Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

don't buy parts from Racing Parts Depot

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't buy parts from Racing Parts Depot

I bought a 97-00 set of OBX headers from Racing Parts Depot on eBay.

http://myworld.ebay.com/racingpartsdepot/

After almost finishing the installation, I noticed the passenger's side air tube on the header was two back from the front rather than three back from the front. I knew that LG only made one version and supplied the 01-04 air tube, but OBX has two versions. I looked at some of the packaging and found a 01-04 label on one of the boxes.

I contacted Racing Parts Depot to let them know they shipped me the wrong parts. Racing Parts Depot insisted there was no difference between 97-00 and 01-04. After much insisting on my part that the air tubes are indeed in different locations, Racing Parts Depot told me I could return them and exchange. If I returned them, I would have to spend a lot of time removing the 01-04 set, pay $50 to ship them back, wait a few weeks for the 97-00 set to show up and spend a lot of time to install the 97-00 set. This didn't seem like a very good option to me.

The other option was to install the 01-04 air tube, 12561494. The list price is $175.10, but GM-Parts-Direct sells it for $89.30 plus shipping. I just purchased a LS6 intake manifold, so I can install the air tube during the intake swap (once I get the intake).

In the meantime, I added a sleeve to the current air tube to make it longer.

Racing Parts Depot was really terrible to work with. They wouldn't take any responsibility for shipping the wrong parts. They were not flexible with solutions, only giving me the option to return and exchange, no matter how inconvenient that would be for me. They could have apologized. They could have offered to give me a discount. Instead they took my money and ran. Buy OBX headers from somebody else.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can cut and and extend the metal tube for quite sometime without issue. I know someone who ran like that for 2 years.

However the tube swap is simple. You might find one over on corvetteforum for cheap.It would be a pain in the *** and costly to send them back. More than a new tube.

Many of the sellers on ebay have no clue what they are selling and just drop ship. I've dealt with one before with a similar issue. Sucks.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

many people remove the whole AIR system on their cars so I know it wouldnt be a problem finding one from a member for cheap but that is lame they didnt help you out.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

they actually may be the correct headers. my friend bought a set of lg's for his 99 and they were set up the same way. but lg included the conversion tube with the kit. still b.s. on the cust service though

Last edited by LT1SS; 04-24-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:58 PM
wbb
Teching In

hate it when they jack you had the same probolem from centerforce they treated me like i was an idiot so i called ram and got great service the right stuff and a discount/free hat shirt and stickers the guy even called a couple weeks later to check on my set up as hard as it is to make money these days you would think people would take better care of their customers...i know ram clutches has a custumer for life now....good luck
Old 04-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
many people remove the whole AIR system on their cars so I know it wouldnt be a problem finding one from a member for cheap but that is lame they didnt help you out.
what are the pros/cons to removing the whole air system?
Old 04-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tb30570
what are the pros/cons to removing the whole air system?
pros: minimal weight loss. cons: cant pass emissions. does nothing for performance
Old 04-24-2011, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1SS
pros: minimal weight loss. cons: cant pass emissions. does nothing for performance

lol, cant pass emissions.... really?

hptuners anyone?
Old 04-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BADD SS
lol, cant pass emissions.... really?

hptuners anyone?
not in idaho anyway, had to spend 600 dollars on an entire new system for mine. im not sure on tuning it out. i think you can afterall you can tune out o2 sensors
Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The biggest benefit of removing the A.I.R. system is the cleanliness of the engine and ease of getting your hands in there. That is one HUGE benefit of removing it.

If you're running cats and need to pass a sniffer test, the AIR system is necessary. If you don't have to pass a sniffer, it's absolutely useless and can be tuned out to not throw a check engine light. There's ZERO reason what so ever to keep an AIR system on any car that has headers unless you have to pass the sniffer.

Quick Reply: don't buy parts from Racing Parts Depot