Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega Mouth cold air intake track results inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:38 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was not intended to be a battle between brands of ram air kits. This thread was simply posting real world results just like I've seen on the Chris1313 kit. No debate was intended. The point intended was that I am very pleased with this product for the reasons listed above and the results are actual and not even slightly exagerated. It's just an excellent bang for the buck IMO. A few members asked for comparisons between the Chris1313 and the Mega Mouth. As an individual enthusiasts and end user, I would have no interest in purchasing both kits and testing them in comparable conditions only to be picked apart for my efforts. It's just not gonna happen.

The car we tested this on was at an all day TnT in prepartation for the bracket racing season. In bracket racing you have to be able to duplicate runs or you are going home early. We were running an excellent tune and favorite race fuel that allows us deadly accurate consistency as Duffster brilliantly pointed out. We don't lose a tenth for every 100ft of DA which is why we win races and are able to provide an ideal platform for testing the Mega Mouth. The additional airflow (not the quality of air) is responsible for the ET improvements here. I posted the 1st and 2nd time slips to show the consistency of the car.

I could easily throw some pump gas in the car and fatten up the tune to where most test and tuners would be and then do the testing again. The ETs would be difficult to duplicate for solid data, but I would bet good money the gains before and after would be 2/10ths or better and at least another mph.

If you have built cold air intakes for friends and saw no solid gains, you need to step away from the tools and by a Mega Mouth or Chris1313 and experience the proven results that these kits provide. They work period!

I thought I was offering good data as a benefit for potential customers to use. Sorry it ruffled some feathers. Ive never been known as a BS'r. I call it like I see it and do not sell performance parts for anyone.

Off my soap box now
Old 03-24-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffster
while colder air is known to be better for making power, I don't see that in the timeslips...

he gained 1/100th, not 1/10th from 1st to 2nd pass, while consequently listing 100 foot DA drop... and .3 mph. . .

I've made one of these for a friend, but the slips don't show me any worthwhile gain.
Curious....stock cubes or stroker? I would imagine a larger cube motor that's starved for air due to the restrictions of the stock system would show a gain(s).
Old 03-25-2011, 06:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

basterds stole my design right out of my head, only i was gonna make mine sheet metal lol
Old 03-25-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for the explanations guys. TXCAMSS i love your car. its sick. i see it every time i go to rpr in baytown.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
We installed the Austin Mega Mouth on our car to get more airflow in to help our new set up. We had HKE freshen up our 408 and had Erik spec out a bigger cam that is more appropriate for what we use the car for now. The Mega Mouth is designed for cars with no A/C. It made use of all the space available. The install went very smooth. I really like the material it is made of. It's a very durable yet flexible plastic so it's light but not brittle.

Well we finally got to make some test and tune done as well as Mega Mouth track testing. We made 2 passes to get the AFR at 12.8:1 and then made 2 clean passes with no adjustments to ensure the car was dialed in. After that we just did have time to squeeze in a pass with the Mega Mouth blocked off and just the factory front air box inlet open. The results were pretty cut and dry IMO. The air was getting better by the minute as the sun was going down. The DA actually dropped 300 between the clean passes and the MM blocked pass so the car would have picked up an additional .03 had the MM been opened up. Basically the car picked up over a full tenth and right at 1 mph with my time slip data. In reality the car picked up .013 since the air was better when the MM was blocked off. My ET predicter showed us to be able to run a 9.935 on the last pass based on the air quality at that time and it is very accurate on this car. The data is quite impressive especially since the air wasn't all that. We often see -1000 DA here this time of year. The better the air is, the more the MM will shine. I wish we would have had the northern head wind we normally see this time of year instead of the southern tail wind we had this time out.

You can actually hear the suction of the Mega Mouth when you are standing outside the car with it idling and this big cam has very little vacuum. We didn't expect that.lol.

I have attached scans of the time slips to back up the results and a few pics of it installed in the car. I think it is a very good bang for the buck. At our power level, 10 rwhp is hard to come by and especially with such an easy install.

So about 1/10th and around 1.5 mph gain. I gained more than that from the smaller ssra. Do you think maybe cai kits gain less on higher hp cars? What would you think I would gain by swapping my smaller ssra with this bigger one?
Would you happen to have more pics of the space in front of the radiator with this installed?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss1le02
Nice gains TEXCAMSS.

He got the second prototype. The SSRA Mega Mouth will be going into production Monday. They should be ready in no later than two weeks. My first vendor for them is the WS6 Store. Contact them.

I'll post up some pics soon of the Mega Mouth.
hey Al, if I got the megamouth would I still be able to use this trans cooler like this except mounted on radiator? Its 7½" x 20" x ¾"
If theres more pics of the space between the megamouth and radiator I sure would love to see them

Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
hey Al, if I got the megamouth would I still be able to use this trans cooler like this except mounted on radiator? Its 7½" x 20" x ¾"
If theres more pics of the space between the megamouth and radiator I sure would love to see them

Nope, I think you're going to have to do the cooler "dope" style.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

The Mega Mouth works fine when the cooler is mounted dope style or to the side.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:27 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

This is the ONLY Question I have, and I feel it's ok to ask b/c I'm on the fence....

Looks like theres notches in it to go around the hood latch.....

Does this mean that air comes in from around the latch area too? I know on the Chrs1313 non ac set-up you have to cut that, which I'm ok with as long as it doesn't affect functionality. As I understand it, the 13's set-up is completely sealed, top to bottom.

How does this affect air flow, ram air and the like? I thought someone said something about you're only as strong as your smallest opening or something like that. If the mega mouth isn't a completely sealed system, does this in turn negate the effect?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

I removed my ac the other day and remounted trans cooler on radiator. Theres a **** ton of room now and im willing to bet the trans cooler like I have might fit with the MM. This cooler is 7" tall but only 3/4 thick. If I could get some pics or find out how far away from the radiator (at 7" tall) the MM is you (Al) would have another customer lol

The chriss ram air is one solid piece but I wouldnt cut my hood latch unless I have a pin on hood. The gains I experienced with the regular ssra were really good even though it ducts together just like the MM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

I like it a lot....more air more power how could you go wrong? I need one of these bad baiys myself. thanks for the post.

Quick Reply: Mega Mouth cold air intake track results inside