Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need lightweight battery recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTA
That doesnt mean all places will screw you over. Craftsman tools from sears don't. If it breaks, you get it replaced no questions asked.

Not entirely true. If the person at the counter thinks the tool has been abused they can refuse to replace the tool.That's Sears policy and they gladly let me know the last time I took a ratchet in for replacement.

Try taking a banged up 15yr old ratchet in and they might give you grief.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

So none of the Hawker batteries have the correct thread holes for the bolts on the cables and the posts that Hawker sells for the battery also do not work with the wiring/cables on our cars. Sorry, Im just trying to stay on the same page. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThaBeaSSt
So none of the Hawker batteries have the correct thread holes for the bolts on the cables and the posts that Hawker sells for the battery also do not work with the wiring/cables on our cars. Sorry, Im just trying to stay on the same page. Thanks.
Right. You have to buy the $10.95 SAE post kit along with the battery. Then you can attach your stock cables to the Hawker battery.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

I thought that you said the post kit that they sell doesnt work as well.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

I thought that you said the post kit that they sell doesnt work as well.
I don't remember saying that. I can't think of a reason why I would. I think the post kit they sell is the best solution. That is why I bought the post kit with the Hawker battery. It hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't actually seen anything.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Im terribly sorry for making this so difficult. Which part number do I need as far as the battery goes? Which series do I need? As I mentioned before, I added 2 switches and about to add another one, and I was also thinking of doing an electric water pump, so I need one thats going to supply enough power and not crap out shortly down the road. Can I use this battery for everyday use, or will it have to be swapped out only for track use? Last but not least, you said buying the SAE post kit is the best solution, what am I going to have the modify, change, etc. for everything to work and be properly assembled? The post kit will replace the original posts that are on the car now, or do they adapt to them so that you can put them in the battery? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

The battery is only there to start your car, not run anything after it's started. The alternator is the power supply while the car is running and to recharge the battery.

I did both and made my cables from parts from Mcmaster-Carr. No problems. Got the battery from http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ODY-PC925MJT Works great
Old 03-02-2004, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Im terribly sorry for making this so difficult.
No sweat
Which part number do I need as far as the battery goes? Which series do I need?
Sorry, I ordered over the phone since I called to ask about the SAE post kit, so I don't have a part number. It was www.gotbatteries.com and I bought the "PC680 - Hawker Odyssey dry cell battery" and the SAE battery post kit that goes with it.
As I mentioned before, I added 2 switches and about to add another one, and I was also thinking of doing an electric water pump, so I need one thats going to supply enough power and not crap out shortly down the road.
Like the other post says - when running it runs on the alternator. The battery is only used to start the engine. The only possible exception is if you have a huge kicker or something that draws more than the alternator can put out. But then any battery would eventually fail.
Can I use this battery for everyday use, or will it have to be swapped out only for track use?
Several others have said they use it for daily use. I plan to. I can't really say if you should
Last but not least, you said buying the SAE post kit is the best solution, what am I going to have the modify, change, etc. for everything to work and be properly assembled?
You will still have to arrange a new retainer for the battery - something to hold it in place. I saw an $80 bracket at one site, and more expensive ones elsewhere. I think it was mentioned that one of the vendors on the right has one. I plan to make my own hold down but don't know what you are capable of. If you can't fabricate, you will need to buy something. Or stick with the stock battery.
The post kit will replace the original posts that are on the car now, or do they adapt to them so that you can put them in the battery?
The post kit adapts the Hawker battery so that you can connect your cables to the Hawker the same as you would to the OEM battery.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Theres a lot of posts here and thats great, but as I was reading all of them again, I only noticed 3 brands were even mentioned: SVR, Hawker, and Baker. 3 in which recommended the Hawker. I havent made up my mind just yet because I wanted to know if there were other companys out there that are really reputable. Would Hawker be the most recommend, best one to get, the most repuatable, etc.? I just want to do this one time, so Im just trying to make sure that I get everything right. Also one thing that keeps bugging me is it going to last and is it going to give me problems. Id like to keep the battery in there for good or at least until it goes bad. I dont want to have to change it out or have to recharge it because it doesnt want to hold a charge.

CamaroCain: I looked up the part number you were talking about, but it didnt come up and none of the part numbers came close to matching. I just wanted to see if yours is the same as the one Critter is suggesting. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Theres a lot of posts here and thats great, but as I was reading all of them again, I only noticed 3 brands were even mentioned: SVR, Hawker, and Baker. 3 in which recommended the Hawker. I havent made up my mind just yet because I wanted to know if there were other companys out there that are really reputable. Would Hawker be the most recommend, best one to get, the most repuatable, etc.? I just want to do this one time, so Im just trying to make sure that I get everything right. Also one thing that keeps bugging me is it going to last and is it going to give me problems. Id like to keep the battery in there for good or at least until it goes bad. I dont want to have to change it out or have to recharge it because it doesnt want to hold a charge.

CamaroCain: I looked up the part number you were talking about, but it didnt come up and none of the part numbers came close to matching. I just wanted to see if yours is the same as the one Critter is suggesting. Thanks.
Does this help?
http://www.gotbatteries.com/ProductP...ctNum=37L105S1
Old 03-03-2004, 03:26 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this really doesn't help the discussion at all, but I thought i'd throw this in for Optima brand batteries. I worked in Auto Parts for a few years and I can testify to them being the BEST battery on the off-shelf market. I've used every battery out there, and haven't found something that even came half as close. I let one of my Optima's sit on the CONCRETE for over a YEAR, threw it in a car and it cranked right up with no hesitation...

