Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega Mouth cold air intake track results inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:16 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mega Mouth cold air intake track results inside

We installed the Austin Mega Mouth on our car to get more airflow in to help our new set up. We had HKE freshen up our 408 and had Erik spec out a bigger cam that is more appropriate for what we use the car for now. The Mega Mouth is designed for cars with no A/C. It made use of all the space available. The install went very smooth. I really like the material it is made of. It's a very durable yet flexible plastic so it's light but not brittle.

Well we finally got to make some test and tune done as well as Mega Mouth track testing. We made 2 passes to get the AFR at 12.8:1 and then made 2 clean passes with no adjustments to ensure the car was dialed in. After that we just did have time to squeeze in a pass with the Mega Mouth blocked off and just the factory front air box inlet open. The results were pretty cut and dry IMO. The air was getting better by the minute as the sun was going down. The DA actually dropped 300 between the clean passes and the MM blocked pass so the car would have picked up an additional .03 had the MM been opened up. Basically the car picked up over a full tenth and right at 1 mph with my time slip data. In reality the car picked up .013 since the air was better when the MM was blocked off. My ET predicter showed us to be able to run a 9.935 on the last pass based on the air quality at that time and it is very accurate on this car. The data is quite impressive especially since the air wasn't all that. We often see -1000 DA here this time of year. The better the air is, the more the MM will shine. I wish we would have had the northern head wind we normally see this time of year instead of the southern tail wind we had this time out.

You can actually hear the suction of the Mega Mouth when you are standing outside the car with it idling and this big cam has very little vacuum. We didn't expect that.lol.

I have attached scans of the time slips to back up the results and a few pics of it installed in the car. I think it is a very good bang for the buck. At our power level, 10 rwhp is hard to come by and especially with such an easy install.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

right on dude. yea a 10th is alot once you get to a certain point. and for just a simple bolt on to get you that time was probably exciting lol. keep up the good work.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have any better pix of it installed? i talked to Al earlier today about having one made up for me, since i do not have A/C.
thanks,
Dan
Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice gain!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:50 AM
Captain Double Post

Yeah that's good stuff,can you buys these yet ?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Nice gains TEXCAMSS.

He got the second prototype. The SSRA Mega Mouth will be going into production Monday. They should be ready in no later than two weeks. My first vendor for them is the WS6 Store. Contact them.

I'll post up some pics soon of the Mega Mouth.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what did you have on the car before?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Nice gains. Good back to back comparison
Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Good deal! GMHTP was saying a 10th gain also. I'm gonna have to make one of these bad boys!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 AM
10 Second Club

Back up for some updates.

First, both the SSRA and Mega Mouth are now sold and stocked by WS6store.com who is a sponsor here >>>>>>>

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...store-com.html

On to the details, but a quick history is in store. Early last Summer I asked Al (designer of the original SSRA) to come up with a track version of the SSRA for those like me that don't run AC. It's similar to an earlier version he did a few years ago, but this one is much better in all regards from design to actual construction.

Unfortunately by the time I hit the track, the prototype was back in production for final revisions. Shortly after that the racing season ended up here, so he sent a revised version to James (TXCAMSS) who started this thread. I did manage some back to back WOT runs on the street compared to the FTRA with a noticeable SOTP difference (especially frum roll). Thought not completely scientific; the datalogs I recorded confirmed less intake restriction and better airflow by logging IAT, MAP, MAF hz, gms/cyl and AFR. This was last Summer in hot temps, so I would expect better improvement in cooler weather.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the Mega Mouth installed on my car with some additional comments. BTW - This is a final production piece.

The Complete Mega Mouth - A block off plate and front lid seal is also included. As James mentioned in his post this is a quality piece made of pliable plastic that is very durable. It's a pretty straight forward install.

Top View Install - You can see the size of the opening which is about the same width of the air filter. The air filter tray will still work with the Mega Mouth.

Bottom View looking up from the ground - We shined a light from the top so you can see the actual size of the bottom part. As with the original SSRA, the lower portion is screwed into the bumper (no drilling required) with small screws.

