Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Intake Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Stripped Intake Thread

Guys I have no idea how this happened but the front (driver side) intake bolt hole on my TFS215 head is all chewed up, it kind of looks as if the metal just crumbled around the threads. My question is simple, what is the best way to repair this WITHOUT removing the head? And what is under that hole? Is it a blind hole or does it actually go deeper into the motor? I was thinking of doing a time insert.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you removed the intake yet? i would first try running a tap down the threads and see if you can maybe a get a lil longer bolt to catch some good threads down lower
Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Not a bad idea, I have removed the intake and its pretty chewed up. My main concern is what lies below the threads.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

edit i guess i have misinformed , i just checked a set of heads and the hole does go through, crappy design gm

Last edited by tripblackls1; 04-26-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Worse comes to worse, Heli-Coil it. Just measure the bolt for depth and thread pitch and match a kit to it. Drill it out, tap it with the included tap and screw in the new threads. I did it on my buddy's lifter cup bolt.

Can get em at NAPA.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Im gonna check it out this weekend, im glad to hear it is a dead end hole. I will more than likely do a time insert.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
well its a blind or "dead hole" so it does not go through it just bottoms out
First I have heard of this, on my AFR's and all GM heads it is not blind and is directly above the lifters. I have posted photos of this in the past.

Pull the head unless you have a good way of keeping the aluminum shavings out of the lifters trays from which they will never get out.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

This is what I thought and worried about. I really dont want to pull the head!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trance565
This is what I thought and worried about. I really dont want to pull the head!
I think it is very high risk not to pull the head, especially with the location of the hole. I do have some photos of the back side of the head, but if you can find the underside head photos you will see what I mean.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Found a photo with Google, check the small holes just above the pushrod holes in the photo. That is where the intake bolts come through so anything that you do to make chips will fall right into the lifter tray.

Link to photo
Old 04-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Does anybody have a head they could look at real quick to verify. I am hearing different things and it would be real simple if someone had a head to look at.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no doubt its not a blind hole, It goes sraight through to the lifters. Personally I woooood take a chance on it, the little bit of aluminum shaving you make are just going to drop into the oil pan. It can't get into anything.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by O2Form
There is no doubt its not a blind hole, It goes sraight through to the lifters. Personally I woooood take a chance on it, the little bit of aluminum shaving you make are just going to drop into the oil pan. It can't get into anything.
????? what about the shavings that get past the oil pump screen and pushed into all the bearings? even if you did an oil change theres prob. more that will come down later while the engine is running
Old 04-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Im getting two differnt shops here in houston telling me it does NOT go through. Damn its scary sometimes trying to get info online!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by southsidecox
????? what about the shavings that get past the oil pump screen and pushed into all the bearings? even if you did an oil change theres prob. more that will come down later while the engine is running
BS those shaving are not going into anything AND yes the holes goes straight through so stop fussing over this and do as I said.

Just drill the hole out and install the timesert or helicoil then change the oil run the engine a few miles and change it again. The chips can only fall into the oil pan. They can't even get to the oil filter unless they are very very small, the oil pickup has a fine screen on it AND NOTHING is going past the oil filter.

Don't believe anything this guy above posted.

Don't be a *****. Honestly I woooodn't give you bad advice, I wooood do it to my car and i'm fussy as hell.

Plus if you use a little wheel bearing grease in the hole 1st all the chips will follow the drill bit OUT. DO IT..
Old 04-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

get on ls1 howto or similar site,go to an intake installation section,if gm didnt put that red sealer around the intake bolts from the factory then i would say that its a blind hole cause they wouldnt want to chance vacuum leaks,i just cant tell you for sure cause i dont have access to any parts rt now
Old 04-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by O2Form
BS those shaving are not going into anything AND yes the holes goes straight through so stop fussing over this and do as I said.

Just drill the hole out and install the timesert or helicoil then change the oil run the engine a few miles and change it again. The chips can only fall into the oil pan. They can't even get to the oil filter unless they are very very small, the oil pickup has a fine screen on it AND NOTHING is going past the oil filter.

Don't believe anything this guy above posted.

Don't be a *****.
yeah ,dont worry about metal shavings floating around in your engine,it was designed for that,do what he said,lol
Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Lol dont be a *****! Its a 402 stroker and a trick flow head, im not about to just start drillin and tapping **** without knowing where the shavings
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by southsidecox
yeah ,dont worry about metal shavings floating around in your engine,it was designed for that,do what he said,lol
Whats wrong with you? Do you know the oil pump pickup is screened? Do you know you have a oil filter? Do you know engines have parts failures all the time that generate debrie that the oil pump screen and oil filter are there to filter out?

WHAT DO YOU KNOW? NOTHING!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

thank you for using a tiny amount of common sense,unlike someone else, good luck keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Stripped Intake Thread