FWIW, Optima's are definately worth the money..

josh
Old 03-03-2004, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
Does this help?
Is that the part number you are running because the 1st one you gave me doesnt match up at all. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Damian
FWIW, Optima's are definately worth the money. josh
But...are they light? This is the whole reason Im doing this is to take some weight off the car. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Theres a lot of posts here and thats great, but as I was reading all of them again, I only noticed 3 brands were even mentioned: SVR, Hawker, and Baker. 3 in which recommended the Hawker.
From my standpoint, that is because there aren't very many viable options. You have to realize that you aren't buying a car battery here. All of these, and many others too, are motorcycle batteries or garden tractor batteries or whatever. What I (and I presume others) are trying to do is find the lightest weight battery that will still start the car properly. Maybe you can't crank for 10 minutes in -20*F weather, but I (we?) don't care. Too light, too small, and the car may not start when you want it to. Bigger, heavier may crank it for 10 minutes, but waste weight on unneeded functionality. The Optima is definately a better battery for an auto. In fact, it may even be an auto battery. But it is much heavier than the Hawker. The reason I chose the Hawker is: 1) They are fully specified. Their site has reams of data. 2) They are designed for high cranking power, which is what I want if I am trying to start my high compressing LS1 with a motorcycle battery. There are certainly cheaper batteries than the Hawker, but they don't have those two features.
I havent made up my mind just yet because I wanted to know if there were other companys out there that are really reputable.
I don't know how you will figure that out other than a poll for experience. Or perhaps look at what others sell. Most of the small batteries sold by speed shops are Hawker Odyssey, often relabeled and at much higher prices than buying direct. I guess that should give one some confidence.
Would Hawker be the most recommend, best one to get, the most repuatable, etc.? I just want to do this one time, so Im just trying to make sure that I get everything right. Also one thing that keeps bugging me is it going to last and is it going to give me problems. Id like to keep the battery in there for good or at least until it goes bad. I dont want to have to change it out or have to recharge it because it doesnt want to hold a charge.
Once again, if that is your primary concern, stick with the stocker. Or better yet, get the Optima and trade some weight savings for reliability and peace of mind (and ease of install).
Old 03-03-2004, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Ok, you went with the PC680 (Hawker Odyssey) while CamaroCain went with the G16EP (Hawker Genesis), whats the difference between the 2 and what made you go with that particular model? CamaroCain, whats your reason for going with the model that you posted? Sorry for all the questions, but I do appreciate everyones help. Im just going to go ahead and get a Hawker and be done with it, but I want to get the right one. Thank you so much.

By the way, I was looking at those SAE posts, how do they work?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Go check this place out and look up this part number. Its only 13.5# and like i said, no starting problems or anything, works great and cost around $70 to your door.
Hi Lynda. What'd you use for battery hold down and related hardware? Thanks. WJ.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Damian: Hi Josh. Aren't those Optima batteries HEAVY?? WJ.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Ok, you went with the PC680 (Hawker Odyssey) while CamaroCain went with the G16EP (Hawker Genesis), whats the difference between the 2 and what made you go with that particular model?
The Odyssey has thicker plates to handle vibration better than the Genesis. Otherwise they are the same. I chose the Odyssey over the Genesis since I plan to use it year round and I drive 50 miles a day. I have no idea whether is was a wise decision, but I felt the extra insurance was cheap, both in cost and weight.
By the way, I was looking at those SAE posts, how do they work?
They screw into the battery and then the stock cables screw into them.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

you don't have to buy any different posts for the hawker. just take the ends off of your stock cables and tighten them down with the supplied hardware. i fashioned a metal strap over the battery to hold it down. it clamps under the coolant res. and then gets bolted down by the stock clamp bolt.

this is the battery i have and it runs fine. the hawker/genisis is what the dynabat is as well as the oddyssey, just a whole lot cheaper.
http://www.gotbatteries.com/ProductP...ctNum=37L105S1
Old 03-04-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Is that the part number you are running because the 1st one you gave me doesnt match up at all. Thanks.
It is the same thing. From the home page I clicked on "Sealed Lead Acid" to the left, then clicked on Hawker Energy, and then model #0769-2007
Ok, you went with the PC680 (Hawker Odyssey) while CamaroCain went with the G16EP (Hawker Genesis), whats the difference between the 2 and what made you go with that particular model? CamaroCain, whats your reason for going with the model that you posted? Sorry for all the questions, but I do appreciate everyones help. Im just going to go ahead and get a Hawker and be done with it, but I want to get the right one. Thank you so much.
I went with that one because its black and it matches the car....j/k...that is the same part # i was given by some else i knew that had one
Hi Lynda. What'd you use for battery hold down and related hardware? Thanks. WJ
If I remember tomorrow i will take a picture for you guys
Old 03-04-2004, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

If I remember tomorrow i will take a picture for you guys
If the battery you have is the one in the link that you posted, its the same one as White Fire'99's and the one in the pic he posted.