Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Cable Question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Throttle Cable Question.

Ok, so here is the deal. I am getting rid of that Cruise Control module, or whatever that thing is that is on the passenger side of the car where the throttle cable goes into. I ordered a new Lokar Throttle cable just to run it directly to the TB. My question is; how hard is it to eliminate this bullshit. I just want to know what I should look out for before starting this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

On the passenger side ??? I believe the cruise and module are on the Drivers side under the front of the fender in front of the tire. Perhaps post a pic so we know exactly what you are dealing with.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he is talking about the pulley system the throttle cables attach too. The system isn't too hard to remove, just be sure to get the module out as well.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corpserodeo666
Ok, so here is the deal. I am getting rid of that Cruise Control module, or whatever that thing is that is on the passenger side of the car where the throttle cable goes into. I ordered a new Lokar Throttle cable just to run it directly to the TB. My question is; how hard is it to eliminate this bullshit. I just want to know what I should look out for before starting this.

Thanks in advance.
unless you are being forced to run it due to cable length on a conversion, i would shy away from the Lokar cable.
They're shiny and pretty, but also a pain in the ***.

I assume this is for an fbody.... just order a stock cable for a car that did not have traction control.. its cheaper, and it will fit exactly like the stock one does on the throttlebody... It goes DIRECTLY from the pedal to the throttlebody.. no bullshit bellcrank inbetween. its also the perfect length.

doing this, you lose cruise control. if you want to keep cruise control, you will need to get the non-TCS cruise control box and wire it in.
this is basically a box with a second throttle cable coming out of it. you also hook this to that "pin" on the side of the throttlebody cam. its why you have a spot for 2 cables on that bracket on the intake manifold.
you can fit the cruise parts just like stock, but wiring it up will require fitting a new connector.
all the wiring info is in the conversions and hybrids section. I have done it before on conversions, but I dont know it off the top of my head to tell you here...
Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Basically this is almost a drag car. I have a different throttle body and a I have a Vic Jr. intake with an elbow. I have removed everything that has to do with cruise control besides that throttle box on the passenger side. Thanks for the reply MrDude 1, ill take a look in the hybrids/conversions section.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Basically this is almost a drag car. I have a different throttle body and a I have a Vic Jr. intake with an elbow. I have removed everything that has to do with cruise control besides that throttle box on the passenger side. Thanks for the reply MrDude 1, ill take a look in the hybrids/conversions section.

oh. thats easy
you want a throttle cable for either a TBI truck, or a TBI thirdgen.. (or a carbed thirdgen)

If you run the 3rdgen one, you'll need to file out the firewall hole a bit bigger.. it wont quite clip in right.

if you run a later model truck one (like a newer S10 for example) then it should just clip in.
a trip to your local salvage yard would score you one for pennies...
just measure your pedal hole, and cable lengths before you leave...
Old 06-03-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

So I should just forget about this one right?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-TC1000LS148U
Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

So I should just forget about this one right?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-TC1000LS148U
its $60 for a $12 cable, and wont plug into your firewall hole, or connect easily to either end...
and its 48" long.. is that the length you need/want?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

Thats the length I have laying around the shop actually. I just went through all the stuff we have here and I have that Lokar Cable actually. Is that too long? Or will it work? It's the 48" one.

Quick Reply: Throttle Cable Question.