Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obx headers came in....a little worried

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkman
Two 2.5 inch pipes will flow 25% more than a single three inch pipe.

Whether the downstream three inch pipe is a restriction depends since the exhaust gas cool and contract, and therefore occupy less space the farther downstream they travel.

Sounds perfect then, just like the BBK setup! I wont ever go more than stock internals anyways.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darkman
My comparisons are based on the exponential relationships from Weymouth flow formula, which is commonly used for designing gas piping systems. The flow relationships cannot be estimated or compared using pipe cross section comparisons.

The complexity of the underlying formulas can be seen here.

http://www.psig.org/papers/2000/0112.pdf

The Weymouth formula can be reduced to the rule of thumb stated earlier, which is that the doubling of pipe diameter will yield a 6-fold increase in flow rate capacity.
Not trying to start anything I just love to learn, but I read through that information and I am interested in which formula you used to come up with the 6% increase. Every formula I looked at and maybe I missed one or two because there were many. Each time "D" diameter increases flow increased.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by got milk??
Not trying to start anything I just love to learn, but I read through that information and I am interested in which formula you used to come up with the 6% increase. Every formula I looked at and maybe I missed one or two because there were many. Each time "D" diameter increases flow increased.
I am not sure where I said 6%, but I used a short form of the Weymouth formula, which indicates that the relative flow factor for a specific pipe diameter can be approximated using the exponent of 2.58. The table below demostrates the application.

Diameter, Exponent, Flow Factor
1, 2.58, 1
2, 2.58, 5.979396995
2.25, 2.58, 8.102721216
2.5, 2.58, 10.63372004
3, 2.58, 17.02052051
3.5, 2.58, 25.33352098
4, 2.58, 35.75318842

I do consulting work on natural gas pipelines where a common rule thumb using this exponential relationship states that one 24 inch pipeline equates to three 16 inch pipelines in terms of flow capacity (all else being equal).
Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

You want almost 3"...almost every header on the market is 3" for a reason. This kind of stuff is common with ebay headers...
Old 06-05-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
You want almost 3"...almost every header on the market is 3" for a reason. This kind of stuff is common with ebay headers...
Do you steer customers away from the BBK Headers? Just curious if the 3" gains are really worth it over the 2.5".
Old 06-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Do you steer customers away from the BBK Headers? Just curious if the 3" gains are really worth it over the 2.5".
You can run basically stock on 2.5"" collectors..but any mods, and they would become a bottleneck.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Launching!

I plan one putting them on next week.

As for the "you get what you pay for comments".......what I got is stainless steel headers. I could care less that they aren't brand name and didnt cost an arm and a leg. Stainless steel headers for around $500 is still a good deal in my book even if the y pipe is less than perfect. When the y pipe becomes a bottle neck, i'll just have an exhaust shop weld in a flowmaster merge setup. It'll still be a cheap, but high quality stainless setup......I could care less that OBX is sold on ebay.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by QIK E

As for the "you get what you pay for comments".......what I got is stainless steel headers. I could care less that they aren't brand name and didnt cost an arm and a leg. Stainless steel headers for around $500 is still a good deal in my book even if the y pipe is less than perfect. When the y pipe becomes a bottle neck, i'll just have an exhaust shop weld in a flowmaster merge setup. It'll still be a cheap, but high quality stainless setup......I could care less that OBX is sold on ebay.

Are there any issues welding stainless steel and standard steel?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:31 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

. I'm eventually shooting for 500hp
Then you should not have bought shitty headers. Sell them and buy Kooks or American.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

if he wants 500hp all he has to do is spray a 150 on his bolt on car. he could prob achieve that with manifolds if he really tried.

i have looked at headers like these for a long time. knowing the car won't ever eclipse the bolt-on stage, they seem very appealing. however, i'd buy just a set of headers and have a y custom made.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

I wouldn't go that far. Have you actually compared them to to a set of "quality" stainless headers? I have, and there are a lot of differences.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Launching!

By quality, I mean the welds are clean and they are stainless. By most accounts they go on well with minimal BAH use and don't have clearance issues......I don't give a **** about what YOUR definition of quality is so don't even start.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:16 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Dont bother educating people on what you know MarylandSpeed. QIK E looked at the welds!!! clearly he knows what he is talking about. You can take your knowledge, experience, and intelligence and shove it!!!

LMAO QIK E you are dumbass. good luck with your build.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Wow HTX, grow up. If you're not going to post pertinent or insightful comments, then don't post at all. People like you, are what ruin forums. Go spread your "knowledge" and "experience" elsewhere
Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Maryland Speed very much knows what he is talking about and you dont. He offered you insite and you told him to shut up... you are an idiot.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Judging by your incorrect spelling/grammar and gratuitous use of swearing, I'd say the only idiot in here is you my friend. That's off topic though let's move on.

Better yet, this thread is dead. I've found out what I needed to know. Thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

I don't give a **** about what YOUR definition of quality is so don't even start.
Of course you don't give a damn what I have to say....or anyone else for that matter. How else could you still feel good about your purchase? I would however recommend not running around saying you got "a set of quality headers" when you have obviously not had a set of quality headers to compare them to. Not to mention headers are much cheaper to make when you copy other companies designs. Either way..good luck with that 2.5" Y-pipe.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Just because a company copies another companies design, doesn't make it low quality. I do care about what other people say or else I wouldn't have started this topic, but judging by your tone in previous post, I could tell you were just going to rag on these headers so I was just going to save you some typing. Thanks for you opinion again, but you had already got your point across earlier. I said earlier that had I known they came with a 2.5" Y , I probably would have went with pacesetters.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

they are good headers over all. i dont see how brand names differ in quality and then you say when copying a brand name you will get the same result..that means anyone can do quality headers. OP do as you said and get a FM merge if you really feel bad about it, that will do.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the advice. I probably will do that when I find a good exhaust shop around town

Quick Reply: Obx headers came in....a little worried