Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a good fitting Y-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What is a good fitting Y-pipe?

Sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search and found mixed reviews, and most of the threads were really old.

Im going to get rid of my true duals and switch to an ORY and catback. What are some good fitting y-pipes?
Unfortunately, a custom Y is not an option because I will only have one weekend to bolt it on, the car is my DD so I will need to be able to drive it to school the next day.
I like the merge on the new tsp ory, but have read that about 50% of people said getting it to fit correctly was a major pain.

How is the pacesetter y-pipe fitment?

The car already has pacesetter longtubes on it..

I will have access to a hoist to
install this stuff by the way.

Any input would be helpful!
Thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tsp pipe isnt a bad one by any means its just that your gonna have to kinda pull the pipes together and have someone to help with the clamps to get everything bolted up nice. I did mine in the driveway under jackstands so a lift would make life alot easier.I will say it clears the floorpan good and dosent have any rub issues with the car or the ground. It does need to be trimmed a little on the end where the catback bolts up. Im sure this was just to assure a universal fitting system as all cars arent exactly the same. If I had it to do over again id still buy it..... If that helps any. BTW I have hooker lt's but the pacecetters are just about the same design So fitment should be the same.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Ok cool thanks for the reply.
I was kind of hoping the new TSP would have a decent fitment because I like the free flowing merge. I don't mind a little trimming/pulling... I just don't want to have to stuff totally chopped and welded etc. I will most likely be doing the swap on a Saturday afternoon and most muffler shops will be closed.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

If I remember right, I had to trim about 2 inches off the end to get the catback to fit correctly. A sawzall will be your friend.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Not a problem, I've got a good DeWalt sawzall. I just don't want anything that would need to be welded
Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by zrsnopro97
Not a problem, I've got a good DeWalt sawzall. I just don't want anything that would need to be welded
Sounds like your good. Little help for ya: use the band clamps where the primaries hook to the y merge and use the cheapo two piece muffler shop clamps to join the header collectors to the y pipe primaries. There are no instructions included that I remember but its not hard to figure it out. You goin catted or illegal?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Really appreciate the tips!
I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out, hopefully lol.

Well my car is already illegal and it's staying that way haha. It's currently got TSP true duals dumped at the rear axles and pacesetter longtubes. I'm just tired of the duals and want to switch to a Y and catback. Don't really mind if I give up a couple horsepower. I'm just tired of the vibrations and loudness of the duals, not to mention the whole system hangs way to low and it's getting rusty.

Probably going to buy a loudmouth catback and put a borla xr1 muffler in place of the loudmouth resonator (borlamouth)

The true duals sound alright and scream at WOT, but under normal driving and at idle it sounds like a rusty old farm truck lol.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

I like the hooker catback, its really quiet when crusing but it gets pretty loud when provoked. I actually think my car pulls harder with the catback than with the td's, seems like it anyways.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

sounds like you kinda have your mind made up but...my pacesetter ORY fits pretty good to my headers but it bangs on the floor board when i punch it. sounds like almost all do though.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Yea my true duals even hit the floorboards occasionally on take off. I'm pretty used to it now.

I used to have the hooker catback on a t/a and loved it! It had stock manifolds but I added an ory to get rid of the cats and that car sounded mean! It was mellow around town but sounded awesome at WOT without any rasp at all..
Old 04-14-2011, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Poly motor mounts will fix that. I would deff take headers back off and do this at the same time.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the best ORY is 1 you custom make
Old 04-15-2011, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

I plan on doing poly motor mounts and new trans mounts in the future.
And I know a custom Y is the best but I don't have the time to have one made right. Car is a DD and I will only have one day to do the
exhaust, that's why I need something that will bolt on.

I've heard mufflex makes a y-pipe hanger that supposedly eliminates banging, but haven't heard if it actually works or not. I think it's around $50
Old 04-16-2011, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Pacesetter ORY fit onto my Pacesetter LT'S Perfectly... no pulling cuttin or anything. Although I did put them on at the same time with car on stands. Good luck to ya
Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by zrsnopro97
I plan on doing poly motor mounts and new trans mounts in the future.
And I know a custom Y is the best but I don't have the time to have one made right. Car is a DD and I will only have one day to do the
exhaust, that's why I need something that will bolt on.

I've heard mufflex makes a y-pipe hanger that supposedly eliminates banging, but haven't heard if it actually works or not. I think it's around $50
poly or solid motor mounts will eliminate any engine movement and banging will be non existant