Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow fitment sucks! (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frost
-edit-
Looking at your first post, it looks like if you would mount your tip hanger then it would push your existing rubber mount out to the side as it did below for us... which is fine.
With the rubber grommet pushed sideways it isn't actually doing anything to hang the catback. You may as well not have that hanger attached at all. When I had my catback hanging this way (by just the tip hanger), I was able to get it looking okay with some adjusting but as soon as I drove the car, the tip would end up slammed against the bumper due to the lack of support at the muffler.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
With the rubber grommet pushed sideways it isn't actually doing anything to hang the catback. You may as well not have that hanger attached at all. When I had my catback hanging this way (by just the tip hanger), I was able to get it looking okay with some adjusting but as soon as I drove the car, the tip would end up slammed against the bumper due to the lack of support at the muffler.
No it still holds the muffler up, even sideways. The muffler's main support should not come from that hanger anyway though. When the passenger's side is up and tight, and it's clamps are too, the muffler should not be able to move:

Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

like I said though.... who knows, there may be some difference in the bottom side of a Camaro.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Actually stock hangers on other vehicles will be in a v shape, in a way to triangulate the mounts and it stabilizes the pipe from vibration. They will not hang straight down but rather constantly pull on each other by hanging at opposing angles. Effectively what that sideways hanger is doing in a weird sort of way.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
like I said though.... who knows, there may be some difference in the bottom side of a Camaro.
I'll admit I am not a master installer by any means, you probably would have had an easier time getting it to fit, but I think it's clear that Magnaflow could have done a much better job getting the hangers to line up. Now that I've cut and bent the hanger myself the catback fits no problem, and the hanger sits in the rubber grommet without pushing it sideways.

Anyway... thank you Steve and also 71novaguy for going out of the way to snap some pics for me, I really appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Since we have some Magnaflow experts in here let me get yall to chew on this. I got a Magnaflow given to me. It was complete except the tail-pipes/tips. I found a member parting his out, so I bought the tail-pipes/tips complete brand new from him. Now the pipes are 2 1/2 but the muffler seems to have 3 inch outlets. Magnaflow doesnt even list that muffler to exist. The tailpipes are super loose going into the muffler. Something isnt right. Thoughts?

And, referencing pictures from Magnaflow's website the tailpipes are correct to an LS1 catback, but all crossflow mufflers are listed as 3 in and 2 1/2 out. This one is 3 inch out/in.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Old thread,...but there still seem to be probs with magnaflow fit and instructions on LS1 cars. I installed (or attempted to) part #16723 on my 98 TA and ran into a few issues. First, the over axle section runs too close to the passenger side and wants to rub on the body heat shield and the panhard bar no matter how it is adjusted. The only way I could get any clearance at all was to push the whole system back about an inch, which made it hard to get the rear quads looking right. No matter what I did, the passenger side was always lower and too far left (driver). I ended up taking a bar and bending up passenger tailpipe hanger way up to get it tolerable. Instructions included are unacceptable for this high end of a product. Made no mention of the tailpipe hangers or how to mount them to the frame. Disappointed...

Last edited by Bigbee; 03-09-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Mine fit absolutely perfect. It's behind a Kooks tubes and cats. Are you stock exhaust otherwise?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Stock exhaust.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine clunks on the upper panhard area and heat shield as well drives me insane . I got so pissed off at the crooked *** tips truck tips that I sawsalled them off last weeked lololol I love the no too look way better. I plan to put on some turn downs on the elbows and paint it all black except the muffler kind of like that one guy did with his magnaflow/mufflex exhaust
Old 03-09-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same difficulty for this car.
My exhaust guy said that Magnaflow NEVER fits like it should.
After some massaging, and a bit of crimping , everything came out ok.
I do like the sound, though.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gMAG
My exhaust guy said that Magnaflow NEVER fits like it should.
Maybe it's just an issue with the f-body's? I recently installed a magnaflow catback on a Dodge Ram for a friend and it fit perfectly. I will be installing an offroad system on my Silverado next week. We'll see how that goes.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^just wanted to be fair and not make a killer statement....I love my Magnaflow exhaust, and knowing 'how it goes', would buy it again.
There haven't been many items in my build that have gone perfectly....except for the FROST TUNE!!

Last edited by gMAG; 03-09-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you post up regarding your fit, please post what exhaust you are running as well. Also, whether or not the car is lowered.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I hate the way my magnaflow fits. One tip is always pointing upwards and it's annoying to adjust it all the time. I read that its only the dual tip version that fits bad and the quad tip is perfect. I love the way it sounds tho so I'll deal with it.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gMAG
^^^just wanted to be fair and not make a killer statement....I love my Magnaflow exhaust, and knowing 'how it goes', would buy it again.
There haven't been many items in my build that have gone perfectly....except for the FROST TUNE!!
The magnaflow system on my Camaro fit like ****, I'm not going to sugar coat it. I had to cut and weld the hangers. Just stating that I've had better experiences with their products on other vehicles.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems to be problems with only the dual tip version cause I had no issues installing mine other than some minor tweaking lining up the quad tips.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

My magnaflow fit fine. Other than the guy I got it from put turn down tips. When I went to put the dual dual tips on he cut the end of the turn downs and put the tips on there. So they aren't straight when looking at the car from the side.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had mines professionally installed, but it bolted up great and sounds perfect, been on the car since early January. I daily drive the car and I ride over some pretty terrible roads at times, hasn't moved an inch from where it's supposed to.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
The magnaflow system on my Camaro fit like ****, I'm not going to sugar coat it. I had to cut and weld the hangers. Just stating that I've had better experiences with their products on other vehicles.
Because I hired an experienced tech to install mine, I didn't have to deal directly with all of these issues. I'd prob feel the same as you, had I installed my own. The tech had everything done in no time, because he knew what to expect.
I'm not happy with the crimping he performed on each of the dual pipes in front of the mufflers. This was a necessary step to make the bends line up, and effectively changes 2 1/2" to a slightly smaller size. Had I been able to anticipate this, I would have purchased 3".
...Magnaflow 'X' pipe-2 1/2" full exhaust sys/true duals/no cats/no lowering

Quick Reply: Magnaflow fitment sucks! (Pics)