Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side header fitment problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side header fitment problem

I just put some motivative performance solid mounts and am in the process of putting my ARH headers with 1 7/8 primaries on my 1999 trans am. I got the driver side header on no problem slip in real easy, but I can't get the passenger side to bolt up It hits the bell housing right by the starter so i can't get it pushed all the way up to bolt on.

not sure the motor looks like it is slightly angled to the left. I tryed to loosen the one middle bolt that holds the mount to the perch and tryed to pry it motor barley moves. Any ideas?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badgrandntl
I just put some motivative performance solid mounts and am in the process of putting my ARH headers with 1 7/8 primaries on my 1999 trans am. I got the driver side header on no problem slip in real easy, but I can't get the passenger side to bolt up It hits the bell housing right by the starter so i can't get it pushed all the way up to bolt on.

not sure the motor looks like it is slightly angled to the left. I tryed to loosen the one middle bolt that holds the mount to the perch and tryed to pry it motor barley moves. Any ideas?
I am so glad to hear someone else finally have this problem. I thought I was the only one ever. I fought with this as well, Finally I took a right angle grinder and sanded down probably 1/8-1/4 in off that area of the bell housing and plastic shield piece that sticks out. Then pushed like all mighty hell from the rear and she slipped up and in. Everyone always said the pass side was easy and Driver was tough. So I naturally did driver side first, and thought, wow, this will be a snap. Not so fast! Good luck.
Nice choice in headers!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

I recently purchased a set of ARH 1 7/8's for my 02. I've been fighting the same issue for the last two days. Driver side easy once the steering linkage was out. Passenger side not so much. I talked to Nick at ARH and he suggested unbolting the motor mounts and jacking up the motor. I've tried unbolting the pass MM pedestal and jacking up the motor. I've also unbolted the tranny mount and raised and lowered the tranny to no avail. Put roughly six hours under the car trying to wiggle this puppy in. Not too thrilled if I have to go out and buy tools to cut up my car =\

That said ARH has an awesome product with great service. I sent Nick an email regarding the issue and he called me the next morning to ask about the problem and provide some advice. Don't regret the purchase but I'd really like to squeeze this header in and get my car running again. It's been on stands for over a week. That is what I get for doing motor mounts and exhaust by myself.

Edit: Here is another case of the same issue.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l-problem.html
Attached Thumbnails Passenger side header fitment problem-arh_under_k_bell2.jpg   Passenger side header fitment problem-arh_under_k_bell1.jpg   Passenger side header fitment problem-arh_bell_close.jpg   Passenger side header fitment problem-arh_k_close.jpg   Passenger side header fitment problem-arh_lt_hung.jpg  

Old 03-26-2011, 01:14 AM
12 Second Club

loosen the trans mount and the trans support. remove the long bolt from the motor mount. now lift the motor with a floor jack, just make sure you put a piece of wood between jack and oil pan. disconnect the maf to intake lid. hope this helps....
Old 03-26-2011, 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

would removing the MM and pedestal.....and those heat shields make a diff?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

I wish I still had photo, but your third photo with red circle of transmission case interferance area is where I grinded on mine a bit. After that it "slid" *caugh caugh* in. FORCED is more like it. If I recall jacking up on motor etc. only made the issue worse. Must be something about our 02's and these 1 7/8 headers being slightly larger. I did not try loosening anything near the transmission mount though, so that might be an option for you. I have to say, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Was beginning to think my car was fubar'd. Good luck. I too spent about 4 hrs beating on this and my head. lol
Old 03-26-2011, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Yea moving the motor didn't seem to make a difference. I also unhooked all the transmission supports and used a jack to raise and lower the transmission. Seems like it may have helped but not enough to get the header in. Think tonight I might try to work the header in while adjusting the jack on the transmission. Maybe once the header sticks I can move the transmission around a bit for better clearance. Of course this all sounds good on paper =\
Old 03-26-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by raven4960
Yea moving the motor didn't seem to make a difference. I also unhooked all the transmission supports and used a jack to raise and lower the transmission. Seems like it may have helped but not enough to get the header in. Think tonight I might try to work the header in while adjusting the jack on the transmission. Maybe once the header sticks I can move the transmission around a bit for better clearance. Of course this all sounds good on paper =\
Yeah, I massaged a little of the body as well. Hated to do it. But sometimes thats what it takes. Not thinking anyone will ever notice. Trust me it's worth it when it's done. I'm loving mine. Especially after I just had it tuned by Frost.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Got the header up without any cutting. Only had to lower the transmission to a borderline unsafe level, hold the header at the place is was getting stuck, have a helper use a prybar to pull the transmission to the opposite side of the car while you push up and it will slide in. With a bit of force. =\

So onto the Y pipe. Passenger side slid onto the header but it looks like we're going to have to heat up the pipes to get the others into place.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Good to hear.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

When Im doing header installs and I run into a hung up header (usually the passenger side) I like to drop it as far down as it will go, then use a bungy cord to tie/hang the flange in place up top. Sometimes this will give you some freedom to wiggle it in from below.