Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*General* FAST LSXr 102 thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattSapp95_T/A

My LT1 car converted to LQ9/LS3...Fast 102...wanting to send it Mamo too..
Where did you get this filter and how much? What size is the oval opening and the round opening to the TB?
I have an ultra z hood (LT1 body with LS1) and this filter would be perfect as long as it accommodates 4"'s of air flow...

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to throw a non F body into the mix.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone seen a black 102 TB yet? My i102 is shaved and smoothed and painted gloss red. I would love to get a black NW 102 but I haven't seen one made or even custom done.

If you find one let me know and post some pics of it please. thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Didnt read the whole thread but what did you end up paying for everything?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

1k for the intake, 250 for sanding and smoothing, 350 for NW 102,
Old 05-31-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what type of paint are you guys using to deal with the warmer engine bay/manifold temps.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

So with the intake, fuel rails, injectors, and tb its over 1,500 pretty much?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

It is possible to tuck a wiring harness other then the Knock sensor wiring hareness under thge 102?

I am depining the stock PCM for sensors that I am not using and was wonderign if I could tuck the TPS, IAC, IAT wires under the mainfold to clean up the driver side of the motor?

any thoughts?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by O.N.
what type of paint are you guys using to deal with the warmer engine bay/manifold temps.
My LS6 was painted and smoothed my Whistler on here, I belive it was with regular paint and clear.

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
You can assume that, plus 25. for intake gaskets
Old 07-10-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RsSean
1k for the intake, 250 for sanding and smoothing, 350 for NW 102,
Wow.. 0_o I paid $790 for mine..

And Some FYI people.. Jegs has the FAST 102 LSXr fuel rails on sale at $166. Just got a set (Finally) and some Super sweeet (Napoleon dynamite) red and black Jegs AN fittings. Gotta re-do the x-over line. It's rubber = nono.

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Then you gotta add in fuel rails, injectors, port seals, PCV upgrades (if needed) Water pump (if needed) and the ducting work. and maybe a MAF. I don't even know how much my whole setup cost. Bought a lot of used parts tho. Intake, TB and LS6 PCV were all new tho. So mine was around $1800 with everything. Used MAF, Lid, injectors and ducting.

But this intake will out last almost any future modifications. It should never become a weak spot and will work with anything. ie; heads, engine swap... Spray... FI... Who knows.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 07-10-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sommer86
Here are the water pump comparisons for you guys again:

The LS1 water pump (with the 102 being fitted):

Here is my stock (1 month old) AC Delco LS2 water pump (notice it doesn't have the extra hump? )

The part number you provided (19195105) is for the 2004 GTO LS1 water pump. If I'm not mistaken, though it is of a different design, it is intended for the LS1 in the 2004 GTO, and is compatible with the LS1 thermostat housing. Is this correct? The part does not have the hump interfering with the FAST 102, and it is also compatible with early LS1 style Thermostat housing? If true, that would save a lot of money for people, rather than buying an actual LS2 pump, which would require purchase of the later style thermostat and housing.

Just for clarification.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
The part number you provided (19195105) is for the 2004 GTO LS1 water pump. If I'm not mistaken, though it is of a different design, it is intended for the LS1 in the 2004 GTO, and is compatible with the LS1 thermostat housing. Is this correct? The part does not have the hump interfering with the FAST 102, and it is also compatible with early LS1 style Thermostat housing? If true, that would save a lot of money for people, rather than buying an actual LS2 pump, which would require purchase of the later style thermostat and housing.

Just for clarification.
As far as I know, this pump and part number I posted is an LS2 GTO water pump. It also is the replacement for LS1 GTO's (and Camaro's I'm sure). This water pump I posted came with the stat and the housing. I believe it IS different from the LS1 pump... but the only difference is that it doesn't have the "hump" on top.

The main thing was that I needed the black "bell" to be the same diameter as the LS1's, and thats why I bought it.

I bought mine on eBay and since it all came as a complete package (pump, stat, gaskets and housing) it made life easy. All I need to find is a new 160 degree t-stat to use. There's also a big write up on LS1.com about this same issue, but the guy found the right part number for the t-stat.

And the only reason I bought this pump is because the rear cover is pressed on and not bolted on (like the LS1 version), hence the "hump" missing on top, which is where the rear cover bolts to the pump.

Did that make sense? And i could be wrong, but that's what we searched and found out.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Wow.. 0_o I paid $790 for mine..
Mine was ported was a literally a extra 200, so we paid about the same. LOL
Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

why hasn't this turned into a sticky?

I Vote Sticky now!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well this was a good read, hopefully FAST polishes up on a few of these issues by the time I'm ready to buy one.

