’s just what I do…. I know of others that never touch there parts again after the coating and wrap and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Wrapping headers?