Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil drip out the tail pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil drip out the tail pipe.

I have a D1SC 01 Camaro and after the first run with the car after a long winter I've noticed a bit of an oil drip coming out of the tail pipe the next morning. Oil levels are good, the air filter is fresh but the oil looks to be engine oil. I'm thinking blow by, but the motor is strong and runs really good and with zero detonation. I'm quite concerned. I currently don't have a catch can in the car, is this something I should concider or do I have bigger problems then this.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil out the tailpipe: never seen that before. Your sure its oil?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clogged PCV Valve, Rings, Head gasket, Valve guides, cracked block, Hole in piston,
What color smoke if any are you getting?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Add valve seals to his list.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

I figured the hot exhaust pipes would just turn it to smoke before it reached the tips??? Its all gotta go through the combustion chambers first though, a plug check is probably in order, right???
Old 04-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Launching!

yea check the plugs, but if its dripping out of the tail pipe there should be plenty of smoke...and if you had a dead plug the pipes would still get hot enough to burn the oil to make it smoke...
Old 04-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone, it's most definitely oil, but the funny thing is that it's not burnt and the car doesn't smoke. I'll check again though. It's almost like something was dripping into the exhaust and slowly dripping out over night. The car ran great with no detonation, but that might not mean anything. I can't find a single drop of oil anyplace other then under the tail pipe, but the pipe it's self was dry when I checked. I need to do a a more thorough inspection, been to damn cold in my garage and I've been racking my brain about it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by KJS408; 04-15-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sure its not carbon and condensation?
Old 04-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
Sure its not carbon and condensation?
Yes sir, most definitely oil, a good sample. I'm going to do a bit more investigating, I'll post up my findings incase anyone is interested.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KJS408
Thanks everyone, it's most definitely oil, but the funny thing is that it's not burnt and the car doesn't smoke. I'll check again though. It's almost like something was dripping into the exhaust and slowly dripping out over night. The car ran great with no detonation, but that might not mean anything. I can't find a single drop of oil anyplace other then under the tail pipe, but the pipe it's self was dry when I checked. I need to do a a more thorough inspection, been to damn cold in my garage and I've been racking my brain about it. Thanks for the suggestions.
You said under the tailpipe? As in not in the tailpipe? If thats the case and the pipes are dry on the inside it might have just dripped from under the car. If the car isnt smoking when the exhaust is really good and hot then its not comming from inside the pipes as in from the engine internally. If its on the outside then it might be dripping from the engine and air is pushing it back there while driving. is the dipstick tube seated good. Had a friend with vortec blown 95 gt that would blow the dipstick tube out under boost and cause all kind of oil loss and it smoked like a freight train while oil was comming out. Pcv hose was kinked... If it runs good there cant really be a major internal problem Is my thinking on this one....
Old 04-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
You said under the tailpipe? As in not in the tailpipe? If thats the case and the pipes are dry on the inside it might have just dripped from under the car. If the car isnt smoking when the exhaust is really good and hot then its not comming from inside the pipes as in from the engine internally. If its on the outside then it might be dripping from the engine and air is pushing it back there while driving. is the dipstick tube seated good. Had a friend with vortec blown 95 gt that would blow the dipstick tube out under boost and cause all kind of oil loss and it smoked like a freight train while oil was comming out. Pcv hose was kinked... If it runs good there cant really be a major internal problem Is my thinking on this one....
I agree with you totally, before reading your post I had a closer look. Okay, so it is oil that's for sure, but I'm embarrassed to admit I mis-diagnosed the difference between gear oil and motor oil when I ran my finger through it. Ulgh,

So the problem is that my Moser 12 Bolt has a leaky gasket from the top bolt and it pissed on the back of the muffler and part of the gas tank. It all acumilated on the floor directly below the muffler so the first thing I thought of was something was dripping out the exhaust. Sorry guys I should have had a closer look before posting this.
Need a diff gasket and rear end service and that should be that unless there is damage in rear end. I'm really NOT an idiot Lol

Thanks to everyone who responded, much appreciated.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KJS408
I agree with you totally, before reading your post I had a closer look. Okay, so it is oil that's for sure, but I'm embarrassed to admit I mis-diagnosed the difference between gear oil and motor oil when I ran my finger through it. Ulgh,

So the problem is that my Moser 12 Bolt has a leaky gasket from the top bolt and it pissed on the back of the muffler and part of the gas tank. It all acumilated on the floor directly below the muffler so the first thing I thought of was something was dripping out the exhaust. Sorry guys I should have had a closer look before posting this.
Need a diff gasket and rear end service and that should be that unless there is damage in rear end. I'm really NOT an idiot Lol

Thanks to everyone who responded, much appreciated.
No prob, just lemme get that procharger and well call it even.

Quick Reply: Oil drip out the tail pipe.