Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need lightweight battery recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaBeaSSt
If the battery you have is the one in the link that you posted, its the same one as White Fire'99's and the one in the pic he posted.
I am posting a picture for the guy that wanted to know how the battery was held down here it is, hope it works.
Attached Thumbnails Need lightweight battery recommendations.-hawkerbattery-002.jpg  
Old 03-04-2004, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by White Fire'99
the hawker/genisis is what the dynabat is as well as the oddyssey, just a whole lot cheaper.
http://www.gotbatteries.com/ProductP...ctNum=37L105S1
The Odyssey is the same as the Genisis but thicker plates to handle vibration better and is only $5 more from www.gotbatteries.com
Old 03-04-2004, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

What plates are you referring to and what vibrations are you talking about?

CamaroCain: Is it ok to lay the battery down the way you have it in your pic? Why did you do that anyway? Did you have to buy the SAE posts for your particular battery? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

CamaroCain: Is it ok to lay the battery down the way you have it in your pic? Why did you do that anyway? Did you have to buy the SAE posts for your particular battery? Thanks.
mine is laid down just like that as well as tons of other peoples. the kit a sponser sells converts it to laying on its side just like that but elivated. its sealed so there is no problems. you lay it down so you can hook the terminals up without modification. you don't need the sae posts. you can get them if you want but its up to you. you can just take the rubber end off the wire and expose the metal end on the wire and use the supplied bolt to attach to the battery.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by critter
The Odyssey is the same as the Genisis but thicker plates to handle vibration better and is only $5 more from www.gotbatteries.com
i wasn't talking about the new hawker/oddyssey batterie. i was refering to the older version that was just the oddyssey and sold for like 125, and the dynabatt that sells for 160.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

The plates that make up the battery. There are two kinds and they hang in the electrolyte. The chemical reaction among the two different kinds of plates and the electrolyte is how they store electricity. The vibrations are the ones from a pot hole or turning the engine 6400, or whatever. They are going to get transfered to the battery in some degree unless you shock mount it. Now, I don't think vibration is going to be a big issue, but I popped for the Hawker Odyssey for a little extra safety.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by White Fire'99
i wasn't talking about the new hawker/oddyssey batterie. i was refering to the older version that was just the oddyssey and sold for like 125, and the dynabatt that sells for 160.
Ah. Since we were talking about the Hawker Odyssey, I assumed you were too.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

What could the vibrations do to the battery? Just curious because you bought that particular series for extra safety.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

What could the vibrations do to the battery? Just curious because you bought that particular series for extra safety.
Vibrations will crack or break the plates, reducing the battery capacity. If enough break, you don't have enough capacity left to start the car. It probably wasn't necessary, but I figured since the car is my daily driver and I plan to leave the Hawker in full time and the difference was only $5, it is cheap insurnance.

BTW, I have the battery. I can't believe their service! It showed up two days after I ordered. It looks good. The posts look good. Can't wait to get the engine back together!
Old 03-09-2004, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Well...I hope that I made the right decision because its too late to change my mind. I went with the Hawker Genesis G16EP. I went ahead and got the posts as well even though I may not need them, but it was only $10, so what the hell.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

Well...I hope that I made the right decision because its too late to change my mind. I went with the Hawker Genesis G16EP. I went ahead and got the posts as well even though I may not need them, but it was only $10, so what the hell.
Same thing - I figured why not for $10. My wife blows more than that without even trying

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Great thread - bringing it back from the dead, heh !

I just ordered the Hawker/Genesis today with the SAE posts. Can't wait, should be here in a few days. I'll work on fabbing a mount up when it arrives, thanks for the pic Lynda/CamaroCain !

Bad30th
Old 07-17-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will like the hawker batteries,I have been useing them for several years in my race
motorcycles that would not start reliably with convetional batteries.These batteries are in many military vehicles which is a testament to their reliability.The metal jacket for the batteries is used for extreme enviorments,I do not use them in my bikes and have seen no failures.There is a wealth of tech info on these at the hawker/oddesy
web site for the currious types.I especially like the 8 to 12 year projected lifespan,
the no limit on input charging current,and 80% charge retention after 6 months of storage.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had the hawker genesis in my car for about 6 months now (using the thunder racing battery hold-down). i drive the car once every 3 weeks. its been freazing cold a few weeks ago, in the 10's, for a weeks time. the car started right up. hasn't let me down yet. and i barely drive it. so i'm happy.
one thing that is annoying, and the reason for my post, is because the gauges do the full-sweep thingy and my tripmeter resets the first time i start the car for the day. does this happen to anyone else using this type of battery?

Last edited by 2MCHPWR; 02-10-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Love my Hawker Genesis, just put it back in yesterday in prep for the track Sunday.