Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers questions

I was thinking about getting some coated race pacesetters and my dad said he had some rattles after his headers on his trans am and suggested i not do it. I don't remember what brand he got but they were long tube. Do you have noises after your headers?

Also what is involved in getting the tsp ory and pacesetters to marry? Does this Y hit the K member?

I would really like to not grind my car up if that is possible. Also is removing the steering knuckle enough to get these in.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i have KOOKS and besides a minor adjustment i have no noises or rattles from them.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time you'd hear noise is if your motor mounts needed to be replaced. I have pacesetters and tsp ory and it fit well no rattling just get it up high and take the knuckle out. Remove the old heat shields too.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got the coated BBK LT headers and ORY-pipe combo and no rattles/noises here either, all for under $500.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

you will hear a slight ting-ting-ting noise from the exhaust pulses going through the tubes but it actually sounds good. If you decide to do headers, do yourself a big favor and get the poly motor mounts at the same time.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Sounds like a good idea. I just don't want to regret it.

I'll do the motor mounts as well, thanks.

How exactly is the exhaust note affected? Is it raspier or just louder? Im sure it sounds better.

Also is ground clearance something to worry about with this setup and strano springs?

Is it better to remove the steering knuckle or linkage for the install?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Perry125
Sounds like a good idea. I just don't want to regret it.

I'll do the motor mounts as well, thanks.

How exactly is the exhaust note affected? Is it raspier or just louder? Im sure it sounds better.

Also is ground clearance something to worry about with this setup and strano springs?

Is it better to remove the steering knuckle or linkage for the install?

Thanks
I love my Hookers, ( dont we all ) uh I mean the headers... They fit right in like a glove with verry little k member grinding. Literally took more time to remove the bolts from the stock mains than it did to slide the headers in place and the bolts were easy to get out BTW.It will be more raspy without cats if you go that way. I used the tsp ypipe and it fit really close to the floor pan with NO RUBBING, banging, ect. Getting it together was a bit of a challenge but this was in the driveway with a creeper and hand tools. Im stock height so dont know about clearance. Im glad I did it all at the same time, I dont know how you'd do motor mounts with manis or headers in without removing them.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Ok thank you very much.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

mine rattles the inside of the car when i have my cutout off on my hooker LT's
Old 04-18-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kooks 1 7/8, Kooks catted mid pipe, Magnaflow cat back, poly m/mounts. I cut nothing. I ground nothing. Headers fell into place. It took about 30 minutes to adjust from the headers back. Nothing hits, nothing rattles, and everything tucks up nicely against the body.

I have installed dozens (and I'm not exaggerating) of headers in my life. I have never, ever seen anything that fits and performs like Kooks. Every single set I've installed fits perfectly. There is a reason you pay so much...and it's worth every friggin' penny and then some.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

I have 2" drop springs with long tubes and ORY and I live in michigan where the roads are terrible. I scape the air dam for the radiator if im not careful but have not had issues with the y pipe hitting anything.