Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reuse valvestem seals that were never run?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reuse valvestem seals that were never run?

So here's the story:

Doing a cam swap on my car, we get 4 pairs of valvesprings changed out, seals and all. Dropped a lifter (D'OH) into the pan, which lead to me deciding to go with new heads. Got a set of 243s from a buddy and now I'm going that route. However, as you know, installing valve stem seals take a lil bit of oomph and taking them off can be a bit of a pain. In the process of taking a few of the new seals off the old heads, they got a bit beat up. Here is the worst of them:

I can kinda squish them back into nearly perfect circular shape. The blue Viton rubber seal is fine, the housing is just a bit out of round (from using pliers to remove)

Do you think I could just reshape them and run them as is? Only a couple look haggard like pictured above. The others came off with a good twist and pull and look mostly perfect.

(would rather not put off the project any further as I have to get this car done by Saturday on limited time)
Old 04-11-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they might be ok they might not if your going to go through all that trouble of new heads and such a new set is only like 25-30 bucks at autozone and if you get the 01-up style they have a "hat like" design which makes them easier to put on imo
Old 04-11-2011, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

id agree with redbird, go to the local parts store and grab a new set. its a huge PITA to change them afterwards if you have a leaky one. they should be stocked at most parts stores so it wont hold you up much.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

The set I got with my PRC set all look the same... Parts store showed intake and exhaust valve seals, and they looked slightly different from what I had, so I was hesitant to use those. The exhaust seals had a smaller diameter hole but were same height. The intake seals hole diameter were the same as my PRC, but they were shorter by a few mm. Is there a reason for this?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PRC seals can be used on both intake and exhaust. They will work just fine. We have been running them for several years now. If you need a new set we have them on the shelf. $29.99 + the ride!

Jon
Old 04-12-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder v2.0
The set I got with my PRC set all look the same... Parts store showed intake and exhaust valve seals, and they looked slightly different from what I had, so I was hesitant to use those. The exhaust seals had a smaller diameter hole but were same height. The intake seals hole diameter were the same as my PRC, but they were shorter by a few mm. Is there a reason for this?
I'm not sure what the reason is but heres the set that came on 01-up and i just replaced them on my 02 with the same style.
http://paceperformance.com/images/F20659744.gif
Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
The PRC seals can be used on both intake and exhaust. They will work just fine. We have been running them for several years now. If you need a new set we have them on the shelf. $29.99 + the ride!

Jon
If only I could get them here by tomorrow morning lol
Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

I decided against reusing mine, they were new but got a little crimped pulling them off...but I live 20 minutes from Summit Racing

Quick Reply: Reuse valvestem seals that were never run?