I have a couple of quick questions though.

1) I have already moved my Oil Pressure Sender Unit from the back of the intake down to the filter housing boss. Which I would recommend to everyone as its a much better place for it. Anyway, as for the map sensor goes, when I get this intake I want it mounted in the front. Problem is I've heard many people refer to this and never explain where the hell it is actually mounted, any help?

2) I realize you have to get some skinny injectors, but one of the last pictures posted it looks like that guy has some 42 lbs Racetronix injectors and they seem to fit fine. Is it dependant on the type of rails you have too? For instance, if you're running LS2 rails you will need the skinny injectors, but if you run a custom rail setup you can get away with fat injectors?

3) I don't care much for the large 102mm opening though I'll bite the bullet and get a 102mm TB *even though its a bitch to tune*. Regardless, what I'm most irritated by is the fact that I spend this money to have a big 102mm TB thats a pain in the *** to tune, and at the end of the day no one offers a proper intake setup thats 100mm large. What the hell is the point of going through all of that trouble to make a 102mm TB work when you're stuck with a f**king 85mm lid or some variant infront of it?

Any help guys?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bouvs
Well this was a good read, hopefully FAST polishes up on a few of these issues by the time I'm ready to buy one.

I have a couple of quick questions though.

1) I have already moved my Oil Pressure Sender Unit from the back of the intake down to the filter housing boss. Which I would recommend to everyone as its a much better place for it. Anyway, as for the map sensor goes, when I get this intake I want it mounted in the front. Problem is I've heard many people refer to this and never explain where the hell it is actually mounted, any help?

2) I realize you have to get some skinny injectors, but one of the last pictures posted it looks like that guy has some 42 lbs Racetronix injectors and they seem to fit fine. Is it dependant on the type of rails you have too? For instance, if you're running LS2 rails you will need the skinny injectors, but if you run a custom rail setup you can get away with fat injectors?

3) I don't care much for the large 102mm opening though I'll bite the bullet and get a 102mm TB *even though its a bitch to tune*. Regardless, what I'm most irritated by is the fact that I spend this money to have a big 102mm TB thats a pain in the *** to tune, and at the end of the day no one offers a proper intake setup thats 100mm large. What the hell is the point of going through all of that trouble to make a 102mm TB work when you're stuck with a f**king 85mm lid or some variant infront of it?

Any help guys?
1. Not a bad idea. Any pics or write up?

2. I think it needs to be a "skinny" injector to fit into the FAST's lower shell. The rail should be an LS2 or LS2 style. If not, just take precautions to avoid fuel leaks.

3. If you look close enough, there care a few people who make 100+mm parts. I've got a FTP 104mm lid for now... (but we @ 6LE designs are designing our own 104 lid. We're even going to offer then in clear. But hey are pretty nice, and might even have a slightly better airflow design and a little more volume. )

Calloway, TSP and someone else even make 100mm MAF's.

There are even a few companies like TSP, FAST, Nick Williams and Godspeed that make 102mm TB's.

See, if you look around enough...or lurk around enough you'll find everything you're looking for.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

It's better to run the skinny injectors. Ask Bayer, he had all sorts of problems with the bigger ones. I can't remember how he resolved the issue though.

Also some people have problem tuning the 100mm MAF. Ask JimmyP. He ended up going SD.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

There is more than enough material left around the injector to sand the fast intake to accomodate the fat injectors. I used the fat injectors with no issues just had to do a little clearancing for them.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevin kuether
There is more than enough material left around the injector to sand the fast intake to accomodate the fat injectors. I used the fat injectors with no issues just had to do a little clearancing for them.
what would be the benefit to this if both injectors are the same flow say 50lb/hr for instance?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
It's better to run the skinny injectors. Ask Bayer, he had all sorts of problems with the bigger ones. I can't remember how he resolved the issue though.

Also some people have problem tuning the 100mm MAF. Ask JimmyP. He ended up going SD.
I actually went thru FIC (Sponsor on here) and he traded me straight up for a set of skinny 42# injectors.... Now I'm just having a hard time tracking down the offset and exact flow data for them so I can correct this hack-job tune this guy screwed me for.

And the angle of the injectors was causing the rails to leak pretty bad.

And IIRC, but the low air-speed flow is a main issue on the larger MAFs. I'm thinking there may be an inconsistent flow past the element enough to get a solid correction factor to dial the MAF in. A screen or "Flow Straightener" would be an ideal addition.

And also, I think the ETC TB's are more of a bitch to tune than our cable operated TB's because of the separate IAC. But the MAIN thing I noticed is the 102 has near instant throttle response!

Quick Reply: *General* FAST LSXr 102 thread