Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flowmaster to magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default flowmaster to magnaflow

hey guys, does anyone know the part number of the muffler in the ls1 magnaflow catback, and if it could be directly swapped into an already installed flowmaster catback? I bought my car with the flowmaster, but would like to change the sound and I am hoping this would be an easy switch. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sure can. I did exactly that. Here's the magnaflow part # man, 12267. Sound's much better plus you will notice a slight gain in power. Good luck!

Turk
Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

So you know, there are 2 part numbers. One is for the high polish version, one has like a brushed finish. Brushed finish runs $105 from Summit, polish runs around $150.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

I payed $75 for mine from a local Exhaust shop. It's the high polished finish.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

just dont be disappointed if your car becomes much quieter with magnaflow.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

Don't you mean sound better? The chokemaster sound's like crap IMO. Add some LT's to the magnaflow and it wakes it up....throw in a cam and it's music to the ears.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Don't you mean sound better? The chokemaster sound's like crap IMO. Add some LT's to the magnaflow and it wakes it up....throw in a cam and it's music to the ears.
HAHAH..not really man. I just got rid of my magnaflow for TSP Duals dumped. It ***** on magnaflow all day long. Magnaflow is only popular because its not very loud and its tame, but the fact is its quiet as ****. I have a 230 cam, longtubes, ory, and it was too quiet. My next door neighbors 97 dodge ram sounds meaner than mine did.

Running TSP Duals now and magnaflow isnt even in the same sentance. My car now sounds mean, and i love the sound. Its alot louder and meaner, and muscle sounding. Not so much with Wacknaflow.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd keep the Flowmaster, (which sucks) over the Magnaflow.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
HAHAH..not really man. I just got rid of my magnaflow for TSP Duals dumped. It ***** on magnaflow all day long. Magnaflow is only popular because its not very loud and its tame, but the fact is its quiet as ****. I have a 230 cam, longtubes, ory, and it was too quiet. My next door neighbors 97 dodge ram sounds meaner than mine did.

Running TSP Duals now and magnaflow isnt even in the same sentance. My car now sounds mean, and i love the sound. Its alot louder and meaner, and muscle sounding. Not so much with Wacknaflow.
Well of course duels sound's better then a catback I think it's rather funny when people say the magnaflow is quiet, I find it just the opposite. Then again a lot of people prefer loud annoying exhaust systems.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how can anyone compare a catback to a true dual system?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rob69zombie
I'd keep the Flowmaster, (which sucks) over the Magnaflow.
This ..
Old 04-13-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well of course duels sound's better then a catback I think it's rather funny when people say the magnaflow is quiet, I find it just the opposite. Then again a lot of people prefer loud annoying exhaust systems.
I guess its all preference. But yeah magnaflow is quiet. Just look at the last few threads, half the people are disappointed with how quiet it is or the tips. Tips didnt bother me at all, but the quietness did.

Its pretty bad when you have a cammed car, and live in a quiet housing area and your wife says i didnt hear your car..
Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
Lmao. Exactly.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

I guess its all preference. But yeah magnaflow is quiet. Just look at the last few threads, half the people are disappointed with how quiet it is or the tips. Tips didnt bother me at all, but the quietness did.

Its pretty bad when you have a cammed car, and live in a quiet housing area and your wife says i didnt hear your car..
No need for me to read up on Magnaflow systems or threads. Well aware of what they sound and perform like. I'm not running their tips either.

I'd rather not have a really loud sounding car anyways. Draws too much attention to the cops, plus emissions testing here can be a bitch when it comes to sound. I will leave the loud exhaust sound to the high school kids driving the Honda's.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need for me to read up on Magnaflow systems or threads. Well aware of what they sound and perform like. I'm not running their tips either.

I'd rather not have a really loud sounding car anyways. Draws too much attention to the cops, plus emissions testing here can be a bitch when it comes to sound. I will leave the loud exhaust sound to the high school kids driving the Honda's.
pretty much why I went with a magnaflow cat back. It sounds good between 4k and redline. Although, I hate the tips and the fitment sucks !!

Here is my car with the magnaflow. No cats.

http://youtu.be/i0CyN_4gv3M
Old 04-13-2011, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by brians91formula
pretty much why I went with a magnaflow cat back. It sounds good between 4k and redline. Although, I hate the tips and the fitment sucks !!

Here is my car with the magnaflow. No cats.

http://youtu.be/i0CyN_4gv3M
The tips are well known to sit ****-eyed. I just bought some corsa clones and they sit perfectly straight. Mine comes to life a little earlier in the rpm range.

BTW, your exhaust to too quiet Nice ride!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne

I ended up switching from a catback to a duals because 1) i wanted something louder, and 2) I run a reverse split cam. I did notice a huge throttle difference for sure over magnaflow.

Guys, magnaflow is a great catback no doubt. I was just disappointed in how loud it was. I wish it was a bit louder. Thats all. To have a cammed car and barely even notice your cam lope definitely was disappointing.

To be honest, LM1 is alot louder than Duals dumped at crusing speeds IMO. Duals is actually tame.

I have ran LM1, Flowmaster, Dynomouth, Magnaflow, and now duals. LM1 is the loudest out of all of them. I wanted something at crusing speeds, and at idle to be alot louder than magnaflow but not crazy like LM1. Duals definitely is the ticket.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thats your preference man. I ran magnaflow and was disappointed with it. Great catback because its stainless steel and priced well. But the fact is that its barely even louder than stock. That is why everybody says magnaflow is quiet and loud at WOT... every catback will scream at WOT..
Old 04-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Launching!

+3 for the maggie. Don't let others fool you to believing they are REALLY REALLY quiet. They have some sound to them. Ultimately depends too on your current mods. Ditch that flowmaster.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree its going to be MUCH quieter. At least it will flow alittle better than the cross flow muffler I guess.

Quick Reply: flowmaster to magnaflow