Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow fitment sucks! (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mine fit in fine 7 years ago
Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I recently put a magnaflow system on a Formula Firebird (LT1) and it didn't fit perfect either. Installed a chinese copied system jsut like it on a 92 GTA (similar exhaust from cat back) and that one was worse but also a lot cheaper. Normally I build my exhaust systems from scratch with stainless pipe & weld els and will continue to do so after all the fitment issues. Worst was a complete magnaflow system under a 69 mustang 428CJ. It was so bad I had to cut, splice and weld it in multiple locations and had to fabricate most of the exhaust from the axle back since it didn't fit.Also the X pipe was welded like crap, I had to tig all the seams because it was leaking all over the place. I still use their universal mufflers but not the complete systems.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Angry

Spent 5 hours on mine today taking all the hangers off and trying to get better fitment. Just added TSP longtubes and ORY. Be nice if yall could post more pics to see if my hanger setup is correct. My entire setup seems to be too far to the drivers side. The passenger side tips is hitting the bumper cover and the over the axle pipe is hitting the frame. Laying under the car the muffler looks cocked to the RH too. Quad tip sytem here too 16723
Old 04-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW. It's bittersweet to hear all these complaints about the dual tip kit. I have a 2000 SS with BBK long tubes and Y pipe. I had ALL the same issues you guys had. There was a ******* 1/2" gap between the Y and the I pipes, plus Magnaflow made it to fit stock Y pipe so it was 2.75" ID which you cannot use a band clamp on because of the diameter difference. The driver side hanger does not fit the factory grommet nor does the added hanger with the bolt on hanger they give you fit. After hours of ******* with it I had to finally give up and bring it to the shop. He completely cut off that stupid long hanger and welded on a new one. On the passenger side he had to bend the hanger to get it to tuck up to the bumper properly. Also had to take a 3" ID/OD connector and expand it to fit over the 2.75 and weld that on. Now I have a piece of aluminized steel that is going to rust up on my nice new stainless kit . Oh and to top it off, the tips still do not line up properly. Will have to go back there next week for more adjusting. What a friggin joke. You would think Magnaflow actually had the test car there, built the exhaust for it, then created the jig. I'd like to see how that car's exhaust fit

I will say though, the sound is great even with no cats. minimal rasp. quiet at idle, supercar sound at full throttle high rpm.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great. I have a MF catback I bought used last fall, I never got around to installing it. I was thinking it was going to be an easy install, and was going to do it next weekend, but now I'm not looking forward to messing with the hangars and all that.

I hope it fits right. And mine came with all the hardware at least....all the clamps and those black hangers and bolts.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KillSwitchNY
I have a 2000 SS with BBK long tubes and Y pipe. I had ALL the same issues you guys had. There was a ******* 1/2" gap between the Y and the I pipes, plus Magnaflow made it to fit stock Y pipe so it was 2.75" ID which you cannot use a band clamp on because of the diameter difference.
that isn't magnaflows problem
Old 04-28-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

so i bought a used magnaflow catback from a member. i didnt get the tip hangers. i have it on the car but not hooked up. think ill have issues with it moving around while driving since i dont have the tip hangers??
Old 04-29-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand. I've installed 4 of the MF systems on my different cars and every one of them fit like a glove. I wouldn't consider a different brand.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Great. I have a MF catback I bought used last fall, I never got around to installing it. I was thinking it was going to be an easy install, and was going to do it next weekend, but now I'm not looking forward to messing with the hangars and all that.

I hope it fits right. And mine came with all the hardware at least....all the clamps and those black hangers and bolts.
Got around to nstalling it today. Fit perfectly, I had no issues whatsoever. All the hangers lined up, the pipes fit fine, and I have no rubbing or rattling. I expected to have to adjust it more actually, but I got the over axle pipe positioned right on the first shot. I jacked it up from the axle and watched the suspension compress, and it wasn't even close to hitting. I also hit some big frost heaves on the way home, and didn't hear any rattling or any signs of contact.

I actually took a look at the MF install sheet before starting, and it looks like the guy I bought mine from hooked me up....mine came with all band clamps, and the MF install sheet shows regular muffler clamps (I hate those! Band clamps are the *****!)

Only issue I ran into wasn't MF's fault, the cutout that was welded into the I-pipe was a tad too far rearward, it was contacting the floor when I had the i-pipe i nthecorrect position. The guy who sold it to me was running longtubes and a ORY, so maybe it fit his car fine. I just ground a bit off the edge of the coutount flange where it was hitting, then gave the floor a few whacks with the ole BFH. Plenty of room now!

A good tip for anyone installing a used CB...

Buy a pipe expander! I picked one up at Harbor Freight for 9 bucks, and prior to attemtping the install I had expanded all the pipes, cleaned them up with emery cloth, and test fit everything. With that done months ago, everything slipped together like butter today.

Getting the old stuff out was a PITA, but getting the MF stuff in was very simple. I even have the tips lined up nice and even!

All I have to do now is wire up the cutout.

Oh, and I LOVE the sound! I romped on it leaving the house for the first time and I had an eargasm! It really is perfect...sounds nice and mellow cruising or at idle, but leaving a light or accelerating you can really hear it, it sounds agressive w/out being obnoxious.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Pics (including the hangers)...?

Old 08-11-2018, 06:59 AM

Default Wrong

Originally Posted by Latch
Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here. Surely I'm not the only one who's had this problem. The driver side hanger that is supposed to line up with the factory grommet is way too long and comes no where near lining up with the grommet.
Originally Posted by Latch

Slow down....read the crappy directions. They could be better. Need to replace the OEM hangers with the new ones. It all lines up. And for the guys who need all these adjustments.. once it's all up somewhat tight push up on the back of the muffler and the tips will drop down and really tighten the clamps. Then can adjust the tailpipes a little if have to same thing push up and really tighten the clamps. Took me a min to figure it out. But really isnt as bad as I thought or as some of you are making it seem. There was no problems with them needing to be adjusted left to right. Just have to make sure the tips are on the muffler allll the way..
As for the magnaflow it sucks..had a hooker on there that rattle trap broke 2 weeks in. For some reason I just put this stupid thing on and it's just as quiet as stock

It's pretty shitty that you spend hundreds of dollars on some pieces of pipe and a muffler that are supposed to fit your car and it just doesn't. Magnaflow really fucked up with this catback, between the appalling fitment and hideous redneck truck tips I can't believe that this is one of the most popular catbacks among LS1 owners... I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

If anyone's thinking of buying a Magnaflow catback... save your money and put an electric cutout on your stock catback.

Slow down....read the crappy directions. They could be better. Need to replace the OEM hangers with the new ones. It all lines up. And for the guys who need all these adjustments.. once it's all up somewhat tight push up on the back of the muffler and the tips will drop down and really tighten the clamps. Then can adjust the tailpipes a little if have to same thing push up and really tighten the clamps. Took me a min to figure it out. But really isnt as bad as I thought or as some of you are making it seem. There was no problems with them needing to be adjusted left to right. Just have to make sure the tips are on the muffler allll the way..
As for the magnaflow it sucks..had a hooker on there that rattle trap broke 2 weeks in. For some reason I just put this stupid thing on and it's just as quiet as stock
Old 08-11-2018, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,113 Likes on 2,428 Posts

You are responding to a 6-year old thread. Your statements might not reach their target...

Quick Reply: Magnaflow fitment sucks! (Pics)