Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90/92mm TB adapter Plate to LS6 Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will throw my two cents in here quickly....

The problem I see (potentially) with the OP's line of thinking is the meat and potato's concerning the larger restrictions of this OEM intake are not being addressed.....namely the plenum, the runner shape, cross section, and taper....the entrance to the runner and the exit of the runner....etc. etc.

Its back to another classic analogy....if you have a hose or any type of system allowing some sort of fluid (or air) to pass through it....unless you address the most offensive restriction in the pipeline, making improvements any where else in the system will likely have little to no improvements in net flow (and ultimately HP if we are discussing an engine).

However, the size of the intake opening may have a slight positive effect on power and will most certainly improve throttle response because (as an example) a 15% throttle opening on a 90 mm blade is alot more airflow than a 15% throttle opening on a much smaller blade so the car will "feel" snappier in the SOTP for sure but on a dyno evaluating WOT numbers, the actual improvements seen from this mod may be very negligible however it wouldn't completely fall over to see 3-5 HP either. At the end of the day however personally I would rather save up longer, find a used 90 or 92mm FAST, consider having me port it which would double your gains and then head back to the dyno for a 20-25 RWHP improvement. You may see 4-5 times the gains (or more) for only 3X the $$$ invested.

Bottom line OP....give it a whirl....you could always use the larger TB for a FAST intake down the road you might find a deal on.

It would be interesting to see the results of the conversion plate and put all the speculation to rest....thats what real R&D is all about....proving or disproving a particular product or idea!

Good luck....look forward to the results should you choose to do the testing.

Cheers!
Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 04-26-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, I sure as hell didn't expact YOU to chime in here..... I thought you'd just laugh at the logic (wishful thinking) and shake your head.

I know this isn't going to be the new, "Holy ****! Go out and get this new product!" But for those of us on a set budget from the wife, I thought it would be pretty nice to be able to piece your system together, use it, saving the manifold for last. I mean let's face it, that polymer aint cheap, and it sure as hell isn't going down in price, so you kinda figure it will be the last item purchased.

You know, I'm not shooting for the moon here either. My car might see No Problem Raceway once or twice a year, and it's usually parked with my *** in the stands and a cold frosty in each hand. Albeit a band-aid, I thought it was a pretty neat idea.

Tony, agree with everything you said. Great to see your comment, and I can promise you when the time comes, you'll be doing my top end package.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ He's good for giving both sides of an argument. I figured if anyone would be able to throw some theory at this, it would be the guy who deals with it every day.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
We've never had a way to bolt a 90 or 92 to an LS6 to give a comparison before.
This must have been where some of our miscommunication came from. Specifically, as I already mentioned, TPIS has already done this and its been tested. The results are around this very website for inquisitive minds to locate.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:53 AM
The Scammer Hammer

I meant without having to modify the LS6 itself. I was kinda impressed though with the result TPIS got. However, I know with the reducer on there we won't see their results.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Excuse me for being rusty, as I cannot recall EVERY thread I read.....but I was under the impression the results from some threads were less then stellar, hence the reason the idea never really gained any ground. FAST is the go-to intake. Seems nothing can knock it off its pedestal....even a cheaper 90mm converted LS6.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:54 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Absolutely correct, 01SSredA4. However, there was a good thread on corvetteforums that showed a gain over the fast.... That was in 2004 though. A lifetime ago technologically. Since then, the bottom line is the fast is a MUCH better performer, so it's fizzled. Even that cost an arm and a leg though.

As stated, all this is is a band-aid to get you by until you can cough up the coin for the manifold. I just thought it was pretty nice to be able to piece your system together and use it too. And who knows... maybe only 5 or 8 HP, but its better than NO HP with your parts just sitting on the shelf waiting for your 800 - 1500 intake.

Then again, there may be a small portion of the market that simply will never be able to afford the fast, and they can still use a FTP 98, a 85 MAF, and a 90TB and get some extra ponies out of their system still utilizing an LS6.

I respect the FAST, I know the FAST is a gainer, hands-*******-down, but not everyone can afford the thing.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I believe one main reason why the TIPS modded LS6 never took off was quite simple. You supply the intake, pay $350 (or so) and they mod it. The reasoning was that used LS6 intakes sell for 300 to 350, (you sell yours) then buy a new FAST for 750, and you are pinching pennies with the differences in the price between a new fast and a modded LS6. Seems like a no-brainer. If they could have modded them for like $100, then I could see the market. They likely could never turn a profit at that price though.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I believe one main reason why the TIPS modded LS6 never took off was quite simple. You supply the intake, pay $350 (or so) and they mod it. The reasoning was that used LS6 intakes sell for 300 to 350, (you sell yours) then buy a new FAST for 750, and you are pinching pennies with the differences in the price between a new fast and a modded LS6. Seems like a no-brainer. If they could have modded them for like $100, then I could see the market. They likely could never turn a profit at that price though.
The TPIS modded LS6 manifold actually produced results very close to the FAST 90 intake. I agree - for the money the FAST was the way to go.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:54 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Hate to step in old **** and bump an ailing thread, but if I can find a 92mm TB locally, I'm going to try it and see what happens. If it fails miserably, then Shaner S3 it is. At least that should suffice till I scrape the funds for a FAST
Old 05-14-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran across this adapter on ebay the other day, and definitely found it interesting. I believe it can't be a drastic change, but if you happen to catch a great deal on a 90mm TB, throw that plate on that and give it a run. It's gotta help some.

It wouldn't be big on my to-do list, but like I said, catch a good deal on a 90mm and you want to mount it up. Sure.

Quick Reply: 90/92mm TB adapter Plate to LS6 Manifold