Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler and Temp Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Cooler and Temp Gauge Install

My track has mandated engine diapers for cars going 9.99 and faster. So I have to get one. I drive my car (almost an hour each way) to and from the track because I don't own a car trailer. So that means I'd have to drive out and back with the diaper installed on the engine. Which in therory will cut off the air flowing over the pan and retaining the engine and oil heat and possibly allowing the oil temps to get too hot. Which could cause engine damage.

So I ordered a Lingenfelter adapter (on the right). Then I found a Mocal adapter (on the left) with a built in thermostat.

Then I ordered a autometer phantom oil temp gauge (electric), and a Derale cooler with built in fan. Since I was going to install this behind my transmission cooler I wanted to help draw cool air through both coolers. They are in the bumper where the license plate goes, so it's too far away for the radiator fans to do much good.

Here I removed the factory block above the oil filter. Make sure you have a catch pan under there because it will drain a decent amount of oil.

All 3 adapters out on the bench.

Last edited by Frozen WS6; 05-02-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:51 PM
9 Second Club

Well after trying to fit the Mocal adapter in there. The fittings hit the block and the lower one was too low for me to be comfortable and was going to make changing the oil filter next to impossible.

So I went with the lingenfelter adapter. I have since moved the temp sensor from the bottom port to the front port but I had to get a m12x1.5 adapter to thread it in. because they tapped it to fit the stock temp sensors.

But I still wanted to run a Thermostat because in the spring and fall the air temps are in the low 40's. So at those temps the oil won't even need to run through a cooler.
So I bought the Mocal inline oil cooler thermostat.

It's a close fit but there's enough room.
Here's a test fit of the lingenfelter adapter.

Here I was getting the -8 lines in the correct positions so they weren't touching the headers or any moving parts. The blue wire is the sender wire for my oil temp gauge.

Last edited by Frozen WS6; 05-02-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, you wanna sell the Mocal?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

Here are a couple more pics of it installed.
Looking up from the bottom.

Looking back from the front.

The Mocal inline thermostat installed. The bracket that came with it was pretty weak so I bent up another one to fit over there's and it worked great.

The cooler installed in the bumper. I have my bumper support out so I believe that is the only way to beable to mount it here. I mounted it behind my transmission cooler and the fan draws air through both coolers.

The reason the oil filter looks old or used. Brake cleaner was a good friend of mine (be sure to only spray it after everything has been installed or spray it on to a rag and wipe an area clean. You DO NOT want to get any of it in the oil). After the original install, I went for a test drive and had leaks. So I had to remove everything and reinstall it all.
I finally went for another test drive yesterday. 70 miles round trip through both city and short highway. It stayed at about 225 the whole time very consistant and no more leaks. Now it's time to order my engine diaper and see what happens.
It was a pain to fit my hands without removing anything from the engine to make extra room.

Last edited by Frozen WS6; 05-02-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

I wonder if the heat from that header pipe will affect the signal to the oil temp gauge? Damn that is close.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:15 PM
9 Second Club

It was hard to get clear pics of some of the things. There is atleast a 1/4 inch between the sender, line, and the headers. So I don't think it should. But I'm going to get some heat wrap to cover the wire with.

The mocal adapter with built in thermostat may fit with different fittings on it. But I don't have the resources up here to mess with it locally. So It's just a expensive paper weight.

Last edited by Frozen WS6; 05-02-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Frozen WS6
The mocal adapter with built in thermostat may fit with different fittings on it. But I don't have the resources up here to mess with it locally. So It's just a expensive paper weight.
Like I asked earlier, would you like to sell it?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:28 PM
9 Second Club

I forgot the pic of the gauge.

Last edited by Frozen WS6; 05-02-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Like I asked earlier, would you like to sell it?
I'll have to think about it and see how much I have into it. Freight is brutal to get things up here and back down south.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Cool. You may not make back what you purchased it for, but any sale would be better than a $160 paper weight.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice work. I've had a cooler for several years now. B &M with a fan and a modified truck cooler adaptor. I only have a T stat on the fan. The oil does run a little cool during our couple weeks of winter. These cars run hot they should of had one from the factory. The truck adaptor keeps the lines nice and close to the block.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:12 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Cool. You may not make back what you purchased it for, but any sale would be better than a $160 paper weight.
True. When I sell stuff I sell things at a fair price.

