Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need lightweight battery recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need lightweight battery recommendations.

Well, Im putting my car on a diet and I wanted to go with a lightweight battery, however, Ive added a few items that takes up more juice and I plan on buying an electric water pump. Will I need a battery that puts out more power since I have more items that use more power. If so, I guess Im looking for a lightweight battery with more power. Which brand, model, series, etc. do you recommend? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

SVR's work great for me, I had the SVR-14 (11.5 lbs) in my car for the entire driving season here in Michigan. check out the website http://www.svrbatteries.com/motorcycle_line.html if you want a little more power go with a SVR-18 (17 lbs) it will still be about half the weight of stock.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:21 AM

I've been using a very small battery since I got my car in 99'. I bought my battery from Baker Precision. It's : 125/PB19 20/AMP Hr. 12V
I paid $90. www.bakerprecision.com
Old 02-26-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

www.gotbatteries.com
0769-2007 i believe is the one I have, i am not able to get that info for sure right now, but this is the place i bought it from. i have never once had a problem starting up the car, or anything else, it works great and i am very happy with it.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

If I was to go with a light weight battery, would it save me the trouble of having to relocate it? Also, are the Optima batteries just a brand that is "cool" to have or to say that you have one, or does it serve a purpose for the price? Are they light weight? Any other suggestions? Thanks
Old 02-28-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

relocated stock (heavy) battery is the best (I think). It puts a big piece of ballast over the right rear tire and will help traction (did for me).

I have wondereded about the Optima battery but never could decide if they were really worth the extra money.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

http://www.svrbatteries.com/battery_page.php?bid=21
The SVR-28 is lighter than stock but still has 600 CCA. I've had mine in my '99 for about 1 year. No problems.
John
Old 02-28-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an Optima, definitly lighter than stock, but probably not as light as you would like. They also put a large hole in your wallet.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

hawker is the one you want,

gotbatteries.com
Old 02-29-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I have an Optima, definitly lighter than stock, but probably not as light as you would like. They also put a large hole in your wallet.
Don't they have a lifetime warranty or something? I think that'd be worth the extra cash.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackTA
Don't they have a lifetime warranty or something? I think that'd be worth the extra cash.
Lifetime warranty! I have a lifetime warranty storry for you. A few years ago, when the exhaust system on my Beretta gave up at 50K, I took it to Midas because of the heavily advertised lifetime warranty and got everything replaced for 3/4 of what it would have cost at Chevy. 20K later, the exhaust was bad again. Then and only then did Midas tell me the warranty was only on the muffler. The pipes were my problem. I took it to Chevy, paid 25% more, and got 50K of of that exhaust system. Caveat emptor.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

That doesnt mean all places will screw you over. Craftsman tools from sears don't. If it breaks, you get it replaced no questions asked.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont think they have the lifetime warranty. On the top you have to mark the date when purchased, so why would they need to know that if it had a lifetime warranty. If it does, well then sweet!
Old 02-29-2004, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackTA
That doesnt mean all places will screw you over. Craftsman tools from sears don't. If it breaks, you get it replaced no questions asked.
Nor does it mean that none will. As I said, caveat emptor. BTW, I use only Craftsman tools and have had more than one replaced over the years.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
www.gotbatteries.com
0769-2007 i believe is the one I have, i am not able to get that info for sure right now, but this is the place i bought it from. i have never once had a problem starting up the car, or anything else, it works great and i am very happy with it.
Go check this place out and look up this part number. Its only 13.5# and like i said, no starting problems or anything, works great and cost around $70 to your door.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

So are these Hawker batteries something I can use for everyday use or is it just something you swap when you go to the track? Do they provide enough power as a regular battery would? Ive added a few items that require power such as a line lock, lockup swtich, and I was thinking of getting an electric water pump which is going to take more power, will this Hawker battery be enough? Are there different models with more power, or is the number you gave me good enough? Also, what kind of warranty do they have? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

I am researching light batteries, and thought this info might be useful to others. My questions were:
1) What is the difference between Hawker Genesis and Hawker Odyssey?
2) The SAE battery posts for above are 4mm male, what is the female?
From PPS aka gotbatteries.com:
The Hawker Odyssey is designed for auto applications. It has thicker plates
to help handle the vibration. Otherwise most equivalent models are
identical. You will need the battery post for all auto applications. They
work on both the older post type terminal and the newer internally threaded
terminal. If you have any other questions please email us or call us at
1-800-551-5645.
When you look at these, the Odyssey is a pound or so heavier than the Genesis, due to the thicker plates I presume, and both can be had in a metal jacket that improves the temperature resistance of the battery, at the cost of another pound or so.

I'm still thinkin'
Old 03-01-2004, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Do any of the Hawker batteries have the screw in side posts? If not, then how am I going to hook up the battery? Whats a metal jacket? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThaBeaSSt
Do any of the Hawker batteries have the screw in side posts? If not, then how am I going to hook up the battery?
Again, from my research:
1) The holes in the Hawker (either type) are 6mm. The $10.95 posts that that PPS sells for use with them are a post that old style cables fit onto with a 6mm male thread to screw into the battery and (per PPS) a female thread in the top to screw the late model cables into. I measured 3/8-16 thread on that. You probably have to lay the battery down, but that is fine - it is sealed.
2) You can pull the 3/8-16 bolts from your cables and use the 6mm bolts that come with the battery (and perhaps some washers).
3) Make an L-shaped copper adapter that bolts to the battery with the 6mm bolts and is tapped 3/8-16 for the stock battery cables. You can probably leave the battery stand up.
4) I forget the rest - those are my choices in order. In fact, I ordered the posts with my battery a little while ago.
Whats a metal jacket? Thanks.
As best as I can tell, it is a metal case that surrounds the body of the battery to protect it physically and give it better resistance to high temperatures.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its 5 years for the red top 2 for the yellow top
The yellow is supposed to be better for more powering stuff.. but since people use it for crazy stuff(low riders,sub contests) they can't warranty it..
sorry for semi hijacking your thread