Side view - We took this pic because I felt it warrants some extra attention. The original prototype was much bigger including the lower portion which had more of a bell mouth design to it. It worked great but restricted air flow too much in front of the radiator. So a .50" tab was added to each side (left and right) to prevent the upper half from laying directly against the radiator. This helped alot and also offer additional stability to the design. Note: I use a LT1 radiator (shown in the pic below) which sits closer to the upper portion because it has a noticeably bigger core compared to the LS1 radiator.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

how does this compare to the 1313 ram air kit?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 70hemicuda
Now, this is the right question to ask.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

I have no personal experience with the 1313 ram air kit. Based on it's description the differences I find that it is made of metal versus the Mega Mouths rigid plastic. The plastic will obviously be less prone to hold heat. I have not seen a car equipped with the Chris1313 cold air kit, but I do know the Mega Mouth has tabs that help allow airflow to the radiator behind the MM. The Mega Mouth also looks to be about $15.00 cheaper. I really doubt one will out flow the other and if one did it would be tough to prove.

These are just my observations and I have no vested interest here aside from helping educate fellow LS1 enthusiasts for a potential future mod investment.

If you have a Chris1313 ram air kit, I would not put it up for sale and buy a Mega Mouth. It's not going to be a worthwhile swap for the money spent. Now if you are looking for that next modification that is proven to work, then I would highly consider buying a good cold air kit. The decision is up to the buyer. I just pointed out the differences that I noticed.

I made my choice based on the reasons listed above. My results were a worst case senario, not a best case senario like many promotors use. I have been hoping for a track day with a good north wind to show the real potential of the Mega Mouth with the same back to back testing.

It's a great mod for the money IMO.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Captain Double Post

I think its a great mod for the money also,I will have to get one of these,
Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I bet the gains at the track would be higher on a car making less power.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm definitely starting to get interested in one of these. I'm assuming there is no cutting involved, direct bolt in?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just the typical cutting of airbox by the looks of it. Looks like theres notches in it to go around the hood latch so probly just airbox.
But ac condensor has to come out.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 70hemicuda
Here are my observations from the pictures and some comments that have been stated...

I have never heard yet of anyone having overheating problems with my ram air...Plently of air gets to the radiator, My car doesnt even have the bottom black air deflector on the car from the factory and I am never above 185* even on 90+ degree days...Here is also a post from a results thread below of someone else who sees 100* weather with no increase in coolant temps...

Post 87

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post13472347

So that 1/2" tab shown in the Mega Mouth is incorporated into my ram air for more volume...Also my ram air does not completely block the air path to the radiator...Air can get past the full backside of the ram air(there is a gap between the back of the ram air and the lower radiator support)...This could be the reason overheating hasn't been noticed...

Also when i designed my ram air back in 2005, I made it so it takes up the most space possible... So the underside of the radiator support rib is bent forward to gain another 1/2-3/4"...This is probably not incorporated into the megamouth, which is understandable if you just want a straight bolt in kit, just some space left on the table...

V bracket support-
This was taken out because it will block around 1/4 of the whole ram air if it is left in place...Which goes against the whole idea i was trying to accomplish of making the ram air as big as possible...Also creates another leak point that needs to be sealed up tightly or some of your gains will be lost through the gaps of where the ram air has to be separated...

Last point was about heat soak...It is not present in the ram air do to air constantly rushing over it and through it...Maybe if it was a lid or intake it might be more of a problem. I actually run my IAT (intake air temp) sensor in the side of my ram air cause it is cooler than my plastic lid (lol), it always reads right at ambient conditions, which is what i want...

Mine is more for the extreme person who wants the largest ram air possible and has the quest for that last 1-2 hp...It is maxed out for the space available...The key is to keep it the same crosssection throughout...

More ram airs out on the market is a good thing, whats the total number up to now, 7, 8, etc...

Enjoy guys...

Chris

Last edited by chrs1313; 03-23-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I like the idea - chrs1313 or SSRA. Might be a perfect short term solution for my build until I figure something else out. How would this work with aftermarket radiators?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while colder air is known to be better for making power, I don't see that in the timeslips...

he gained 1/100th, not 1/10th from 1st to 2nd pass, while consequently listing 100 foot DA drop... and .3 mph. . .

I've made one of these for a friend, but the slips don't show me any worthwhile gain.

Quick Reply: Mega Mouth cold air intake track results inside