Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid f-body y pipes... (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid f-body y pipes... (rant)

OK, enough of this crap.

Who is gonna be the first to build a y pipe and get it right?

Enough with the slip fit crap - decent ball flanges or v bands, so you can drop the y without removing the whole exhaust system. I don't care which.

3", but oval tubing on the drivers side. It's hardly new technology, enough with no ground clearance or smashing the hell out of the drivers pipe.

A DECENT Flowmaster or Magnaflow merge. Why haven't any manufactures listened on this? Does somebody like all that rasp?

Get it right and somebody's gonna make a killing.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Best Y pipe around seems to be BBK...but I think it is 2.5 inches.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought about that as well. Why hardly any of the long tube options for these cars have actual flanges. I thought that the reason behind always using the slip fit joints was because maybe these cars need some adjustment in the exhaust for different chassis variations. Who knows. I completely agree, a ORY with an oval pipe on the drivers side, flowmaster merge, and ball and cup flanges!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69GMC/99LS1
OK, enough of this crap.

Who is gonna be the first to build a y pipe and get it right?

Enough with the slip fit crap - decent ball flanges or v bands, so you can drop the y without removing the whole exhaust system. I don't care which.

3", but oval tubing on the drivers side. It's hardly new technology, enough with no ground clearance or smashing the hell out of the drivers pipe.

A DECENT Flowmaster or Magnaflow merge. Why haven't any manufactures listened on this? Does somebody like all that rasp?

Get it right and somebody's gonna make a killing.
To be fair, youve basically described a very good custom Y.

I agree with everything youve said, but i decided to just get a trustworthy muffler shop to build one for me, Flowmaster Y, perfect fit and all. The thing about mass produced Y-pipes is that no two cars are exactly alike at this point and the fit can not really be described as perfect. Plus from the price quotes i got, it ends up being close to the same price for built vs. bought.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:08 AM
11 Second Club

I completely agree with you! It's so frustrating, I can't even explain. My TSP Y did not fit how I wanted it to. Ahh. I had to swap my LT's and ORY for the stock stuff to get it smogged. Before I put it back on, I'm going to make sure I get it right, so it's nice, clean and hassle free!

You hit the nail on the head with this thread.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

its our damn cars not the manufacturers fault! take a look under your car and see. they forgot about the exhaust and then they said oh how about some under car Y pipe...i had mine custom it fits perfectly and all but still its lower than stock due to the gay crushed driver side.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Captain Double Post

Ls1robo do you live in cali? Because that's a lot of work to switch all that crap
Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

my lsxtreme Y pipe seems to have a pretty good merge. The fitment isnt exactly perfect though
Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

holy big picture my bad
Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah no kidding lol. why no v band clamps? the tolerances from car to car vary.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Mufflex Y not good enough for you?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Ls1robo do you live in cali? Because that's a lot of work to switch all that crap
Yup! I'm in Cali. Emissions are strict as **** here.

It does suck having to switch back to get smogged, but after you've done it a few times it's not that bad and goes pretty quick. I think the only hard part of the process is when putting the LT's back on and getting the Y aligned. It's my least favorite thing to do. Putting the stock stuff back on is a breeze though.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those LSXtreme Y merges were awesome. And it basically was dragging on the ground. Never again in New England.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're not gonna see that type of y-pipe mass produced. The small variances between header manufacturers, catbacks, suspensions, and the individual cars themselves will prevent the use of v-bands due to exact fitment needed, ball flanges have more to work with however. The adjustability of using slip flit is why you see that type of system. As said, what you described is a custom y, tailored to what you have done to your specific car. If you have any type of fabrication skills (can you cut pipe?), you can make one yourself. You don't even need to weld it, just make the cuts, line up the pipes, mark 'em, then take it to a welder. Or you can buy the needed supplies, find a competent shop (none in my area would even attempt something like that, they stick to making crushed bent catless duals for trucks ), and pay the ridiculous amount of labor they will charge.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

MTBSully, you cannot get that ypipe anymore as the seller ended up stealing a bunch of money and if you send the guy payment for one, I doubt you'll get anything back...

The mufflex and qtp y pipes are like 400 after you get all the clamps, etc and for that price, you can buy another set of headers. I think people are looking for a decent fitting, SUPER good flowing ory that doesnt cost an arm and leg. For that price, you can get a custom made one at any speed shop. Even the high end stainless headers like kooks and ARH have crappy y pipes for their headers as the merges...well there are no merges on them, put it that way..
I doubt it will happen but maybe someday, someone with enough money and who isnt a crook will make some for the fbody crowd..
Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i know there was a problem with people receiving their headers in a timely fashion but it appears they have a site now? Wonder how legit they are. i bought mine new from someone who purchased them directly from LSxtreme so i cant really say how the customer service was.

w w w.lsxtremeperformance.com/
Old 03-24-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
MTBSully, you cannot get that ypipe anymore as the seller ended up stealing a bunch of money and if you send the guy payment for one, I doubt you'll get anything back...

The mufflex and qtp y pipes are like 400 after you get all the clamps, etc and for that price, you can buy another set of headers. I think people are looking for a decent fitting, SUPER good flowing ory that doesnt cost an arm and leg. For that price, you can get a custom made one at any speed shop. Even the high end stainless headers like kooks and ARH have crappy y pipes for their headers as the merges...well there are no merges on them, put it that way..
I doubt it will happen but maybe someday, someone with enough money and who isnt a crook will make some for the fbody crowd..
I thought ARH actually had a true flowmaster style merge on their y's..That y in fact looks like the best y I've seen...costly as **** for a y, but it is a true 2into 1 merge....
Old 03-23-2014, 01:20 AM
11 Second Club

Default Quick Time Performance Off Road Y Pipe with Flowmaster Merge

Heres the Hot Y Pipe Set up !
Click on the link below... Then Scroll down to bottom of page & check out the QTP Off Road Y Pipe with Flow Master Merge.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/...ls1headers.php

Last edited by NOS LS1; 03-23-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in a big *** 3" Y pipe now but i really want X pipe and duals. Or true duals. Why...just want it done right. Car is going from headers (w/ electric cutouts), to Y pipe, through 1 cat, back to 2 pipes to cat back. Kinda seems retarded even at 3" throughout. All done by previous owner and I know that is how it was done in the day, but still grinds my gears.

my ideal setup: Headers (w/ electric cutouts), X pipe, 2 fake hollow cats, 2 pipe straight back with 2 cans at rear.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

All the Y pipe designs are a piece of ****. I destroyed that thing the last time i took it off and replaced it with duals.

If they had a design with a center ball style flange with the regular band/slip fit it would be fine. Pulling the trans takes 20 minutes. Pulling the Y/Exhaust apart takes an hour and half when you're trying to keep it mint LOL

Wait a sec didn't FLP have a V band catted/ORY setup like 15 years ago. Damn...

Quick Reply: Stupid f-body y pipes... (rant)