Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast 102mm with ls1 coolant tubes lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As is, the tube is so small I can't see the benefit it would provide with cooling #7 cyl. And smashed down even more, will let even less coolant flow through it.

From my understanding, the #7 cyl ring lands end up blowing apart at high RPM detonation at around 7500-8000 RPM. At that speed, you obviously can't hear the damage taking place until it's too late.

From what I've researched, the high RPM misfire or detonation is caused by LS1 coils that are not strong enough to fire at that RPM. The solution seems to be the more powerful truck coils which help eliminate failing spark at high RPM and your ring lands from blowing apart. I won't say for sure 100% that this will fix it, but it does make sense from what I've researched.

So, it's not so much the lack of cooling that causes the problem, but lack of a good spark that creates the problem. Again, this is just my opinion and doesn't necessarily mean I'm correct.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bramlok
As is, the tube is so small I can't see the benefit it would provide with cooling #7 cyl. And smashed down even more, will let even less coolant flow through it.

From my understanding, the #7 cyl ring lands end up blowing apart at high RPM detonation at around 7500-8000 RPM. At that speed, you obviously can't hear the damage taking place until it's too late.

From what I've researched, the high RPM misfire or detonation is caused by LS1 coils that are not strong enough to fire at that RPM. The solution seems to be the more powerful truck coils which help eliminate failing spark at high RPM and your ring lands from blowing apart. I won't say for sure 100% that this will fix it, but it does make sense from what I've researched.

So, it's not so much the lack of cooling that causes the problem, but lack of a good spark that creates the problem. Again, this is just my opinion and doesn't necessarily mean I'm correct.
I'm not sure how accurate this is....
Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Why would that cylinder be the most prone to detonation? Probly because it's hotter than all the other cylinders. It's beating a dead horse, just vent the rear cylinders which aids in the prevention of taking that cylinder out.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not a spark issue, otherwise you would see other cylinders having the same issue...#7 is always the problem area closely followed by #5 ...there are a few small things you can do that helps, I'm going to list a few "dummy" things as well cause it never surprises me how often I see low coolant, etc

-coolant level!!
-New radiator cap, over 80,000 your cap loses alot of its pressure holding abilities
-make a steam vent work, whether its this or some other type that goes over the manifold
-good fuel
-good fuel pump
-safe tune
-do not bounce off rev limiter, this cuts fuel and makes your motor run hotter, even though the sound is sweet
-I have ran 1 step cooler plug in only #7 before...sounds redneck but it helps

-10.5 to 11.0 compression TR6 plugs if 11.0-11.5 compression but a br7ef in #7..

-Cowl hoods help
-180 t-stat , tune for this , fans are controlled by the computer
Old 05-12-2015, 03:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back from the dead. Did this as well and it was surprisingly easy to do. Great thread.

Quick Reply: Fast 102mm with ls1 coolant tubes lots of pics