Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple questions, y pipe, ms4, vic jr

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple questions, y pipe, ms4, vic jr

I just bought an ms4 cam for my ls1. I'm installing pacesetter longtubes at the moment as well. I planned on running turn downs off the longtubes, but I have a y pipe laying around, curious if I should throw it on there, any benefit to it? If I did I'd just run a bullet and/or turn down off of the y. My car is an 01 so it currently has the ls6 intake, I considered a fast 102 (for future mods, ie larger cube short block, better heads) but they're so expensive and I really like the victor jr and have seen it work for many people, a local being one of them. The car is NOT daily driven, and basically will only be used to drag (on the track and street, don't judge) and cruise in when I'm bored. I guess what I'm asking is, with my cam (I'm not afraid to go custom grind later) would you go vic jr, fast, or keep ls6 for now. My car is an auto (th350) with 4k ptc stall, if that accounts for anything. I'm open to any suggestions.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody? Buehler..
Old 03-29-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with a Fast intake before I would go the Victor route.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I would stay away from the vic jr,not that its a bad intake,but a ls6 or fast is better for your setup,also your really gonna want to look into a set of gears,I run a ms4 and it was a dog down low with stock gears,4.10s made the cam,and I will be going 4.30s with the new rear,also might wanna look into injectors ,my stock ones were pretty closed to maxed at I think 6100,as for a open y,or bullets off the headers, its gonna be loud as all hell,if your gonna do a dumped y,go with a magnaflow bullet and run it back before the axle,also don't run the turn down straight down,honest I drove 45 mins with a open y and it is way to loud for the street,I would just do a good dual setup
Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Captain Double Post

Also if your thinking your gonna go custom grind ,I would just sell your ms4 and go that route,will save ya time doing a cam swap,and money saved for a dyno tune,big cams sell fast on here,also if your on stock gears a custom grind would be way better,its better to do something one time and be done with it,also don't know about autos but you might need a bigger stall
Old 03-29-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fast , duals , and a smaller cam . got 500+ out of mac mids , 224 fast and few other common things . just got to get everything to complement one another . find the right setup and you will be good to go . went through 6 cams before finding out that the smaller cams have been made as long as cams been made for the ls1 . naturally more research and development on the fundamentals.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Captain Double Post

This is gonna turn into another big cam,small cam war lol,
Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Well I'll save the battle, cam isn't being sold till I buy heads and have more cubes down low. Swapping cams isn't a big deal. And I'm either dumping with bullets or dumping off the y pipe. I'm not going to run a full exhaust to save the weight and because I'm not worried about a full blow catback on a drag focused car that doesn't have ac, ps, insulation, cruise, overdrive, center console, abs, traction control and runs around on drag radials and skinnies. I'm not trying to be a *****, just keeping the focus on the questions I asked. If I asked in the wrong section just let me know. As for the gears, the stock gears won't be around much longer one way or another.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:30 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it is mostly a drag car I don't see a problem with putting a vic jr on it right now. With your stall and the cam that intake should do pretty well. We do prefer FAST intakes but for the money and the right setup a vic jr is not a bad way to go.

For the exhaust, I would just run the bullets with some pipe off the headers. I think you will make better power that way rather then a y-pipe as these cars don't need a ton of back pressure to make power.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Perfect response right there. Thank you! Look forward to popping this cam in and having some fun! Probably give texas speed some more of my money when it's time to do heads haha