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
Nice work. I've had a cooler for several years now. B &M with a fan and a modified truck cooler adaptor. I only have a T stat on the fan. The oil does run a little cool during our couple weeks of winter. These cars run hot they should of had one from the factory. The truck adaptor keeps the lines nice and close to the block.
Thanks. I thought about going that way with factory parts (our dealers suck. they always want a vin number to look anything up, so no vin no luck), my original plan was to have the adapter with t-stat all simplified into one unit. But that didn't work out and I had already ordered the lingenfelter adapter and it was here on my bench. I was also concerned about how much lower the oil filter would sit with a sandwich adapter my car sits so low. Depending on which brand I looked at some were a 1/2 inch lower, and some were 1 inch lower (which would put it level or lower then my headers).
Old 05-14-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I was considering using a Mocal sandwich adapter, but didn't want the filter hanging below the pan. I hoped the Mocal block adapter would fit until I read your review. I've read I should use no less than -10AN lines though. I have ARH 1.75" headers, what do you have?

What do you mean about the modified truck cooler? Is the modification adding the tstat? I found this thread, but he also used -8AN:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...il-cooler.html

Last edited by JimMueller; 05-14-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 AM
9 Second Club

In all of my research (I spent all winter looking into this) I couldn't find any info on line size. The coolers with fans I found had -8 ends hardlined on them, so even if I fed it with -10 it would still get reduced with the cooler its self and it was Mocal that gave me the option to run -8 or -10. The Factory oil cooler setup on my truck (2500 hd) is only a -8 size also. If I was road racing or something like that I would go -10 no question. But up here our air temps are mostly in the 60 to 70's and I drag race and the only time I'll have the engine diaper on is if I'm heading out to the track.
Mocal does Alot of boat setups. Boats are built to run upper rpms ALL day and they don't have any issues. The last place you'd want to have a engine failure is 50 miles out in the ocean.

My headers are kooks 1 7/8 stepped to 2 w/ 3.5 collectors.

In my research I had found some guys that had used the truck sandwich adapter, which I don't believe has a thermostat in it. There wasn't any talk about modifying them so maybe 1lejohn could chime in on that.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:17 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks nice! This answered a few questions for me and others, I'm sure.

Just quit using Fram oil filters........
Old 05-15-2011, 09:30 PM
9 Second Club

Lol. It's almost impossible to get these in the correct size let a lone a better one. I'd have to order them from the lower 48 and pay rediculous freight charges (anywhere from $40 on up in freight alone). And as much as I change the oil and filter that will get expensive fast.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

As I would imagine GM trucks are popular in Alaska, have you considered a truck filter? It's slightly longer. I run a truck length filter, my car is lowered and the roads here in NYC are ridiculously bad yet it's never been hit.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 PM
9 Second Club

This is pretty much a truck state for sure (8 months of winter). I've thought about it but it's slammed. The headers have drug changing lanes before. We have trenches on our roads. So I don't want anything lower then the headers.

I've heard you guys have pot holes large enough to swallow cars. lol
Old 05-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Frozen WS6
My track has mandated engine diapers for cars going 9.99 and faster. So I have to get one. I drive my car (almost an hour each way) to and from the track because I don't own a car trailer. So that means I'd have to drive out and back with the diaper installed on the engine. Which in therory will cut off the air flowing over the pan and retaining the engine and oil heat and possibly allowing the oil temps to get too hot. Which could cause engine damage.

So I ordered a Lingenfelter adapter (on the right). Then I found a Mocal adapter (on the left) with a built in thermostat.

Then I ordered a autometer phantom oil temp gauge (electric), and a Derale cooler with built in fan. Since I was going to install this behind my transmission cooler I wanted to help draw cool air through both coolers. They are in the bumper where the license plate goes, so it's too far away for the radiator fans to do much good.

Here I removed the factory block above the oil filter. Make sure you have a catch pan under there because it will drain a decent amount of oil.

All 3 adapters out on the bench.
Do you know the GM part number of the factory block, or want to sell the factory block?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:05 AM
9 Second Club

I don't have the part number. You'll have to call your dealer for that.
I'm keeping that incase I even need to take it all off.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler and Temp Gauge Install